I got a problem, today I decided to put some strings on my bass (precision and jazz pickups) and went to a local electronics shop(whichg usually has guitar strings) to find some, but he didn't have( I have to cross islands to get to a proper guitar shop ). SO I searched around my house and managed to find some old ones which I then put on my bass, tuned and started playing.

However I immediately noticed that the low E string was almost inaudible while the A,D and G strings were fairly loud. My pickups are correctly balanced and I even re-checked them but it was all in vain.

I noticed that on my split pickup(the precision style) the low E was a little bit audible but not as the other strings. On the jazz pickup the low E is completely inaudible.

I even checked the action, but unfortunately neither that solved my problem.

Does anyone know what is the problem??
(P.S. the bass is just a cheap Stagg BC300)
Spinal Tap:
You would, though, if it were playing, because it really... it's famous for its sustain...I mean, you could, just hold it....
That's because you found old strings, which are probably dead...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Any other possibilities??
Spinal Tap:
You would, though, if it were playing, because it really... it's famous for its sustain...I mean, you could, just hold it....
Quote by Spaz91
Check the pickups, this happened on my first bas, the magnet on one side of the pickup had slipped and was underneath the other magnet.

...What?

Does your E string now make sound at all?
Raise the pickups below the E string.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
magnets don't just slip, either they are the actual pole pieces so they are held in place by the bobbin thats practically molded around them or they are bar magnets that are stuck next to the bobbins underneath the pickup and they will always work no matter where they are on the pickup aslong as the strings are still in its magnetic field
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.