I'm looking into buying a retube kit for my 6505+ to give it a creamier smooth metal sound.

The two kits I'm looking at:
Peavey 5150 II - 6505+ High Gain Option
Peavey 5150 II - 6505+ KT66-6L6GC High gain Option

I'm not all too tube savvy, so I'm a bit lost.. if anybody here knows a good sum about the tubes and their differences please let me know

thanks
-TJ
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
The second option just uses two different types of power tubes instead of one to get a slightly different sound. It seems like a good idea especially since the JJ preamp tubes in that kit are going to be rather dark and the KT66s might help keep things from getting too muddy.
Email Eurotubes about it. They're extremely helpful when it comes to answering these kinds of questions.

However, my advice: The KT66-6l6GC High Gain kit will definitely give you a creamier smooth sound. It's kind of like a combination of the British and American sounds (say the smooth rich midrange from a Marshall, and the huge bottom end of a Mesa).

The other option would basically keep your amps current tone, but add more gain.
If smooth is what you want, I would go with a gold pin 12AX7 in V1 and V2. The KT66-6L6 setup is gonna sound crunchier. as the KT66's will break up a bit sooner than the 6L6's. In that regard I would the mized quad of KT66 and 6L6's. Like I said though, the gold pin tubes do sound richer to my ears
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I thought that all the tubes in any power amp had to be matched. (except those auto-biasing ones, but I've only seen that in low power amps)

Is it really necessary to get a kit? Talk to some people about tubes (or do a few hours of googling) and you can find out the differences you'll get with all kinds of different types and brands of tubes. It'll be cheaper than those kits too.
Actually those kits are very well priced and one of the more affordable solutions in retubing the whole thing

If he wants to try another brand, Tung Sol preamp tubes sound nice in these too. Just don't tube it an all Tung Sol preamp or it will sound brittle. Tung Sol in V1 and or V2 does brighten this amp a bit

Also, amps with adjustable bias, or in the case of the 5150/6505, a bias so balls cold that it doesnt matter can run mixed quads provided you have for example one type tube in the inner sockets, another type in the outer sockets. A great sounding mix on some adjustable bias amps is EL34 inner sockets, 6L6 outer sockets as you get the best of both worlds
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by Bloodshed
If smooth is what you want, I would go with a gold pin 12AX7 in V1 and V2. The KT66-6L6 setup is gonna sound crunchier. as the KT66's will break up a bit sooner than the 6L6's. In that regard I would the mized quad of KT66 and 6L6's. Like I said though, the gold pin tubes do sound richer to my ears

My definition of "smooth" isn't what most people think of smooth (i think) When I say smooth, I mean something like He is Legend on their "91025" album.. my friend calls that crunchy.. eh

is that what you mean by smooth?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by Bloodshed
Actually those kits are very well priced and one of the more affordable solutions in retubing the whole thing

If he wants to try another brand, Tung Sol preamp tubes sound nice in these too. Just don't tube it an all Tung Sol preamp or it will sound brittle. Tung Sol in V1 and or V2 does brighten this amp a bit

Also, amps with adjustable bias, or in the case of the 5150/6505, a bias so balls cold that it doesnt matter can run mixed quads provided you have for example one type tube in the inner sockets, another type in the outer sockets. A great sounding mix on some adjustable bias amps is EL34 inner sockets, 6L6 outer sockets as you get the best of both worlds

Ah, you're right. I was only thinking of what it would cost to replace the power tubes.
I just replaced all mine with the hi-gain set. It really improved the sound, it breaks up more at lower volumes, is brighter, and sounds more full. I gave it a more saturated feel.
Quote by zhunt1130
I just replaced all mine with the hi-gain set. It really improved the sound, it breaks up more at lower volumes, is brighter, and sounds more full. I gave it a more saturated feel.

did you have to adjust the bias when you replaced the tubes?

edit: Between the Buried and Me rocks btw
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
The 5150 is non adjustable unless modded
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
When I say smooth I mean more of a rich, sweet tone. It can still be plenty ballsy, but less harsh than it sounds stock
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by touji-za-nai
did you have to adjust the bias when you replaced the tubes?

edit: Between the Buried and Me rocks btw

Like the other guy said there's only a very small fine adjustment for the bias...but bob set me up with power tubes that would get me running as hot as it would go.