I have a Mexican Fender Vintage Stratocaster, not sure what kind of wood it is (the neck is a dark brown color). I am trying to plan ahead for gear.

I want to be able to play a wide range of things, with my influences ranging from the Fall of Troy, Smashing Pumpkins, and Metallica all the way to stuff like Pearl Jam and Jimi Hendrix.

With the stock pickups, I can play Jimi Hendrix and Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" pretty accurately as far as tone is concerned when I am using the neck pickups. But when I go to try to play something Metal with, say, the bridge pickup, it sounds like a tin can.

I just want to know what the best set of pickups would be to achieve all of the styles that I want. If I had to sacrifice anything to make the other style better, however, I would much rather have a guitar that can play metal along the lines of Fall of Troy and Metallica.

I've heard Dimarzio Tone Zone S and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Screamin' Demons are good for the bridge, but which one is best, and what should I put in the other pickup slots?

OR, should I just save up my money and get an SG or something waaaay down the road and just practice with what I have? I'm sort of concerned about the Strat's quality anyway as the neck seems to have become slightly crooked already, and it's not even a year old. The action needs to be adjusted a little bit as well. I don't know how fixable all of this is, but I was going to talk to a luthier about it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, whoever reads all of this will be sent a pet triceratops in the mail.

zdlr
got pics?

also the hot rails is a good pickup maybe a JB if you want to router out the pickgaurd
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
good idea 311 I change my answer to his
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'm still practicing on the first amp that I bought, which is this 50 Watt Fender G-DEC Junior.

And sorry, no pics, but I found a picture of what is essentially the same exact thing that I have.

http://normansrareguitars.com/images/P/FenderSonicBlue.jpg

Hope this helps. Remember, I am looking for suggestions for all three pickup positions, I guess in order of their priority to achieve the sound that I want.

I know that guy from Iron Maiden plays a strat, as well as George Lynch, but that's more like 80's metal lol --

thanks for all of your help, by the way
are you talking about the neck or the fretboard? the fretboard is just rosewood.

and My suggestion is hold off on the pickups and save for an amp instead the G-dec isn't helping your tone and pickups won't make it that much better.

new pickups are to makea good thing better its not gonna make a bad thing better
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
It wont stop you playing the thing it just wont sound that good. Either change the amp settings when playing metal or put in a humbucker
budget?

if it's less than 250 a Vox AD30vt or a VJ
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I'm not in the market right now, and I'll probably just end up saving up for whatever I decide to buy anyway, but I guess nothing ridiculously expensive and over-the-top where quality is concerned. For example, I likely won't be buying Orange or Mesa-Boogie amps, but I MIGHT buy a Marshall with the appropriate effects pedals if the price was right. I'm looking to buy quality gear that will last me for a very long time, in other words.
the laney AOR protubbe 50w combo you can have for about 400 dollars it is GREAT amp for 70 80s and alterintave music a
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
practice with the guitar, its not a great one. save your money for a seriously better guitar, Gibson SG or high end Ibanez. Use that guitar untill you can't stand it any more, it'll be good practice and make you really appreciate the differences between a good guitar and a crappy one. no point in buying a low end, a mid range, and then a high end guitar... just save up for a nice one. yeah the fender is going to sound like crap for metal, the best you'll be able to do is with the selector switch on one of the combos of bridge and middle or middle and neck. An amp would also be a good sonic change.. but again thats not going to make you a better guitarist. save up for a better guitar.
Including Metallica and Fall of Troy? Remember, those are the two bands that I want to sound like the most.
get a cube then
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Depending on where you are, there are great amps used for under $450. You could spend $250 on pick ups alone, and an amp will have a more pronounced effect on your tone. Still out of your budget/league right now? Maybe closer than you think?

And you should spend a couple bucks to get your neck/bridge set up correctly.

Edit: In the $250 zone, the Cube 30 is a good option.
Around $500 is what I would probably be willing to spend at one time. I know I eventually want to get a tube amp and get all of my sound out of effects and stuff like that. I live near a lot of major cities, so I probably could find a lot of used gear in my area for sale. With all of that in mind, what would be a realistic price expectation for a more-than-decent half stack and head? If I'm gonna be spending a lot on pickups, I may just check out used SGs and stuff every once in a while because I think I may need humbuckers to get the sound that I want. In the meantime I'll just keep practicing with the guitar that I have on a good amp, and then eventually buy the other guitar.

I'm not very knowledgeable about gear, though, so I have no idea how good that plan is.
for 500 a bugera maybe?

or valveking?

ohohoh tiny terry would be perfect 500 used
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
You get more than decent combo amps for less than more than decent half stacks in that price range. Why half stack can I ask? Craigslist is a good place to check in the "music inst" section of your major cities clist site in the US.
Quote by vote ZDLR
I'm still practicing on the first amp that I bought, which is this 50 Watt Fender G-DEC Junior.

And sorry, no pics, but I found a picture of what is essentially the same exact thing that I have.

http://normansrareguitars.com/images/P/FenderSonicBlue.jpg

Hope this helps. Remember, I am looking for suggestions for all three pickup positions, I guess in order of their priority to achieve the sound that I want.

I know that guy from Iron Maiden plays a strat, as well as George Lynch, but that's more like 80's metal lol --

thanks for all of your help, by the way

Can I just say? It would be a Classic Player 60s or something like that. Good guitars. I wouldn't replace that neck pickup anyways, they're Custom Shop '69s, which are again, good. So whatever you do, keep that one.

EDIT: But replace the amp first, the GDEC won't cut the metal side of things.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 7, 2008,
I wanna say tube amps because I feel like all of the best players play tube amps, and if I ever wanted to start SERIOUSLY gigging then I would need one. I think.
Tube sure, but stack (?) is my question. You can gig with a good tube combo, many do daily.
Quote by gregs1020
Tube sure, but stack (?) is my question. You can gig with a good tube combo, many do daily.

+1 I Play 4 times a week with a tube combo
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Oh I just assumed that combos weren't tube amps. What's a good tube amp that I could buy and play everything from the Smashing Pumpkins to Fall of Troy on? Cause it sounds like I may be closer to achieving that than I thought, from what you're telling me --
What major city do you live near? Used markets vary but yes, for $500 as you stated - there are options usually.
I live close enough to Philadelphia and Delaware, or even New York City, that I could go there to buy if the deal was right.

Also, if I were to get a combo tube amp, could I use effects pedals with it? Particularly the Big Muff, for basic Smashing Pumpkins style fuzz.

I would rather spend more and get quality than spend less and get something that just "works" for a few months.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/865301536.html JTM60 for $400
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/864297060.html Purty JCM800 for $500
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/852846138.html Vox AC30CC1 for $650, just outta budget. But you get the idea, look around for something decent. And go try some amps at the store to see what you would like if you found a used one in budget.
Quote by vote ZDLR
I have a Mexican Fender Vintage Stratocaster, not sure what kind of wood it is (the neck is a dark brown color). I am trying to plan ahead for gear.

I want to be able to play a wide range of things, with my influences ranging from the Fall of Troy, Smashing Pumpkins, and Metallica all the way to stuff like Pearl Jam and Jimi Hendrix.

With the stock pickups, I can play Jimi Hendrix and Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter" pretty accurately as far as tone is concerned when I am using the neck pickups. But when I go to try to play something Metal with, say, the bridge pickup, it sounds like a tin can.

I just want to know what the best set of pickups would be to achieve all of the styles that I want. If I had to sacrifice anything to make the other style better, however, I would much rather have a guitar that can play metal along the lines of Fall of Troy and Metallica.

I've heard Dimarzio Tone Zone S and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Screamin' Demons are good for the bridge, but which one is best, and what should I put in the other pickup slots?

OR, should I just save up my money and get an SG or something waaaay down the road and just practice with what I have? I'm sort of concerned about the Strat's quality anyway as the neck seems to have become slightly crooked already, and it's not even a year old. The action needs to be adjusted a little bit as well. I don't know how fixable all of this is, but I was going to talk to a luthier about it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, whoever reads all of this will be sent a pet triceratops in the mail.

zdlr

Get it set up.
My MIM strat is about 5 years old and it hasn't needed at neck adjustments or any adjustments at all yet.

As for pickup's I'd say go for a Dimarzio tone zone or something.

But before you get new pickups... get a better amp if you are playing on anything less than about 400$.

BTW, if you are looking for a tube amp, don't get a head and stack. That will cost you a ton. Get a combo. Trust me, it will be loud enough.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Thank you all so much for your advice. What about the action on the Strat? Would it be advisable to maybe take it into the luthier and ask him to check the neck on my guitar, and then also ask him to lower the strings a little bit?

I figure with new pickups and maybe new hardware and adjustments, it will be as good as or better than a standard American strat. The neck bending concerns me, though. I can't be dealing with that lol.

thanks
You need to have the bridge adjusted and truss rod addressed. We all agree on that, it shouldn't be "bent". The bridge adjustment should sort out the action issue.