Poll: under hi gain, what gives more clarity to notes/ is clearer when shredding?
Poll Options
View poll results: under hi gain, what gives more clarity to notes/ is clearer when shredding?
stacked single coil, low output
1 6%
stacked single coil, mediumlow output
1 6%
stacked single coil, high output
1 6%
humbucker, low output
1 6%
humbucker, medium output
6 38%
humbucker, high low output
6 38%
Voters: 16.
according to my friend, stacked single coils are better for shred, because they have more clarity to each note, and still no hum. it made me wonder, what is better for hi gain shred - a stacked single coil or humbucker, and if higher output is better for clarity than low output - under hi gain.

im NOT considering buying things at the moment, i am simply curious - no 'what amp do you have?' or 'amp first' please, just imagine that its through a decent amp.

EDIT; its meant to be high output, not high low

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Oct 7, 2008,
+1 ^
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
well, on average then? or perhaps, if two pickups were custom made for clarity, which one would be more clear, the humbucker or the single coil?

Quote by metallicafan616
well, on average then? or perhaps, if two pickups were custom made for clarity, which one would be more clear, the humbucker or the single coil?

It's impossible to hypothetically say which pickup would be better.

BUT: In my experience, stacked single coils/single sized humbuckers tend to be muddier than normal humbuckers.
Quote by SG thrasher
It's impossible to hypothetically say which pickup would be better.

BUT: In my experience, stacked single coils/single sized humbuckers tend to be muddier than normal humbuckers.

+1.
+1 again
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
ok then, sadly i know next to nothing about pickups except that every metal player except me loves EMGs for some reason - so can someone else suggest some clear pickups that could help me come to a conclusion?

Dimarzio's Humbucker from Hell comes to mind. Even when not split it sounds like a bell.

As for single coil/humbucker pairs, the Seymour Duncan Alinco II Pros, the APH (humbucker) and APS (single) can be compared without any problems. Just make sure the guitars' woods are the same. They may not do brutal metal, but Slash does use the APH...
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by metallicafan616
ok then, sadly i know next to nothing about pickups except that every metal player except me loves EMGs for some reason - so can someone else suggest some clear pickups that could help me come to a conclusion?

I don't like EMGs anymore. The only guitar I'd put them in is a 7 string. My passive pickups in all my guitars rape EMGs imo.

In comparison:

The DiMarzio Tone Zone S I had in my Strat was great, very similar sounding to the full-sized Tone Zone in my Ibanez. However, it wasn't quite as clear sounding, but could still definitely bring teh br00talz. I thought the cleans on the Tone Zone S were a bit better though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by metallicafan616

I've been through the EMG phase, I'm not a fan anymore.
I play metal and I use a true single coil...albeit 21k, it's still a true single coil.
If you use high gain - low output pickups are the best - FACT

it tightens up the sound and leaves space in the sound so it doesn't become messy

Anyone who thinks high output with high gain is the best - get out the cellar and read up on the stage guys!

Stacked probably aren't microphonic and give a thinner sound generally with high gain, but most if not every stacked are muddy to muddy as hell (especially with cleans) - but if its hard rock or metal - go for medium or low output stacked.
Quote by davedoom

it tightens up the sound and leaves space in the sound so it doesn't become messy

Anyone who thinks high output with high gain is the best - get out the cellar and read up on the stage guys!

Stacked probably aren't microphonic and give a thinner sound generally with high gain, but most if not every stacked are muddy to muddy as hell (especially with cleans) - but if its hard rock or metal - go for medium or low output stacked.

It's not fact, that's your opinion.
Quote by davedoom

really? why do all those famous metal guitarists use high output pickups then? i don't mean to sound like i think your wrong if i do, im just confused now

Quote by metallicafan616
according to my friend, stacked single coils are better for shred, because they have more clarity to each note, and still no hum...
I might be alone on this, but if you're looking for clarity, I think one of the tightest and coolest metal sounds I've ever gotten came from strats with the bridge and middle pups in parallel.

Simple and odd perhaps, doesn't change the fact that IMHO, it worked. Great clarity under ridiculous levels of gain, and a big punchy sound to boot. Maybe not the highest output, but like I said, it worked.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"

Hi gain + High output = More Distortion, less clarity.

using high output pickups with hi gain amps does make your tone very distorted, but you lose clarity. high on high makes your tone muddy. i say get some lower output pickups. hell, EVH's pickups measured "0" when they were testing output for the reproduction of "Frankenstrat".
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

using high output pickups with hi gain amps does make your tone very distorted, but you lose clarity. high on high makes your tone muddy. i say get some lower output pickups. hell, EVH's pickups measured "0" when they were testing output for the reproduction of "Frankenstrat".

that makes sense i guess, ill look into some medium output pickups, generally low aernt quite right for my tone - and i need an amp first

yeah, low to medium. Slash uses alnico II humbuckers, and he has a pretty good distorted sound.
i'd say maybe a set of seymour duncan 59's or a hot rodded humbucker set (JB for Bridge, Jazz for neck).
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by SG thrasher
It's not fact, that's your opinion.

ah yes, you are stating a fact.....

though if you listen to a wide range of guitarists.......ah never mind...

why i didn't put it that way.....

thanks!
Last edited by davedoom at Oct 7, 2008,
it depends I guess; using EMGs with my Mesa I get really crunchy distorted tones, and the clean tones are actuallly quite nice now that I've messed with my amp even more, but if you're talking about dynamics on the distortion? no, high output pickups like EMGs aren't great for that; I can only really roll off about halfway before my treble becomes quieter and the sound becomes muddier and bassier. Granted, splitting the coil of the EMG instantly resolves that, but in full humbucking mode it just doesn't happen. Now, something like a Seymour Duncan JB can get really crunchy with high gain, and can do cleans pretty well (at least for me), but roll off the volume a LOT better than high output pickups like EMGs.

However, I've also used regular single coils in a high gain amp setting, and they're A LOT noisier than humbuckers, but offer a unique clarity and crispness. Sadly, they're not fat and fail at being really brutal. Stacked single coils or high output single coils can get a bit more brutal, but aren't idea for uber crunch.

If you're looking for really extreme clarity with high gain, and play more shred inspired stuff, go the Yngwie route; use really low output pickups boosted by a pedal (in his case a DOD 250), into a high gain, cranked amp; even though his marshall is pretty distorted, when he goes for high notes it's damn clean, almost like it's not through the same amp.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
If you're looking for really extreme clarity with high gain, and play more shred inspired stuff, go the Yngwie route; use really low output pickups boosted by a pedal (in his case a DOD 250), into a high gain, cranked amp; even though his marshall is pretty distorted, when he goes for high notes it's damn clean, almost like it's not through the same amp.

I've been thinking about that since my friend brought this up, if they are noiseless and give a better tone for shred why do most metal guitarists or shred guitarists use humbuckers instead? would it work to bypass the whole pedal + mid gain amp bit and just get a hi gain amp with the gain at about 6?

i think i'm agreeing with people that low output + hi gain works best, it does make sense that less distortion is clearer - ut i still want to know which pickup type

Quote by SG thrasher
Yeah, good job, just presume I'm close minded because I play some metal. It must get cold up there on your pedestal.

Did i ever say that?

Oh no you dont have to worry its not cold davedoom's pedelstal has climate control and everything man not to hot not to cold, just right
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Last edited by angusslashdime at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by angusslashdime
Oh no you dont have to worry its not cold davedoom's pedelstal has climate control and everything man not to hot not to cold, just right

Correct!
Quote by sesstreets
Wait.. whats wrong with EMGS?

nothing, i just don't like the tone. my opinion, but most metal guitarists love it.