Hey guys,

I'm in a 4 piece band. We have been recording 1 track at a time into Mixcraft 3, but are not very satisfied with the results/process. We want a new way to record and I am a little confused about what I should get.

For our recordings we have drums, 2 guitars, bass, and 2 or 3 vocals tracks.

Now my question is basically this:

Should I get a multi-track recorder, such as the fostex 8 track, or should I get a firewire interface such as the firepod?

I do not have a good computer. It lags all the time when recording in Mixcraft, and so I was thinking about going with a multi-track, but i don't know.

I have a 350 dollar budget.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! thanks
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Look on ebay for a used PreSonus FP10, you can probably find one for $350. They usually sell for $400 new now. With firewire connection and 8 inputs you have plenty of inputs for the drum mics and there's lots of outs so you can do personal monitor mixes if needed.

MTRs are higher in price and you wont find one for your needs around that price that's worth using IMO.

To speed the PC up a little, try putting some more RAM/Memory which isnt too high in price. I got two 1GB sticks for $40 at newegg for my PC. Slickdeals.net normally has great rebates and such for all the stores. Keep an eye out there.
hey thanks for the help, the only thing that I realized upon more research, is that my computer does not have a firewire port.

so does this mean that i have to buy a new computer, or should i go with a multitrack recorder?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
If you wanted to record all of your guitars/ drums/ vocals simultaneously, you would need a mixing board which you would then connect to your interface/ computer.

Personally, the only DA audio interface I have ever worked with so far is the Presonus Firebox. It's a smaller version than the Fireport, it has only 2 analog pre-amped inputs, but it gets very little latency and it only cost me about $350 Canadian (brand new).