Yeah, Green Day sucks, but my girlfriend wants me to play a song of theirs for her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a73Y40Qqodo

Not sure if she is implying that I'm crazy, but whatever.

Plus, I feel kind of silly playing this on an Explorer.

Whatever. Any suggestions.

Gain:
Bass:
Middle:
Treble:
Reverb:
That chord progression is ripped off from Canon in D.

EDIT: Actually the melody is extremely similar too. That's really impressive songwriting...

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Oct 7, 2008,
This video is not available in your country.
Shit...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

You need to give us your amp.

Does your girlfriend where an excessive amount of eyeliner?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
You need to give us your amp.

Does your girlfriend where an excessive amount of eyeliner?

Heh. No, she doesn't. It's a Peavey, Festival, or some shit. Pretty old-ish.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
Wow, check out all the stereotyping in this thread (Checker .. )

But check the ultimate settings thread.

Btw, alot lot lot of songs have the same chord progressions. It's not uncommon. Or even rare.

There is an ultimate settings thread?! =D
<3
Good for her. Just assumed cause of the Greenday...

That tone isn't that complicated. Try a lot of treble and mids, a decent amount of gain, on the bridge pup - most likely with the tone and volume at 10.

Plus I highly doubt she's gonna chime in and say, "Your too boxy, turn your mids down."

Bad taste in music can definitely be grounds for breaking up by the way...

@ the panda guy...
It's definitely not uncommon. The Canon in D progression has been used countless times. The Graduation Song by Vitamin C, Goldfinger, Avril Lavigne, countless others... everyone uses it.

I wanna hear some secondary dominants, or some flat VII's... something analytically interesting.

I know not everyone is a music major, and stuff like this works for them. Nothing wrong with that. There's a time and a place for everything.

Yes, I have an extreme sense of arrogance and superiority.

EDIT: To OP, what kind of explorer do you have?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Checker
Good for her. Just assumed cause of the Greenday...

That tone isn't that complicated. Try a lot of treble and mids, a decent amount of gain, on the bridge pup - most likely with the tone and volume at 10.

Plus I highly doubt she's gonna chime in and say, "Your too boxy, turn your mids down."

Bad taste in music can definitely be grounds for breaking up by the way...

@ the panda guy...
It's definitely not uncommon. The Canon in D progression has been used countless times. The Graduation Song by Vitamin C, Goldfinger, Avril Lavigne, countless others... everyone uses it.

Are you Rob Paravonian in disguise?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Checker

Rob Paravonian?
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by Checker

EDIT: Actually the melody is extremely similar too. That's really impressive songwriting...

Go lesson to Valley Of the Damned by Dragonforce.
That is even more ripped off canon :P

Well anyway...it's just an overdrive sound. No one can tell you how to set your amp unless they have the same guitar and amp as you. Figure it out yourself.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
do you have any idea how many songs are ripped off of canon in d? I'm sick of all the ragging on green day. Odds are if you were between the age of 8 and 30 in the 90s you liked them, everyone jumps on the anti-green day band wagon now. They wrote good catchy songs, and who cares if billie joe isn't that good of a guitar player, did he ever claim to be amazing? Keep wanking on the pentatonic scale and see how big YOUR band makes it
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I don't think you really need to worry about tone if your girlfriend is asking you to play, unless she plays too.
Quote by shredmeiser101
do you have any idea how many songs are ripped off of canon in d? I'm sick of all the ragging on green day. Odds are if you were between the age of 8 and 30 in the 90s you liked them, everyone jumps on the anti-green day band wagon now. They wrote good catchy songs, and who cares if billie joe isn't that good of a guitar player, did he ever claim to be amazing? Keep wanking on the pentatonic scale and see how big YOUR band makes it

Okay, I don't really like most of greendays new stuff...and their old stuff is okay, and some of it is actually pretty good...but..When you go on muchmusic and you say "I don't even like most of our own songs anymore" you're a ****ing fool...and yes Billie Joe did say that...He should just quit music if he's only doing it for bitches & money. When you write a pop rock opera, and then start insulting the ENTIRE punk scene by saying something like "there aren't any good punk bands anymore". Billie needs to take the stick out of his ass, and not be such a dick to a scene that he would be nowhere without. I don't say this defending metal, cause I dislike the majority of it, but Billie is a bad guitar player...not because his riffs are just powerchord progressions, and not just because his solos are easy to play, but because he doesn't even write music that he likes.
Quote by steven seagull
Are you Rob Paravonian in disguise?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

Maybeh. O.o

My old theory teacher showed me this guy once... I love.

Quote by shredmeiser101

That's what I was saying... it's ripped off by everyone already... that makes it even worse that they did it again.

I wasn't really saying anything anti-Greenday. Just that that song was bad. Sure I made a joke or two... Oh noes. I don't even think anyway ragged on them in this thread... so... where exactly is this coming from?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Swap-Meet
Okay, I don't really like most of greendays new stuff...and their old stuff is okay, and some of it is actually pretty good...but..When you go on muchmusic and you say "I don't even like most of our own songs anymore" you're a ****ing fool...and yes Billie Joe did say that...He should just quit music if he's only doing it for bitches & money. When you write a pop rock opera, and then start insulting the ENTIRE punk scene by saying something like "there aren't any good punk bands anymore". Billie needs to take the stick out of his ass, and not be such a dick to a scene that he would be nowhere without. I don't say this defending metal, cause I dislike the majority of it, but Billie is a bad guitar player...not because his riffs are just powerchord progressions, and not just because his solos are easy to play, but because he doesn't even write music that he likes.

so f*ckin what, he can say whatever he wants about his own music, it's HIS music. And he also has the right to have an opinion
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by edusty2010
This is what you do! Pick up your guitar, play random notes, and scream "I'M A SELLOUT!!! YEAH AMERICAN POLITICS ARE SCREWED!!! POTS SO COOL!!!", then BANG you're just like green day!

Only heard American Idiot eh?

And "Pots so cool!!!"...Green Day's not the only band that's made a song centering around being stoned buddy.
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
Only heard American Idiot eh?

And "Pots so cool!!!"...Green Day's not the only band that's made a song centering around being stoned buddy.

It was a joke man I've heard all green day's old stuff (my girlfriend loves them so I end up hearing it).

Do I care they're music is about politics and weed? No, not really. That seems to be what gets on the radio now, so if they're cool with it then let them write it.

And that's why dusty doesn't listen to the radio kids
Quote by shredmeiser101

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS BAD AT WANKING THE PENTATONIC SCALE
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by rocktag
Easy solution = Tell your girlfriend to listen to slayer.

Then you can date the girl in the Slayer jacket.

(+1 internet to whoever gets the reference...)
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Swap-Meet

Do you have a link to where he said this? I searched and couldn't find it. It sound like it might have been taken out of context.

By the way... Bitches and money? He has a wife. And what does writing music he (supposedly) doesn't like have to do with being a bad guitar player?
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 8, 2008,
it's amusing watch everybody jump on the hate band wagon

i bet deep down everybody who say's they hate them for the fact that they rip off music or sell out or what ever actaully like's there music. To be fair i think they're music is pretty alright and i really like there old stuff. doesnt mean i have to agree with what they say, do or indeed what they have done with their music i.e. sell out.. im in it to listen to the music, not get worked up about what some dude is doing behind the scenes.

to the TS just mess around with your amp settings and see what you like best, make it your own interpration, im sure she'll appriecate it more if you add your own little touch to it.
can any one tell me some songs that are pretty easy and like basic...

im a beginner but im tryin to pick up some good songs so ya, help me out...

feel free to message me or w/e, pce =]
Quote by shredmeiser101

Who actually uses the pentatonic scale for anything other than like blues?

Maybe it's just me, I always get a bluesy sounding solo out of pentatonic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Quote by JohanthePirat
Who actually uses the pentatonic scale for anything other than like blues?

Maybe it's just me, I always get a bluesy sounding solo out of pentatonic. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert, Slash, Jimmy Page

It's only bluesy if you play blues licks...pentatonic scales are common in Asian music, they didn't start with the blues y'know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by werty22
Do you have a link to where he said this? I searched and couldn't find it. It sound like it might have been taken out of context.

By the way... Bitches and money? He has a wife. And what does writing music he (supposedly) doesn't like have to do with being a bad guitar player?

No, i saw it when a few years ago on Muchmusic, it was in an interview, where he knocked NOFX, and another band like them. The bitches and money thing I was only using as a metaphor for the perks of being a rockstar...and just cause you're married doesn't mean you don't cheat on your wife.

and no it wasn't taken out of context he actually did say "I don't even like the music we play anymore"...well that may not be the exact line but it was something with the same meaning.

Quote by shredmeiser101
so f*ckin what, he can say whatever he wants about his own music, it's HIS music. And he also has the right to have an opinion

Why write music if you don't like your own music?

American Idiot really wasn't that great of an album, even when Green Day used to be my favourite band, I couldn't listen to that whole album on my way to school. The only reason why it was so big was because it was their first album in 4 years + the whole pop-punk / emo trend was really starting to take off at the time.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 9, 2008,
There is a difference between convergence and ripping off. I don't think anybody thought "OH LOOK IT'S CANNON IN D, LET'S RIP THIS ****ER OFF!"

Check out the Ultimate Settings thread, Green Day is there I think...

As for the rest of you, do what that other guy say said and wank to your pentatonic scale.