Oh-kay, so next term we have a lunch time thing coming up where you can turn up and build stuff using the schools DT equipment. Heres what were planning on doing:

Case Wheels

okay, one day me and chris(guitarist in band)were caryying his guitar in some big ass sqaure case and we decided we were going to make attatchable wheels for the big sqaure cases.So it will be easier seeing as you could drag it along the ground.

Double Amp
because the wheels is such a short project we decided we were also going to make a double amp, it would work like two amps in one. There will be seperate volume, gains knobs etcetc. A single jack plugin each, but will share the same switch. We already have the knobs and such because chris took apart the amp that came with his guitar seeing as he already had a peavey one. Were planning on calling the amp: Vanity Double. Due to the name of our band
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Bluerock Begginers 10W Amp
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Les Paul Copy(Fixing up to be good)
oh sorry.
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
+1 for the wheels.

"Double amps", as you call them, have been around for years. Just the other day, me and a friend plugged into an OLD Peavey. It had 2 channels and I think two tonestacks. Anyway, the amp build is gonna be nearly impossible for a beginner and retardedly difficult for an intermediate. Build a few small easy amps first. Just letting you know.
Quote by kurtlives91
Adding or having wheels on a amp is one of the worst things you can do. Regardless if it is tube or SS.

I always thought wheels were great for acoustic isolation to prevent vibrations...

Elaborate plz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It could cut some of your bass if your playing on hardwood?

just shooting the bull until we get a 'definitive' answer.
hmmmmm.....Thinking about the amp im starting to change my mind....Anyone think a pedal would be easier?
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
Quote by Invader Jim
It probably kills tone or some stupid thing.

Well in the long run tone will definitely come up.... And tone is nothing stupid

One example...Tubes, get very hot, they have lots of fragile intricate pieces in them. If you start moving around an amp that was recently been shut off the movement and vibrations can cause your tubes to internally fail. If not fail your tubes will become micro-phonic much much quicker. Either of these things are good at all.

Also vibrations and movement are in no way beneficial. All its going is loosing bolts and screws and adding extra strain to the amp.

Vibration is the killer in audio equipment.... Think about all the "fragile" parts inside an amp. Ya some amps are tanks but others aren't. Either way you want to minimize the strain you put on the amp. For those who have PCB tubes amps this can be quite the problem. Tubes get very hot inside, cause PCB to warm, the tube mounted sockets shift, PCB warps, thing starts to crack. You don't want to be rolling around a hot piece of electronic plastic while it is trying to cool down.

Anyways...
Quote by superkal1
hmmmmm.....Thinking about the amp im starting to change my mind....Anyone think a pedal would be easier?

Pedals are considerably easier. Building an AX84 amp isn't terribly difficult, but you are still working with lethal voltages and are certain to get zapped at some point. Try your hand at pedals first. If you've built nothing like this before, might I suggest getting some kind of experience first.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Well ill have help from the school DT teachers so that might be a good idea.
EDIT:ive just seen on the byoc website that you can download instructions.Im gonna download the instructions and see if the teachers have parts to build it.
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come
I'm planning to build this amp for fun soon. It's supposed to be okay.

http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

It's an easy project and you should have enough time to build a simple case for it. A few components may be required that the school doesn't have but it's a very cheap amp to build (I think I costed it at under £10 + plus speaker)
Last edited by unininium at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by kurtlives91
Well in the long run tone will definitely come up.... And tone is nothing stupid

Sorry about that...Vicadin makes me angry. What you said definately makes sense though.
Quote by halvies
yeh go a pedal, get a BYOC kit if ur new, then once u've got the hang of it, try etching ur own board and making one from scratch

Don't get a BYOC kit, they're ripoffs.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
So im gonna download the instructions for the distortion pedal and get my teacher to help me build one from the instructions.
Gear
Ibanez GRG170DX
Bluerock Begginers Strat
Fender Acoustic
Lne 6 Spider 3 15
Gear to come