Hopefully this is the correct forum. I have owned my Jackson for +-1.5 years now and the only string that has ever snapped on my guitar is the high E. It is obviously the thinnest string and possibly at the highest tension (just guessing here :p but is it possible that a badly set up guitar (action, intonation) can cause easy snaps?
Quote by 21Fretter
Hopefully this is the correct forum. I have owned my Jackson for +-1.5 years now and the only string that has ever snapped on my guitar is the high E. It is obviously the thinnest string and possibly at the highest tension (just guessing here :p but is it possible that a badly set up guitar (action, intonation) can cause easy snaps?

The neck could be some what warped? Also I remember, Eddie Van Halen boiled his strings, said they keep them from snapping. Try it.
There may be what's called a 'spur' on the saddle of the bridge. That accounts for it sometimes. Additionally - watch how hard you hit the strings. I was very heavy handed for the first couple of years i played, and i broke a lot of strings. In time, if that's the problem, the more sure you become of yourself the less it'll happen.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Personally, I've only had a low E and a high E snap, it just happens over time.
I hope you haven't had the same strings for 1.5 years. o.0
But you'd know if you had bad intonation, you'd get fret buzz (methinks).
Quote by Niczawr
The neck could be some what warped? Also I remember, Eddie Van Halen boiled his strings, said they keep them from snapping. Try it.

Not likely. There's probably a bur in the bridge. Where does the string snap? When does it happen?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by Froboarder
Personally, I've only had a low E and a high E snap, it just happens over time.
I hope you haven't had the same strings for 1.5 years. o.0

That would explain a lot :P Naah, change about once every one/two months My most recent snap was during a full step bend and if i remember correctly, it often snaps quite high up near the nut and sometimes right off the tuning pegs. I do play quite hard though, must admit.

P.S Thanks for the speedy replies guys!
You change your strings once a month? That's the problem. If you play over an hour a day, you should change them every four days or so. The toxins on your fingers are acidic and corrode the strings.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Every 4 days!?! Wow, I have truly always been under the impression that once a month is pretty solid but i generally do change the strings the moment i feel corrosion (living by the ocean can't help either I imagine ).
Last edited by 21Fretter at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by strat0blaster
You change your strings once a month? That's the problem. If you play over an hour a day, you should change them every four days or so. The toxins on your fingers are acidic and corrode the strings.

Every 8-10 hours of playing is what is suggested by string companies, though obviously this is for top super high performance sound (also they make more money he more you buy strings)

I play for 1-3 hours a day, and I change strings every 5 weeks or so (unless I am broke, as is the current situation). The only time I've ever broken a string is when I strung my high E wrong, and it snapped when I was tuning up. I am guessing your nut is sharp, have a look-see at it to try and find a potentially harmful edge. or put less string through the hole on the tuner when you string your guitar, so that you have to turn the tuner a few more times to get to tune. I find that having 4-6 winds around the high E and B strings works well, and 3 on the rest.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
if it's snapping at the nut it's because there's either too much tension in the nut or some sharp edge. i've never tried this myself, because i've never had the problem, but i've heard that taking a thin mechanical pencil and getting the graphite all around the nut will really lube it up. the other option is to pop out the nut and take some fine (1500) sandpaper to it to get rid of any edges.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
I just broke 2 Ernie Ball high e strings, in the last month. Mine breaks at the ball end though, it seems to come unwound. What could be my problem? Am i just bending too hard?