Howdy.
I'm in the market to buy a new half-stack.

My budget is £600. MAX. Not exactly in the market of JCM900s, but hopefully I can get something decent to gig and practice with.

I'd like something with a warm, rich tone. One that's pretty versatile and will work well with my pedals/processors/mixer, etc.

Plus, I'd like the cab to be pretty sturdy, reliable and not sound like shite.

Anyways, if I haven't described it well enough, be sure to tell me and I'll try and explain a bit more.

Thanks in advance
Why a half stack and not a tube combo? What type of music do you play most and what guitars are you using?
I think Laney GH50l and cab would be great for you, seeing as your a brit. Head is about £350 new, obv much less second hand, and i think same story with the cab. You dont have to get the laney cab though, there are other cabs that come cheap, harley benton (thomann) do a 4x12 with celecstion v-30s for £250.
you will NOT be able to find a new half stack with a "warm" "rich" tone for 600 bucks
go for a USED tube combo. its loud. it sounds good.
and you WONT want to return your shit product in a few months for an upgrade.
and spider IIIs and marshall MG's are not your answer if you were wondering.

go TUBE
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by gregs1020
Why a half stack and not a tube combo? What type of music do you play most and what guitars are you using?

I don't have problems with hauling around the half-stack + I feel you get a lot more options with it.

I have:
Ibanez ART100
Ibanez AS103
and some Strat knock off, but ^ those are what I play with.

Being in college doing a music performance course, I get given a lot of varied pieces, anything from Reggae and Jazz to 80s Rock.
Quote by maiden_mexico
you will NOT be able to find a new half stack with a "warm" "rich" tone for 600 bucks

go TUBE

600 pounds... 1200 dollars...
Quote by maiden_mexico

go TUBE

Total fail.

He is the UK which means his budget is about $1100.

All of the questions have already been asked about new/used, matching appearance, etc. so I won't bother to ask those again.
Quote by Kyle.E
I don't have problems with hauling around the half-stack + I feel you get a lot more options with it.

you will get much more versatility from a combo amp with pedals added on.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by jarudy
Music styles?
Used?
Do you need the cab to match in looks?
etc.

Look at previous post
Though I'd rather one used, It's not a guarantee tha tI could get one used round here, so, giving me advice on gear that may be £250 over the limit new, but £100 under limit used doesn't help me that much as it all depends on availability and the person I'm buying from :/

I don't really mind if the cab and head looked quite different, but it's always nice to get one that has similarity between the two

EDIT: Maiden, I find your post to be quite patronising, sorry if this isn't how you intended to come across, but I have done a fair bit of research and have looked around some local shops. I'm here asking because I thought a 3rd party opinion could be valuable
Last edited by Kyle.E at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by i_am_metalhead

He is the UK which means his budget is about $1100.

All of the questions have already been asked about new/used, matching appearance, etc. so I won't bother to ask those again.

OOOO sorry i didnt see the pound sign.
1100 will still get you a good tube combo.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
check used online, you can get a real crazy bargain if you keep looking everyday.... but i still think a GH50L would be the best option for you...
the recommendation of a laney gh50 was good, it's a nice amp. I thought so at least when I tried it.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by maiden_mexico

OOOO sorry i didnt see the pound sign.
1100 will still get you a good tube combo.

Or you could get a decent tube head and a nice used cab. He has already made it clear that he wants a half stack, not a combo. You are clearly one of those people who have jumped on the "Tube combos pwn everything else" bandwagon.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 7, 2008,
Thanks for the reccomendations on Laney amp, I'll have a look at it tomorrow, hopefully they'll have it in a shop near me so I can try it out

I'll scout round on ebay now, see what the average price is for a used amp head, then maybe I'll have enough left to get the cab new.

Thanks for the help guys
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You are clearly one of those people who have jumped on the "Tube combos pwn everything else" bandwagon.

I do believe they are more practical in a lot of cases so I ask but hey - it's his money/life. I would say the Laney GH50 or L20H, or Tiny Terror would work with a good used cab and stay in budget. It depends on what kind of headroom you need for cleans. Also - I'm not sure what the used market is for heads over there - but would be worth checking into.
Carvin XB412 - Direct: $999.99

Egnater 20 watt rebel head - $599.99
+Vox Custom Classic 60w 2x12 Extension Cabinet - 349.99 = 949.98
or
Egnater 2x12 Extension Cabinet - 449.99 = 1049.98

or anyother cab under 600$.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i have a 210 bass amp and i'd much rather haul a head and cab than my amp all in one go

for that budget, peavey windsor is worth a look

so is the peavey classic, but thats available in a 112 combo too

the GH would do, but i'd rather have the VH for those uses as it has a proper clean channel.

VC30 is right up your street too, £350 ish and you can get extension cabs for it.
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.