well I am newb & some1 gave me a guitar (classic very old ) , its sound bad ,well as newb i bought for it steel gibson strings (yeah i know i know ....) then everyone here told me tht i hv to buy nylon strings for it & i did , gibson nylon strings so when i remove the old & pput new one instead , I started tunning when i finish i playe all the strings to find tht they hv lost tune specially on the B string , I tuned it back again but it just keep losin tune , is it normal or i damaged my guitar or what , cuz when i restringed for the 1st time it went perfect , pls need ur ASAP.
the strings will stretch when you first put them on so it will take a while for them to keep in tune.
strings need time to stretch. They will come out of tune for a while depending on how often you play.

You also probably did not stretch the strings properly
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
how long does it take for them to stretch? i practice alot , does it mean i hv to stop playin for few days
You could boil your strings. That would only take about 30 minutes or so.

Eh? I've never heard of that trick.

Patience is a virtue, TS, nylon strings take longer to stretch and set in than steel strings. Give them a few firm but not strong tugs (you can break strings easily if you're not careful) and play it a lot. They'll set after a few days.
Quote by confusius
Eh? I've never heard of that trick.

Patience is a virtue, TS, nylon strings take longer to stretch and set in than steel strings. Give them a few firm but not strong tugs (you can break strings easily if you're not careful) and play it a lot. They'll set after a few days.

People do that to clean them too.
I've never bother, geez, replace them.

Thread starter,
Retune, play, retune play, if they keep going badly out of tune after a few days, you have another problem.
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
Which is strings slipping at the tuning post, I guess?

Even so, give the guitar more time, if it's an old classical guitar there may have been some form of neck tension variation that might have unsettled the guitar a bit or something similar(That was a wild guess), so patience is a virtue and persistence is the key to success.
Quote by lipscombaaron
You could boil your strings. That would only take about 30 minutes or so.

no, fail, only to be used with old bass strings
No... you're all wrong. haha. You can boil strings as long as they're metal strings. I don't think classical strings will make it through a boil...
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Boiling them is an urban myth. They need time to stretch, just tune it every time you play it and in 2 or 3 days they will settle down and stay in tune longer.
No... it's not an urban myth. For bass strings, it cleans off all the gunk so you can reuse them.
Equipment:

if you wrap less of the strings around the tuning post, there will be less string to stretch, and will therefore slip out less.

I generally wrap the string twice around the post. but if you do it 5 times it is easier to slip out of tune.
No no, don't get new strings. Wait it out. It's been what, 2 days since you've changed? They should be setting.
nylon strings can take up to 2 weeks to settle.
Equipment: