Im talking about bands like Putrid Pile, etc that play live shows, have only 1 or 2 members, and play along to backing tracks while playing their instruments, maybe doing vocals, or whatever. Do you like to see that, think its interesting? Do you think its annoying and stupid? Do you think it allows more people to make songs exactly to their tastes instead of having to deal with band issues? A sign of laziness and lack of effort to put any real work in and deal with members? A sign that the band is hard working because they have to do more work? All thoughts appreciated!
IMO backing tracks is only acceptable if it's something extremely difficult to recreate on stage, like a huge choir or an orchestra of 50 people. Even if it's just one or two people that's making the music you should always be able to find session musicians for a live show or two.
It can look pretty stupid with just one or two people on stage and have multiple instruments prerecorded.
Iv seen some bad a$$ metal bands with 2 or 3 members that use a few sound bits here and there, but play the majority of the music....depends on what extent they utilize backing tracks or pre-recorded music...

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Are shit.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
toxic holocaust arent shit man, and putrid pile is ****ing awesome. honestly, bands can do whatever the hell they want, as long as it sounds good. when i saw toxic holocaust they had live musicians, and were awesome. and putrid pile can clearly pull it off really well.
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
depends on the artist, but for most part I'd prefer they get live session musicians. Kroda for instance is only made up of 2 people, but they get musicians from friends in other bands when they do play live. It makes for much more entertaining show

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I've seen Insidious Decrepancy live a few times, and the only line-up is him playing to a drum machine and bass track. You'd think it wouldn't be that great, but he ****ing slays.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I haven’t seen this much with metal bands in my area (although there are very few of them which could be why). I have seen it with various cover bands though. I think it depends on the situation, I don’t have a problem with some pre recorded bits but I like to see the main instruments played live.
It wasn’t a metal band but I remember seeing a cover band with 3 guitarists playing to a bass and drum backing track, that was just ****ing stupid.
Yeah, even Nile has a live session bass player, cause why would they have backing bass? That would suck.
I think its not a sign of laziness, maybe the musicians are too broke to get session musicians and have a hard time finding decent people to join their band. I have that problem now, there's not a decent drummer in my area but my friend Austin and he's got 2 projects and he's into metalcore rather than tech death. Or on the other hand, a drum machine and pre recorded bass tracks are perfect for the musician who wants to deliver a flawless performance on stage, especially with no timing issues, that's a big advantage if you wanna just concentrate on the music and maybe you're not used to playing a beat off tempo, I'm a perfectionist like that. I think as long as it sounds good and its done with either of these factors its perfectly fine. Besides, bassists and drummers are hard to find these days.
Quote by Guitarmike123
IMO backing tracks is only acceptable if it's something extremely difficult to recreate on stage, like a huge choir or an orchestra of 50 people. Even if it's just one or two people that's making the music you should always be able to find session musicians for a live show or two.
It can look pretty stupid with just one or two people on stage and have multiple instruments prerecorded.

pretty much.
it all depends on how it's done, and in what kind of music. in something like thrash, hell no. even in death metal, for the most part, hell no. but in something like atmospheric black or funeral doom i MIGHT be okay with it. once again, it would all depend on how it was done.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Shawn Whitakers facial expressions and guitar playing make Insidious Decrepancy pretty fun to watch. His facial expressions are truly one of a kind.
As long as the band puts on a good show, what does it matter how many people are present on stage?

Heck, there are quite a few metal bands out there that are one man projects. It seems to happen mostly within black metal (e.g. Horde, Drastus) or with bands that utilize electronica in their music.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.