After having some issues with the Vypyr 75 and ultimately getting my money back, among other things I realized 15 watts is more than enough for me. However, I'm not sure if I should get the Peavey Vypyr 15 or the Line 6 Spider III 15.

The downsides of the Peavey are an unadjustable very aggressive noise gate and shoddy construction, with a speaker that distorts and rattles when you add on much volume. But on the upside, it does sound really good.

The downsides of the Line 6 are it's not as versatile as the Peavey and its tones aren't quite as good as the Peavey. However, after poking around Youtube some people have been able to make some really good tones with their Line 6. Also I imagine the Line 6 is more solidly constructed than the Peavey.

Any thoughts or advice?
Well,son, I have a spider 3 and i love it. I dont care what everyone on this site says. Its a decent amp, and with the right EQ you can make it sound great
i like the peavey better, if you think its hard to adjust then the line 6 will be a nightmare
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
There are other options in the 15W range, I would say look around and dont limit yourself to those 2. Go out to some shops (if you can) and test run a few - most here will say NO to the line 6 (myself included) however some people love them...its a matter of personal taste

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
There are other options in the 15W range, I would say look around and dont limit yourself to those 2. Go out to some shops (if you can) and test run a few - most here will say NO to the line 6 (myself included) however some people love them...its a matter of personal taste

Every bit of that. I did like the Vypyr 15 watt for $99. Hard to beat really but it's up to your ears in the end. Cube and VoxAD also, 5 watts may be enough for you so try them as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
After doing my research the Peavey and the Line 6 are the two I've come down to. I know there are other options out there, but those are the two I prefer so that's why I'm trying to decide between the two of them.

I will say one other downside to Peavey is their customer support. If you e-mail them, which I've done multiple times, they never respond.

I appreciate the comments. Keep 'em coming.
Have you played a Roland Cube 20? I know you say you've narrowed it down to those two options, but Cubes get lots of praise.
I do appreciate the suggestions pointing me in other directions as I know you're all just trying to help, but really, I'm just trying to decide between the Peavey and the Line 6. It's going to be one of the two.
Peavey. You've owned it, you're familiar with it.
Line 6 tone is just bad. Construction and reliability there isn't going to be an improvement over Peavey.
You must have had a defective vypyr because my 75 does not have any of the issues that you described. Did you try to exchange it at least once?
Quote by TheEsupremacy
You must have had a defective vypyr because my 75 does not have any of the issues that you described. Did you try to exchange it at least once?

I did exchange it once, and the replacement was just as defective and built even more poorly than the first one so I simply got a refund at that point. I did learn something from the experience though, that being that 75 watts is actually way more than I need.
Last edited by Amelon at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
Home or gig?
New or used?
Music Style?
Closest city?
Superchamp?

^This

I know you said you are down to those two but it doesn't seem like you are happy with either so why not expand your selection? I personally have not played either, well I played a Spider briefly, and I am certainly not against the Vypyrs.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^This

I know you said you are down to those two but it doesn't seem like you are happy with either so why not expand your selection? I personally have not played either, well I played a Spider briefly, and I am certainly not against the Vypyrs.

It's not that I'm unhappy with both of them. They both have their upsides and downsides, but I'm interested in both which is why I'm choosing between the two of them. It does certainly seem like the overall opinion is going for the Peavey.
the peavey has more presets, amp models, and to me it sounds a lot less fizzy and crappy. so vypyr, i will say, and most of UG will
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.