so i got a Crate v33 halfstack, and i like its cleans and light distortions but its heavy settings leae something to be desired, i noticed my friends high gain peaveys(valveking 112& 6505+stack) have 6l6's, my amp has el84's would putting
6l6s in it increase distortion, and will they fit/ i noticed those tubes were almost as big as light bulbs and glow alot, while the el84's are thinner and elongated, and only have a spark in the middle?

im not looking for valve king tone, but distortion would be nice, im also considering a tubescreamer or badmonkey, but ive heard pedal distortion is hard on tubes so natural is what im looking for
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
A tubescreamer or bad monkey and an EQ pedal will tighten things up and allow better control of your tone. It's not really a metal amp but you can get good overdrive tones out of it. I wouldn't bother with tube swapping before od & eq. You will want those either way.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
no 6L6`s wont fit in an amp with EL 34`s

but changing to a different brand of EL 34 may work for you.... i went from JJ`s to tunsa (spell?? lol) i think that what there called, and they did have alittle more gain and a harsher sound for metal.
Quote by Slayerdeath
no 6L6`s wont fit in an amp with EL 34`s

but changing to a different brand of EL 34 may work for you.... i went from JJ`s to tunsa (spell?? lol) i think that what there called, and they did have alittle more gain and a harsher sound for metal.

84's not 34s
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by gregs1020
A tubescreamer or bad monkey and an EQ pedal will tighten things up and allow better control of your tone. It's not really a metal amp but you can get good overdrive tones out of it. I wouldn't bother with tube swapping before od & eq. You will want those either way.

+1

i would do this before replacing tubes.