Ok ... so me and my band have decided to take the metal route. Even though my influence comes mainly from punk I can write some mean metal songs and riffs. I was just thinking of buying a new guitar, I orignally own an Epiphone Les Paul Junior Limited Edition but I'm thinking of getting a Jackson RR3 in black. I use a lot of pinch harmonics and I wanna use the flloyd rose, like Dimebag. So whats everyones view on this guitar?

Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt
Ibanez SM-7 Distortion Pedal

By the way, you should check us out, http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7723045512
They're good guitars; I have one. However, unless you're getting it cheaply, you're better off to save for a higher end guitar. RR3 in black, new, is $675. . . If you save a little more, you could have a Schecter Hellraiser with better pickups and an Original (not licensed) Floyd Rose for $850.
Quote by Rox0r713
They're good guitars; I have one. However, unless you're getting it cheaply, you're better off to save for a higher end guitar. RR3 in black, new, is $675. . . If you save a little more, you could have a Schecter Hellraiser with better pickups and an Original (not licensed) Floyd Rose for $850.

Jackson's higher end LFRs are great quality, and i believe backed by a lifetime guarantee. They may even rival OFRs in quality and stability.

Honestly though, TS, a better amp might be of higher importance because spider 3's seem to be unreliable and don't sound as great as some amps.
Quote by HighPotency
Jackson's higher end LFRs are great quality, and i believe backed by a lifetime guarantee. They may even rival OFRs in quality and stability.

Honestly though, TS, a better amp might be of higher importance because spider 3's seem to be unreliable and don't sound as great as some amps.

i know about that, but i also dont have a guitar because my mum has just been divorced and is havin trouble copin so i sold my guitar nd my mum nd nan, grandad hv bin savin up secretly to get me a guitar ... rr3 is a guitar hav liked always since my 1st gig of bullet for my valentine wen i was 11 years old
The RR3 is a great guitar. The Jacksons LFR are great they stay in tune very well and the Seymour Duncans in the RR3 are good pickups too.
Peavey 3120
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
Jackson RR5
Jackson DKMG
LTD EC-1000
TC Electronic Polytune
BOSS RV-5
BOSS DD-7
MXR 10-band EQ
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
BOSS NS-2
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Seymour Duncans > EMGs imo.

Why? First, personal opinion/taste really. Second, I like versatile guitars over guitars that are stuck not completely, but pretty much to 1 genre or style due to pick ups.

^ once again, opinion.

Save 100 more and get the Eerie Dess Swirl Jackson RR3 man, like me, it'll blow your mind outta this world with that finish!
*sigh*

i hate people that are like "dood EMGs are like 4 teh metulz lol they cant do cleans worth crap"

I think people underestimate EMGs, but at any rate, the SDs in the RR3 are great pickups.
Quote by HighPotency
*sigh*

i hate people that are like "dood EMGs are like 4 teh metulz lol they cant do cleans worth crap"

I think people underestimate EMGs, but at any rate, the SDs in the RR3 are great pickups.

I hate people that don't understand what they read, mate or should I say "dood"?

I never stated they were METAL ONRYZ stuff; Hell, I even stated they aren't only used for metallic sounds(read again please), but they ARE meant mainly for a metal sound where a SD, in this case, can easily rip a better clean sound easily while keeping an aggressive metal tone.

Thanks for reading my post though.
I do realize the dood part but me thought you called me stupid! lul

Anyway, SDs ftw!
I must say... after playing quite a few types of pickups, Actives are my favorites, and especially for metal. Though I prefer SD Blackouts to EMGs!!!! Get a gutted RR3 on Ebay then put Blackouts in it... but thats just my opinion, I like DIY! Hey, I think theres actually a gutted RR3 on Ebay right now
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by Rox0r713

The LFR is great, and the duncans are imo (and in ALOT of people's opinions) superior to the EMG's.
Besides that, the OFR on the Schecter is a Korean made one, not the German made Schaller OFR. So the Jackson LFR wont be far behind the trem on the schecter AT ALL.
And the necks (warning: personal opinion!!) on the schecter just suck dirty hairy ass. Poorly constructed, poorly finished and chunky as hell.
So the RR3:
- is 175$ cheaper
- has a nice trem too
- has a very nice and fast neck
- has superb pickups
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL

The LFR is great, and the duncans are imo (and in ALOT of people's opinions) superior to the EMG's.
Besides that, the OFR on the Schecter is a Korean made one, not the German made Schaller OFR. So the Jackson LFR wont be far behind the trem on the schecter AT ALL.
And the necks (warning: personal opinion!!) on the schecter just suck dirty hairy ass. Poorly constructed, poorly finished and chunky as hell.
So the RR3:
- is 175$ cheaper
- has a nice trem too
- has superb pickups

+1 Bout sums it up
HI
Quote by Rox0r713

Complete nonsense.
Quote by LP_CL

So the RR3:
- is 175$ cheaper
- has a nice trem too
- has superb pickups

+1
k dude stop posting everywhere saying should i get an rr3 u made like 6 of these
**** OFF
Quote by powerhead
It's just an easy way to shift blame as always. If Slipknot caused people to get murdered, then spoons caused Rosie O'Donnell to get fat.

MY LISTಠ_ಠ
--(Matt)--
cmalm04
dwmacfar2
Quote by LP_CL

So the RR3:
- is 175$ cheaper
- has a nice trem too
- has superb pickups

+1. I've tried out a Hellraiser C1-Fr about 2 weeks ago and I just completely hated it. It just felt...weird. The neck definitely was chunky as hell, and the body was a little...again, weird-feeling. And I much prefer SD's over Emgs. I'm not saying Emgs can only do metal, because they can do other things, but they're not as versatile as SD's, just as passive SD's can't do metal quite as well as EMGs. Personally, I'm an SD guy, so yeah ^.^. I'm also looking into buying an RR3, haven't gotten a chance to try one yet (Music store near me didn't have it, but hopefully they'll have it if I go this weekend).
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Quote by LP_CL

So the RR3:
- is 175$ cheaper
- has a nice trem too
- has superb pickups

See, I disagree. First: I own an RR3 and a C-7 Blackjack ATX, and though mine has Blackouts (as opposed to EMGs), I hate the pickups in my RR3. I would far prefer EMGs over them. The extra cost of the Schecter guitar, in my opinion, is well worth it. Next: I also find RR3 guitars to be horribly uncomfortable to play while standing up (due to the awkward placement of the strap pegs). Further: Well, the trem is fine, but nothing to piss yourself about -- mine goes out of tune often enough. Last: A "fast" neck? Either you're fast or you aren't -- neck shape and style is a matter of comfort and preference; one neck isn't "faster" than another since they don't have speeds; they're inanimate objects. The shape of the neck on the RR3 is nothing special, in my opinion.

So, save up for something worthwhile. Doesn't have to be a Hellraiser, it was just a suggestion for something along the lines of what he wanted that, in my opinion, trumps the RR3. Of course, you could go with a higher-end Ibanez RG series guitar, or a Dean Razorback, a Jackson DKMG, Jackson Warrior, or any other number of choices. There are a plethora of options.
Quote by Rox0r713
See, I disagree. First: I own an RR3 and a C-7 Blackjack ATX, and though mine has Blackouts (as opposed to EMGs), I hate the pickups in my RR3. I would far prefer EMGs over them. The extra cost of the Schecter guitar, in my opinion, is well worth it. Next: I also find RR3 guitars to be horribly uncomfortable to play while standing up (due to the awkward placement of the strap pegs). Further: Well, the trem is fine, but nothing to piss yourself about -- mine goes out of tune often enough. Last: A "fast" neck? Either you're fast or you aren't -- neck shape and style is a matter of comfort and preference; one neck isn't "faster" than another since they don't have speeds; they're inanimate objects. The shape of the neck on the RR3 is nothing special, in my opinion.

So, save up for something worthwhile. Doesn't have to be a Hellraiser, it was just a suggestion for something along the lines of what he wanted that, in my opinion, trumps the RR3. Of course, you could go with a higher-end Ibanez RG series guitar, or a Dean Razorback, a Jackson DKMG, Jackson Warrior, or any other number of choices. There are a plethora of options.

Its your right to hate the most popular set of pickups in the whole guitar universe, but that says more about you than it does about the pickups.

I guess you find it uncomfortable because the RR3 has a little nosedive? Use a broad lether strap and you wont even notice.

If your trem gets out of tune, then its because your RR3 is a rotten apple, or you need to get a propper set up for it. Floyds need maintenance, certainly after some time.

I know necks cant run or drive fast, but you dont have to act like a smartass on this. We all know that slim necks allow you to play fast easier than baseball bat necks.

And about the saving up: thats bad advice, because you ALWAYS can save up for a better, and more expensive guitar. People got to draw a line and keep the price under it. Maybe the TS wanted to buy an RX10D, and was told to save up for an RR3. Where will he end? With a 20.000$ zemaitis?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Its your right to hate the most popular set of pickups in the whole guitar universe, but that says more about you than it does about the pickups.

I guess you find it uncomfortable because the RR3 has a little nosedive? Use a broad lether strap and you wont even notice.

If your trem gets out of tune, then its because your RR3 is a rotten apple, or you need to get a propper set up for it. Floyds need maintenance, certainly after some time.

I know necks cant run or drive fast, but you dont have to act like a smartass on this. We all know that slim necks allow you to play fast easier than baseball bat necks.

And about the saving up: thats bad advice, because you ALWAYS can save up for a better, and more expensive guitar. People got to draw a line and keep the price under it. Maybe the TS wanted to buy an RX10D, and was told to save up for an RR3. Where will he end? With a 20.000$ zemaitis?

See, arguing this is completely pointless. You're arguing defensively for a guitar, while taking cracks at me, rather than sticking to the facts. OH WAIT! This is entirely conjecture. So, you like it. I don't. Big deal! I think it's a crappy guitar and a waste of money compared to what else is available, even for the same price (do you happen to know the prices on many of those guitars I listed? The Jacksons are the same price or cheaper.)

Now, if we're going to talk about "giving this guy good advice", let's look at his questions. He didn't speak of money, whatsoever. He said he wanted to know if the guitar would be able to play
some mean metal songs and riffs.

Then, he stated he has strong desire to
use a lot of pinch harmonics and I wanna use the flloyd rose, like Dimebag.

So, he's looking for a metal-machine, with strong pickups. I feel that the squeals offered by my RR3 and its passive pickups pale in comparison to those of the actives in my Schecter. So, based on my experiences and my opinions I have given advice. Agree with it, disagree with it, who the fuck cares? It's for him to decide what he thinks, and I think he should shop around and try some other guitars before he decides. Get over it, eh?
lol
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by HighPotency
*sigh*

from the guitars have played its come to my understanding that EMGs are "tighter", but SDs are "thicker"
The rr3 is a great guitar. I have one, and the neck is perfect. I'm rebuilding mine for my senior project. I have already put Blackouts and gold Gotoh tuners on it.( And an orginal floyd rose is on the way.)

the stock pickups that were in it were very good.they could do almost any genre of music good if you know how to set up your amp. the lisenced floyd stays in tune pretty good. I hardly ever tune mine, and i change to drop tuning a lot.
Gear:
Jackson RR3
B.C. Rich Bronze Beast
Epiphone Strat
Randall Rg75 G3