I own a Ibanez Sa series guitar and was thinking about replacing the pick-ups with some emg's.
The only thing is that my guitar (as some of you may know) has a bridge pickup which is a humbucker, but it can be switched to a single coil by pulling out the tone nob.
I was just wondering would emg-89 pickups work on the bridge of my guitar and would it still be able to switch to single coil if i did?
Any help is appreciated thanks
Quote by tom_martin_123
I own a Ibanez Sa series guitar and was thinking about replacing the pick-ups with some emg's.
The only thing is that my guitar (as some of you may know) has a bridge pickup which is a humbucker, but it can be switched to a single coil by pulling out the tone nob.
I was just wondering would emg-89 pickups work on the bridge of my guitar and would it still be able to switch to single coil if i did?

Get a 81TW/89 combo.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by tom_martin_123

I second the 81TW/89 combo. 89 in the bridge will be nice, but the 81TW will get you some nice strat and tele sounds in the neck position.
I would chose Dimarzio's / Bare knuckles over EMG's anyday, sure EMG's do metal but aren't as versatile as the others listed imo
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
I would chose Dimarzio's / Bare knuckles over EMG's anyday, sure EMG's do metal but aren't as versatile as the others listed imo

Coil-Tapping EMGs absolutely are. Sure, they can be a bit sterile, but that's easily corrected by pedals. I once saw a gentleman playing jazz on an EMG 81TW, and it sounded real nice.
Should one need a pedal though? Not really :P
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by greyskyeyes
Coil-Tapping EMGs absolutely are. Sure, they can be a bit sterile, but that's easily corrected by pedals. I once saw a gentleman playing jazz on an EMG 81TW, and it sounded real nice.

Plus, Jazz cleans are what EMGs excel at in the clean department. I would be more impressed if he managed to get a really nice blues tone out of one.
IMO, EMGs are not versatile. they excel at metal and other heavy sounds, but for rock, blues, funk or any other kind of music where a good warm clean is needed, they suck. i'd say get some passive humbuckers like Seymour Duncans, Bareknucle, or DiMarzio.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks every1. But away from the matter of which puck-ups are best... will any pick up work on my ibanez?
Any pickup will work, unless you try and mix active pickups (like EMGs) with passives. That takes some fancy wiring.
Dimarzios are apparently great with Ibanez guitars. Steve Vai uses them, Satch uses them and so does Yngwie.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.