is there a good guide somewhere? i can make just plain clean ones but how do i get some distortion out of one? ive heard the term "overwound"
overdrive is a product of your amp and the output of the pickup defines a part of it's tonal characteristics. it won't, however, produce a sound like a distortion pedal. it's not like you overwind a pickup and instantly have a stomp box in your guitar. stewmac has some information on winding pickups. their winder is expensive but if you look hard enough you can make a homebrew winder... look at my DC build thread... click the link in my sig.

You have a lot of research to do before you wind one, though... it's not as simple as you think.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
overdrive is a product of your amp and the output of the pickup defines a part of it's tonal characteristics. it won't, however, produce a sound like a distortion pedal. it's not like you overwind a pickup and instantly have a stomp box in your guitar. stewmac has some information on winding pickups. their winder is expensive but if you look hard enough you can make a homebrew winder... look at my DC build thread... click the link in my sig.

You have a lot of research to do before you wind one, though... it's not as simple as you think.

exellent thanks.