Hey, so I'm getting a new laptop sometime within the next month. I'm getting the MacBook Pro with a 200GB hard drive, a 2.4 gHz processor, and it has 2GB of RAM.

Now my dilemma is this:
For the work I'm doing (work with photoshop, illustrator, etc.), I'd like a bit more memory. I can upgrade to 4GB for $200 at the Apple store when I get the thing. But with the student discount, I'll get about $200 off, so it will be just like paying full price for the computer. Or I can do it for like $80 on my own, but it will void the warranty. Also, if I do it in store, I'll probably end up getting the Apple Care protection plan (with the discount it'll be like $250).

So, $250 for a 3 year warranty on everything I get, and 2GB more of memory, or $80 do it myself job, and void the warranty?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
I'd pay the extra especially since you could screw it up whilst upgrading and then ur warranty is void....
I'm pretty sure you can't screw up installing ram. It kinda only goes in one way.
Concerts
All Points West - August 1st
Krockathon 14 - August 8th
Oh trust me, you can (some people I know are quite un-computer friendly) but I spose if your confident TS, do it.
how about give me the computer......
im getting a new laptop in a couple months, its going to be awesome.

pay the money get the warranty and all that
Warranty is a good idea for laptops.
Keyboards, screens etc break which can be replaced easily with a desktop, but not a laptop.
the extra, if you get the money back off for your student card.. dont void the warranty!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

myself i probably would buy the ram for $80
however i've had a few people who have recently had their mbp just crap out on them for no reason. so i'm gonna say pay for the upgrade.

but your real solution is to not buy a mac(since your paying too much to start)
just throwing that out there
I'd pay and get the warranty.

Sure, you might get the RAM in OK, but if you void the warranty it can never be returned.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I'd pay the extra, as Macs are not intended for upgrading in the slightest. If you void an Apple warranty you will have this computer for about a year.
I was in a similar situation.

I got the same model that you got, but I didn't opt for the Apple Care warranty. Also, I just got some cheap G.Skills memory 2x2gb and installed it on there. I might get the warranty before my purchase year ends. If I ever have any problems I can just install the original RAM back into the laptop and pretend I never touched it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I was in a similar situation.

I got the same model that you got, but I didn't opt for the Apple Care warranty. Also, I just got some cheap G.Skills memory 2x2gb and installed it on there. I might get the warranty before my purchase year ends. If I ever have any problems I can just install the original RAM back into the laptop and pretend I never touched it.

Sadly, Apple products are not made for YOU to open up and mess around with, they WILL see that you have opened it up. I believe this voids the warranty. Read the warranty over if you have it.
Quote by shaquille
Sadly, Apple products are not made for YOU to open up and mess around with, they WILL see that you have opened it up. I believe this voids the warranty. Read the warranty over if you have it.

How exactly will they see?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

I don't work at Apple for god's sake, but I believe they put seals on the inside. When you send it in for a new one (You will have to send it in, I did with the iPods) be sure they will 100 percent inspect it. Just read the warranty. These are companies not your friends, and they do not like handing out free stuff. It's 2008, how the hell would a multi-billion dollar company NOT be able to put something on there that would tell them if you went inside of it? That's why if you want to be able to upgrade your computer whenever, you go with a PC instead of spending thousands on the new Apple computer. Not advocating PC vs. Apple, but this is the reason to get a PC.

Enjoy your outdated hardware 2 years from now.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Hey, I've been considering getting a MacBook Pro too but I've read that they heat up a lot, as the case is made of aluminium - is that true? I've also heard about a lot of hardware problems like corrupted batteries, noisy fans and such; have you had any problems with these?
Quote by shaquille
I don't work at Apple for god's sake, but I believe they put seals on the inside. When you send it in for a new one (You will have to send it in, I did with the iPods) be sure they will 100 percent inspect it. Just read the warranty. These are companies not your friends, and they do not like handing out free stuff. It's 2008, how the hell would a multi-billion dollar company NOT be able to put something on there that would tell them if you went inside of it? That's why if you want to be able to upgrade your computer whenever, you go with a PC instead of spending thousands on the new Apple computer. Not advocating PC vs. Apple, but this is the reason to get a PC.

Enjoy your outdated hardware 2 years from now.

Well, no there was no seal.

Also, a mac retains a fair amount of its original value even years down the road. A PC does not. Its inevitable outdating hardware is compensated by the fact that the computer's design is very good and the components are higher end models. The school I go to is a Mac required school. Older students have Powerbooks that can still run today's applications just fine.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']This goes for any laptop, Mac or PC.

I won't disagree with you there, but it's still not good to treat a Mac as if it were a PC. PC would allow you to open the lap top and add memory in, and most hardware you buy for PC comes with its own warranty. Yet, they say Mac is the dumbed down Windows/Linux, must be because you aren't really allowed to add anything ending much of the frustration that comes with a computer.

To the post above, you think they would let you on and make what they will use to catch you completely visible that you may be able to fix it? Never said I was an expert, but businesses have their own ways of doing these things, and if it's listed in the warranty, you can bet they will have a way to catch it.
Quote by acersucks
Hey, I've been considering getting a MacBook Pro too but I've read that they heat up a lot, as the case is made of aluminium - is that true? I've also heard about a lot of hardware problems like corrupted batteries, noisy fans and such; have you had any problems with these?

Yea, the case is pretty much the heatsink.

It gets pretty hot right around the battery pack on the bottom and the bar underneath the screen, especially when you're playing games. But it's not that bad. I've dealt with worse. My Alienware is not only hotter, but it creates this uncomfortable humidity around it, making your hands sweaty and feels like crap.

Its heat management is really good. The casing has its ventilation right behind the back side of the computer. This is great because you can truly put the computer on your lap or bed or whatever without worrying about obstructing ventilation. Also, it prevents dust build-up.

But as for the other rumors...no. It is dead silent and the batteries are smart batteries. You can calibrate them to maximize their longevity.

It's a damn good laptop and I recommend it. It beats the crap out of all the other laptops I've used before (HP, Alienware, Dell, Vaio).

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by shaquille

To the post above, you think they would let you on and make what they will use to catch you completely visible that you may be able to fix it?

Yes.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes.

Do you really believe that or are you just trying to reassure yourself that you will be reimbursed when your Mac book gets screwed up? I don't know man, it's best to just be skeptic about companies like Apple before you go about messing with what they put into it.
Quote by shaquille
Do you really believe that or are you just trying to reassure yourself that you will be reimbursed when your Mac book gets screwed up? I don't know man, it's best to just be skeptic about companies like Apple before you go about messing with what they put into it.

The way I see it is that the Mac demographics is mostly comprised of morons. If they modded something by themselves, they'll probably tell that straight up without even thinking twice because they wouldn't have thought about the consequences. Me, on the other hand...I'm a ninja.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, the case is pretty much the heatsink.

It gets pretty right around the battery pack on the bottom and the bar underneath the screen. But it's not that bad.

But as for the other rumors...no. It is dead silent and the batteries are smart batteries. You can calibrate them to maximize their longevity.

It's a damn good laptop and I recommend it. It beats the crap out of all the other laptops I've used before (HP, Alienware, Dell, Vaio).

I like the fact that I can have OS X running (legally - as in I can update it and not have it running on a PC with incompatible hardware) alongside Windows and Linux. I like the design too but I wish they would add more USB ports, a card reader and an HDMI port. I know the DVI signal can be converted but still.

The MBP I want right now is about $3100, and for the same specs I could get a laptop for half the price. I hope they make a few more changes to the design and lower the price sometime in the future.

Edit:
Quote by shaquille
To the post above, you think they would let you on and make what they will use to catch you completely visible that you may be able to fix it?
Is it just me or was anyone else not able to make sense of this post?

From what I've heard, Apple's customer suppost is excellent. I don't know if these people had warranties (I'm guessing they did), but I've read they replace faulty parts in their products willingly and do it in good time.
Last edited by acersucks at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by acersucks
I like the fact that I can have OS X running (legally - as in I can update it and not have it running on a PC with incompatible hardware) alongside Windows and Linux. I like the design too but I wish they would add more USB ports, a card reader and an HDMI port. I know the DVI signal can be converted but still.

The MBP I want right now is about $3100, and for the same specs I could get a laptop for half the price. I hope they make a few more changes to the design and lower the price sometime in the future.

$3100?? What the hell...

Mine was $1900 with tax. I got it with the college deal: $200 off, free Touch and HP 3-in-1.

MBP is 1 usb slot short of standard 3 slots. But it has 2 FireWire ports, so I guess that kind of evens out. I have about 8 USB connections at any given time anyway, so I had to get a hub regardless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by acersucks

Edit:Is it just me or was anyone else not able to make sense of this post?

From what I've heard, Apple's customer suppost is excellent. I don't know if these people had warranties (I'm guessing they did), but I've read they replace faulty parts in their products willingly and do it in good time.

It means they would not let you see their ways of catching people who are tampering with product that would void their warranties. Sometimes you just have to read things over. Obviously their customer support is good, and that had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Do you work for Apple or something?
Quote by Xiaoxi
$3100?? What the hell...

Mine was $1900 with tax. I got it with the college deal: $200 off, free Touch and HP 3-in-1.

MBP is 1 usb slot short of standard 3 slots. But it has 2 FireWire ports, so I guess that kind of evens out. I have about 8 USB connections at any given time anyway, so I had to get a hub regardless.

With these specs:
# 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
it's $2799.00. (last time I configured it I had 2.6GHz C2D and an Apple Remote - which was $3068.00) And both of those are without the AppleCare Protection Plan($399). Mind you, I'm in Canada - don't know how much of a difference there is for the US and CAN prices.

Quote by shaquille
It means they would not let you see their ways of catching people who are tampering with product that would void their warranties. Sometimes you just have to read things over. Obviously their customer support is good, and that had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Do you work for Apple or something?
Oh. No, and was that intended to be funny? lol.
Last edited by acersucks at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by acersucks
With these specs:
# 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
it's $2799.00. (last time I configured it I had 2.6GHz C2D and an Apple Remote - which was $3068.00) And both of those are without the AppleCare Protection Plan($399). Mind you, I'm in Canada - don't know how much of a difference there is for the US and CAN prices.

And that's why I'm proud to be an American. (even though not really and I'm Chinese)

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
And that's why I'm proud to be an American. (even though not really and I'm Chinese)

Oh ya, another question, did you get the glossy screen or the regular one? I have a glossy one on my laptop and it sucks when there's a light behind me because I can't see anything on the screen. I remember when I was a kid I had a laptop with a regular screen and it would always get dirty - are they still like that?
Quote by acersucks
Oh ya, another question, did you get the glossy screen or the regular one? I have a glossy one on my laptop and it sucks when there's a light behind me because I can't see anything on the screen. I remember when I was a kid I had a laptop with a regular screen and it would always get dirty - are they still like that?

I have the matte screen. I think the general consensus is that you don't need glossy unless you're a graphic designer and you need that extra fine resolution. And I'm pretty sure glossy is easier to get dirty than matte. Mine's not too bad even though I eat in front of it. Just clean the screen every once in a while, which is necessary anyway.

Also, you'll love the touchpad. I don't think I can ever go back to laptop without one of these touchpads. The touchpad feature alone makes all other laptops look retarded.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Awesome guys. Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the in-store deal.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen