So my friend had this bass for years, and never learned anything on it and it just sat there, so i asked him for it, and he said yeah! It's a rouge 5 string, black sparkle or something, pretty cool for a first bass! Im a normal guitar player so Im looking for some songs to play. Im learning longview right now, what else should i learn?

Pics

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Warning by Green Day has a cool bass interlude in it. Try some Anti-Flag, especially stuff from For Blood and Empire; RHCP obviously, and maybe try Delirium Trigger by Coheed and Cambria. Id also say learn Another One Bites the Dust and Stir It Up by Bob Marley. Those two bass lines are very recognizable if you have heard the songs before.
OMG my friend has a red 1 of those (its not to good)
but song wise you should probably learn some rush and primus
also some theory so you can do do your own thing
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by d K A p S
haha albany, why?

im a new yorker too binghamton lol. were abouts do you live i know saratoga, burnt hills and a few other areas??
Quote by Jacob Baldwin
OMG my friend has a red 1 of those (its not to good)
but song wise you should probably learn some rush and primus
also some theory so you can do do your own thing

Those aren't very realistic bands to be playing right after getting your first bass...
Quote by HighPotency
Those aren't very realistic bands to be playing right after getting your first bass...

er.. right how bout queen or van halen stuff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
It's not a rouge 5-string. It's a black sparkly 5-string. Made by a company called "Rogue"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Come on fitz, be nice. He's a bass noob. Anyway, that wouldn't even be a bad starter bass if you had to pay for it, let alone free.

as for songs, try learning some Clash, since your profile says your into punk. Paul Simonon, while definitely not an amazing bassist, did have some pretty cool bass lines. Almost anything on London Calling, especially the title track (really fun to play). also, rock the casbah and should I stay or should I go. As for metal, listen to Iron Maiden and Cliff Burton-era Metallica (the first 3 albums). You could even try learning For Whom the Bell Tolls. It's not hard, other than the solo at the beginning. For Alteranative, I won't be much help. Cake have some really awesome bass lines, but that's about all I can recommend, I'm somewhat ignorant about the genre (dispite how incredibly wide ranging it is). unless you count ska punk. Then DEFINITELY check out Reel Big Fish, though, ska songs in general tend to have good bass lines
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
awesome man! Im waiting fo rmy first bass to arrive tomorrow. I have been learning the guitar for about 2 months now on and off, not really steady; and I cant play shit on it yet, hope the bass will go abit easier for me. (not in any way, shape or form saying bass is easier to play nor is guitar better in any way)
I'm not being mean to this guy specifically. I'm willing to bet that half the people who own a Rogue bass spell it Rouge. I've made that joke several times before!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the first songs i learned were the joker by the steve miller band and american idiot by green day. both very simple, and fun to play.
This is my starter bass

(well, my first was a Squire P, but I don't really like how it felt
(too heavy and bulky, open magnet pups, 20 frets, etc.))

I wouldn't get too attached to a Rouge
Five strings are nice, yes, but the neck is too narrow for them
and the tone isn't all that pretty either

Learn some easy pop-punk lines for now
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
This is my starter bass

(well, my first was a Squire P, but I don't really like how it felt
(too heavy and bulky, open magnet pups, 20 frets, etc.))

I wouldn't get too attached to a Rouge
Five strings are nice, yes, but the neck is too narrow for them
and the tone isn't all that pretty either

Learn some easy pop-punk lines for now

Lol, yeah im learning easy punk lines now. And i agree the neck blows but for free it's better than nothing

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
Lol, yeah im learning easy punk lines now. And i agree the neck blows but for free it's better than nothing

fo sho.

Learn Brand New
their lines are easy and fun and you can sing and dance cos they are easy
though you need to tune to flat (for the older ones)

Sic Transit Gloria can get you moving around the neck a bit.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by thegiaco2112
ttry to play the offspring´s stuff

Pretty fly for a white guy.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
learn Blitzkrieg Bop. super easy.

listen to Scoop by Marcus Miller, Teen Town as done by Micheal Manring, and A Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius, just because it will make you ponder the limits of this wonderful instrument you have now embraced as your own.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom