anyone know where i can buy a phase switch or a phase switch wiring kit. ive looked online for a while and havnt found anything. i have a strat that i have made some arbitrary modifications to. im hoping to install a phase switch so i can run two single coils in/out of phase
You just need a plain old DPDT switch and find out how to wire it (which I cant help you with).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
thanks for the help. my strat only has neck and bridge pickups but one of my selections allows both at the same time, and my goal is to allow that selection to be put in/out of phase. the diagrams i have seen show one pickup running thru a dpdt switch and the description says that a phase switch makes a difference only when two pickups are selected. so do i only need to install a switch on one pickup, and then select both to get the sound? what options do i have if i install one switch for each pick up.
To get the sound, both pickups must be selected. If you have one for each, it's a waste of a switch, since putting them both "out of phase" would be putting them both in the same phase, just reversed wiring -> same sound. Out of phase means one pickup is out of phase with another. If you wanted the sound every time you had both selected, you could just reverse the leads on one of the pickups, leaving the same sound when a single one is selected but out of phase when both are. That's just an option - I'd stick with the switch. As to the size of wire, I can't remember, it's been a while since I've done any wiring.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
as u said earlier, the effect is only present when one pickup is out of phase with the other, and 2 switches would therefore be useless. however would i get a different sound from sending the bridge out of phase rather than the neck. i.e. could i cancel bass frequencies or treble frequencies if i put the switch on the neck or bridge p/u? does that make sence?
No, putting one out of phase with the other would be the same, since you're just reversing the phase of one, the other would be reversed with respect to it. In short, it's the same.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
If you want only series, then that would work. I'd go with a series/parallel switch. If you scroll down a bit to the "Scott's Modified" switch, if you use two DPDT switches, you can have a phase one for the neck and the series/parallel for the bridge. I'd recommend that, especially since you don't seem to worry about amount of switches and want possibilities. Ultimately, it's your decision, and what you have there will give you two pickups in series with phase options.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
No problem man, glad I could help.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
even if you dont know what type of wire to use, maybe you could answer this. is there a wrong kind of wire to use when wiring my dpdt switches? I have some 18 gauge solid copper wire, would that work? what about speaker wire? ...im obviously not an electrician
22 is the normal wire used. 18 will work, but the problem with solid core is that sometimes it'll break inside the insulation, so it's hard to know when something breaks. You might have to replace it all, but that's only in the unlikely event that something breaks and you can't find out where it is. I've used solid core, and I've liked using it since it's stiff and it'll stay in place and can be easier to wire with tougher wiring jobs.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
That's even closer to the 22, so it'd still work.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
No problem, man. Like I said, I'm glad I could help.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
well that didnt work. i think it was 2 things, my soldering iron was too big and i dont have much soldering experience. i think im gonna buy a 3rd pickup, get a new set of switches and hire a tech to set me up with a brian may wiring.
I think it'd be better and more satisfying if you do it yourself. Just practice a bit. It'll cost less than a tech doing it, and it'll definitely be more personal. The cost of the soldering iron would be less than the tech doing it for you probably. Maybe just keep practicing with your iron now, I've actually only got a big one and I've learned to solder adequately enough.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
I don't have any experience with them, so unfortunately I don't have any input.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
ok, i went to radio shack and got some smaller diameter solder, i ordered a new set of dpdt switches and i got 90 feet of solid core copper 22 gauge wire, i think im set. there are metal brackets around the switches http://www.superdroidrobots.com/images/TAM-042-000.jpg and im wondering if having those touch would make it short or not work. should i wrap them in electrical tape?
I don't think it would. I doubt they'd put that on there and it would make it short/not work if it touched another switch. It seems like it's just part of the construction.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
For wiring diagrams you could try this site :-

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUHH3T1103

This happens to be a circuit for two humbuckers with phase switches, but there are serveral other wiring diagrams on their site
another site is:-

http://www.treblebooster.com/brian_may_pickup_mod.htm

I use the diagram 2 on this site and it works a treat. If you only have 2 pickups, just omit the middle pickup circuit and continue the connection from neck to bridge at the on/off switches

Keith
Last edited by saxon marsh at Oct 20, 2008,
one final thank you for everyones help. i got the switches installed them and they work great. i have just one final question; my phase switch is a 3 position switch and when the pickups are in parallel i get three different sounds out of it, one in phase, one out of phase but im not sure what the other is because it sounds somewhere in the middle of the two. when the pickups are in series this middle position is simply dead (understandable). so what could the parallel sound be that is between my in and out of phase?
i started with the squire version of this about a year ago
http://www.penmachine.com/musicpages/musicimages/fender_strat_hardtail.jpg

now i got this and i love it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24330086@N06/
...as you can see there is plenty of excess solder on the pots hahah.

switches are in this order from top to bottom diagonally, phase (3way), neck (on/off), bridge (on/off), series parallel (3way)