Right, thing is im on the market for a new amp and I want to upgrade to a head/cabinet rather than just a combo, but right now I dont have the money for both so I was just wandering if the head amp actually outputs any sound without a cabinet, its kinda confusing me since this will be my first non combo amp and although it says 120w im not sure if this is the output to the cab?

any help please guys
Science Geek

chloe was in chemistry. chloe is no more, for what she thought was H2O was H2SO4
no a head needs a cab..... and what ever the rating 50-100-120 watts thats what outputted to the cab, but if it`s tube, a tube can put more then it`s rating so a 100 watt tube can blow a 100 watt cab.
ok thanks for that, so maybe stick with the combo but just go for one that sounds better for my needs?

any personal advice on amps you like?
Science Geek

chloe was in chemistry. chloe is no more, for what she thought was H2O was H2SO4
Well we need a price range and genre, and i think the only way to use a head by itself is to plug it into a PA of some kind which isn't really by itself.
Tube amps are rated at only half their output, so theres no way youll need 120w tube amp. And if you tried to use a head w/out a cab, itll blow up. Personally, I have a Valveking 112, and it isnt too bad. And for under $500, its a very solid all-tube amp.
yeah of course, the price range is £200-300 and the genre is mostly metal, any ideas?
Science Geek

Quote by qotsa1998
And if you tried to use a head w/out a cab, itll blow up..

Only tubes.

Quote by HighPotency
Well we need a price range and genre, and i think the only way to use a head by itself is to plug it into a PA of some kind which isn't really by itself.

That could possibly work with an SS head, but I'd love to see the result of someone plugging a tube head into a PA. Unless it's a nice head, then I'd just be angry.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
theres lots of stuff metal_axxe

Budget?
Home or gig?
new or used?
Music styles?
closest major city?

£200-300
Home/possibly gig while im at uni
New
Metal, Progressive
Birmingham

hope that helps
Science Geek

Quote by Slayerdeath
no a head needs a cab..... and what ever the rating 50-100-120 watts thats what outputted to the cab, but if it`s tube, a tube can put more then it`s rating so a 100 watt tube can blow a 100 watt cab.

No. While tube amps do put out more than their rated wattage, speaker makers are no fools and plan for this. An average speaker is designed to take roughly 150% of it's rated wattage

Quote by qotsa1998
Tube amps are rated at only half their output, so theres no way youll need 120w tube amp. And if you tried to use a head w/out a cab, itll blow up. Personally, I have a Valveking 112, and it isnt too bad. And for under $500, its a very solid all-tube amp.

Close, most are rated for their clean wattage, not half of their max. Not all amp makers rate their amps the same, but it's safe to say that all amps produce more wattage when the power amp is pushed into saturation.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by qotsa1998
Tube amps are rated at only half their output.

BS
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by greyskyeyes
Only tubes.

False, you can blow the tranny doing this
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
umm guys, I appreciate help on choosing the amp and everything but dont argue =/

lets just hug and make up
Science Geek

Quote by Kevin Saale
No. While tube amps do put out more than their rated wattage, speaker makers are no fools and plan for this. An average speaker is designed to take roughly 150% of it's rated wattage

Close, most are rated for their clean wattage, not half of their max. Not all amp makers rate their amps the same, but it's safe to say that all amps produce more wattage when the power amp is pushed into saturation.

No they're not, recently an acquaintance of mine blew out a pair of 30 watt g12h30s (so 60 watts total) with a 50 watt Marshall plexi head.

I've even heard of smoking cones when people use two 25 watt greenbacks with a solid state rectified JTM45 head turned to 10 (puts out about 65-70 watts when dimed).
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 7, 2008,
thanks guys I will look into all the suggestions posted and maybe go down to birmingham and get hands on on the shortlist (Y) cheers
Science Geek

Quote by Bloodshed
False, you can blow the tranny doing this

can is the operative term. its not guaranteed to happen, and it'll be relatively undramatic. With a tube amp, it WILL happen, and it'll be gnarly.

But, I said that wrong, and you are correct.
Quote by greyskyeyes
can is the operative term. its not guaranteed to happen, and it'll be relatively undramatic. With a tube amp, it WILL happen, and it'll be gnarly.

But, I said that wrong, and you are correct.

I remember back when I was first starting out playing guitar and asked my guitar teacher at the time if I'd get sound from just using the head and earphones and he told me...

"The only sound you'd hear are those of you sobs when your amp bursts into flames"
Quote by al112987
I remember back when I was first starting out playing guitar and asked my guitar teacher at the time if I'd get sound from just using the head and earphones and he told me...

"The only sound you'd hear are those of you sobs when your amp bursts into flames"

Haha. Personally, I'd like to see the headphones burst into flames.
Quote by qotsa1998

What?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
What?

A tube head will literally start sparking and smoking and bursting into flames if turned on without a load connected.