Sigh
I cant seem to write anything for my band (Stick Figure Death, btw), and we play a Punk alternative, like a mixture of Older stuff and Offspring/Nirvana sound. Only problem is, i can't wrtie anything riff or lyrical wise like either Nirvana or Offspring (mostly). Any good tips to write with or something to write about or read for some inspiration? And then some info on writing Punkier riffs like the Offspring's?? Thanks~~
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
don't get hung up on sounding like them or anybody. Find your own style and write according to that. If you force something its not gonna sound as good in my opinion.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
okay thanks. Any tips on writing punkish riffs?
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
It's really about the energy. Make a complicated and simple version of the rif. Play the complicated one during instrumental parts, and the simple one either as an intro, or during softer or slower singing. But I don't even play, so who am I to say...
But the best thing to do is just find what works for you. If you follow someone else's advice, and only that, you will never sound right. You have to find your own way to write.
For some aggressive punk riffs, I usually use power chord patterns for the chorus's and verses. Don't make it all repetitive power chords though. Add some lead and rhythm changes, like playing small licks in verses and such.

Just improvise and play whatever comes to your mind, thats the best way to write music.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.