I am looking to purchase a tube amp. I don't really know too much about amps, but i know that i'm looking for tube. I have between 400-700 dollars to spend. I use a gibson lp studio. I don't gig yet, but i will be in the near future. Mostly play hard rock, rage against the machine, zeppelin, and lots of blues. what would be a good tube amp, or just a good amp for my situation? any help would be very much appreciated, i'm kind of overwhelmed.
Quote by greyskyeyes
Bugera 333/333XL
Line 6 Flextone III
Peavey Valveking

none of these

peavey classic or traynor ycv50 blue
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

and give us your closest city and we'll find you an amp to check out. Used that is.

like a Classic 30 - you don't need a halfstack

i'm right by madison wisconsin.

"why tube amp?"

because i hear they are the best and can get a much warmer sound from them. is there something i'm missing in the way of solid state or combo?
Quote by red star
none of these

peavey classic or traynor ycv50 blue

Haha. That's quite rash, my friend. I can understand saying no to the Bugeras (maybe, reliability?). But ValveKing with a speaker swap is a darn good amp. And Flextones are too. But, so's the YCV50.
Quote by masturnate42
i'm right by madison wisconsin.

"why tube amp?"

because i hear they are the best and can get a much warmer sound from them. is there something i'm missing in the way of solid state or combo?

not all Tube amps are created equal. like i have stated in previous threads, don't jump on the "Tubez is bettar" bandwagon. there are a lot of realy good SS and Hybrid amps out there, too. for example, there are these old SS marshall heads called marshall MOSFETS that sound damn good.

you say you dig the blues. s i assume you know BB King plays with a SS amp?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^Last I seen he was back with his trusty Edit: Twin reverb. Then again, that was when he played on the leno show.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by masturnate42
I am looking to purchase a tube amp. I don't really know too much about amps, but i know that i'm looking for tube. I have between 400-700 dollars to spend. I use a gibson lp studio. I don't gig yet, but i will be in the near future. Mostly play hard rock, rage against the machine, zeppelin, and lots of blues. what would be a good tube amp, or just a good amp for my situation? any help would be very much appreciated, i'm kind of overwhelmed.

Classic 30 sucka
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by greyskyeyes
Haha. That's quite rash, my friend. I can understand saying no to the Bugeras (maybe, reliability?). But ValveKing with a speaker swap is a darn good amp. And Flextones are too. But, so's the YCV50.

I wouldn't use any of those for blues/classic/ somewhat hard rock.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
peavey classic 50 man. nice amp, and does blues and hard rock pretty well. i find the classic 30 a bit gutless in comparison. you have to go tube man, means you wont be buying another amp in 6 months time when you go to the shop and realise that you have grown out of the lifeless sound of your solid state amp. dont be fooled by tube preamps either. good hard rock distortion comes out of power amp valves being saturated. hope that helps