Normally, I don't have trouble with strumming patterns or chords, but this is giving me some trouble. I obviously don't have five fingers-excluding the thumb-and using my thumb causes me to mute some of the other strings. I can't barre the first fret because it either turns the high e into an f or mutes it entirely depending on how I try the barre. Basically, I need help on fingering this chord shape:

e---0---
B---1---
G---2---
D---3---
A---3---
E---1---
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Learn how to do barre chords.

/thread

Learn to read. I can do barre chords fine. I can't, however, barre all first fret strings except the high e without muting it. Are you just saying that I need to work my flexibility up enough until I don't mute the string, or what exactly, because that doesn't seem entirely possible?
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

little help would be better than being a nob.

Barre the 1st fret with your index finger and then finger the other string's with your free finger's... it'll take practice, speically barring the first fret but that's all there is too it!

Edit: my bad.. hmm i actaully get stuck on this too, so i cant really help!.. sorry man
Quote by apparition
one way of doing it is using your thumb to fret the F on the low e string

Yea, that seems to be the only way of doing it; I suppose I just need to practice this shape in particular more now.
Quote by Twist of fate

yeah, you could thumb it up for the low F note, then use your four fingers on the other notes, leaving no fingers left to mess with the open E.

it could be that the chord is played very loosely, with an acquired feel, and what's actually being played is this:

e|--0
b|--x
g|--2
d|--3
a|--3
E|--1

or it could also be two different guitar parts transcribed as one by someone who is only listening for the notes, not transcribing it to be 100% playable.

but if you MUST play this exact chord, go with the thumb technique.
Haft to use your thumb on the E string, works for me. This cord is a Major 7th if you just don't strum the bottom e string its a F They sound pretty similar If you have that much of a problem id just not strum the bottom e. Also If you want to keep it a Major 7th Dont strum the top E string its the same chord but less balls!
Thanks guys, I've got it now.
Quote by Twist of fate