Suggest me any guitar parts ( for my strat) that will help me get better sustain.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Block the trem?
Fernandes sustainer?
A pedal?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
Block the trem?
Fernandes sustainer?
A pedal?

These.

If you go the pedal route, you'd want to look into a compressor.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Why ruin that awesome attack?
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by HeavyReverb
Block the trem?
Fernandes sustainer?
A pedal?

hmmm... how would you block the trem? (i've got a strat-style guitar.. and might be interested in this.)
O O

___
Use a block of wood and shove it between the trem block and the body so you can't push down on the trem. This also requires that the trem be flush to the face of the guitar.

For a vintage style 6 screw trem, I find it works best to loosen all six screws a bit, shove a very slightly oversized block in and then retighten the six screws (the two on the outside are the most important) this will really lock the trem down to the body and give you lots of sustain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
to increase the sustain of any guitar you need to add mass ...the ideal location is the head stock/peg head...for an experiment get a steel c-clamp and something to cushion it on both sides so you dont mar the finish (like some soft wood with cardboard and your mothers velvet corsette)...gently clamp it to your peg head..firmly enough so it is secure,...the bigger the c-clamp (more mass) the better....i think you'll be very happy with the results,...i know that they used to,..maybe still do,..make a metal plate that fits perfectly on the back of a fender head stock,...i had an old dean that added a 2lb hunk of solid steel to the peg head,...f-ing incredible!!...

good luck...let us know how it worked out!
You don't need pedals or mods or anything, all you need is a good amp, and maybe some good vibrato technique.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Sustainer Pickup.

Do i win?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
the saddles and the nut also have a slight effect on sustain

those can be replaced for relatively cheap
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
alright thanks for all the suggestions, for now I'm deciding just to do little guitar mods and I'm not gonna get any pedals...yet. I'm definitely going to try the "adding mass" suggestions, gonna mess around with the PU height and then maybe I'll try blocking the trem and getting new saddles or a nut if necessary, which I doubt.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
a good nut, good saddles, a full sized trem lock and locking tuners can all help. i dont know how bit the trem block is in Hwy1 strats, but i do know in squires there is a puny one. increasing the size/mass of the block can really help out your sustain. good saddles and a good nut help as well because they will help transfer the string vibrations to the body while minimizing losses due to friction. locking tuners help a bit with tuning stability and since there is less of the string wrapped around the post it can help the string vibrate a bit more freely.

putting some of that weighted lead tape on the back of the headstock or inside the body cavities will also add mass and can help some. thats one ive never tried, but i do remember someone saying that it worked for them.
Can I just say that strats are all about pretty much everything but sustain. My strat has the worst sustain of all my guitars and I couldnt give a shit. Why exactly do you want to increase the sustain?
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
Can I just say that strats are all about pretty much everything but sustain. My strat has the worst sustain of all my guitars and I couldnt give a shit. Why exactly do you want to increase the sustain?

I think there is a lot of subjectiveness here. I would love to see some proof. There was some serious talk of this recently over in the EG forum discussing Intonation and Sustain and if I remember correctly the general concensus was that....

...it depends. It depends on a lot of factors. I will say that Strats have just as much potential for sustain as other guitars. My personal belief is that just because a guitar has a set neck does not mean that it automatically has better sustain.

true that on the Mass of the bridge concept. The newer Strats '06 on I believe have bigger blocks now too. Not defending Strats necessarily here. When I find that thread I'll post it here. Later.
for sustain:
*cough wtf sustain on a strat???!!!?! cough*
titainium saddles. new bridge, hardtail and block the trem with as big of a block as possible.
new nut.
overdrive or gain pedal is the best way to go. easiest and youll get the most use out of them. i recommend either the TS-9 or the MXR Micro Amp or the MXR zakk wylde overdrive. the wylde overdive wont change your tone up much but wll give you hella sustain on a dirty channel. dont think youll be using these pedals on clean unless you want to defeat the purpose of overdrives.(mostly talking about the ZW pedal. dont flame)
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
ok so i found it. Might be a little off topic but very interesting none the less. After reading this i will never say one guitar has better sustain then an other. *cough-gibby-cough*.

True - better parts can lend you better sustain to the point. I guess I was struggling with why the TS could not get good sustain out of his HW1 Strat. I don't think he was trying to do it with pedals or cranked volume either....just what about the Strat. He got lots of good ideas in this thread.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908208&highlight=sustain+luthier
sustain study
Quote by mrxtreme_4
Suggest me any guitar parts ( for my strat) that will help me get better sustain.
I have the exact guitar as you, and have been battling this issue for about 4 years.
I have made the trem non floating, and have installed 5 springs for added tension. These Strats have Zinc trem blocks which are known for their poor sustain. A steel trem block will help immensely.
Also, replacing the saddles with Graphite ones will also improve sustain.
As mentioned above by jessexxx, a product called the Fat Finger made by Groove Tubes clips on to your headstock. It adds sustain and some girth to your tone. I have, and use one myself on my Strat.

Doing all of these things will double the sustain on the HWY One Strats.

Good luck!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Oct 9, 2008,