I just noticed that my amp makes a noise similar to static when I play anything through it. The sound kinda reminds me of a bug zapper when a bug flies into it. It only happens when the strings are ringing, the noise disappears when the guitar stops producing sound. Any clue what this could be?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675 and this is the amp I have. This is the first tube amp I have owned, so I don't really know, but it sounds like one of the tubes is malfunctioning. It doesn't really sound like the speaker is blown.
Tried using a new cord, its still there. Ive noticed its alot more noticable with distortion. I have never blown an amp, so I'm beginning to think maybe thats what it is. What does a blown speaker sound like?
Last edited by greekorican5 at Oct 7, 2008,
sounds like a flapping buzz noise especially at high volumes.

if you have a headphone out you can plug into that and bypass the speaker see if that helps.

in your case it might also be a guitar problem. you'd want to try the guitar wt another amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if it's a grounding problem then you'd hear it buzzing when not playing.

didnt you say it makes the noise when you play?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
if it's a grounding problem then you'd hear it buzzing when not playing.

didnt you say it makes the noise when you play?

thats correct.
then if you have a headphone out, plug into it, listen if it sounds clear that way.

also try another guitar, like said.

edit: sorry just clicked to see it's a blackheart.

you can plug it into an alternate speaker thru the out, to check.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I played a bass through my amp for about a week at low volume. Would that have anything to do with this?
yeah could have moved the speaker too much.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah could have moved the speaker too much.

anything I can do to fix it short of replacing the speaker? How much would a new speaker cost, and can I replace it myself?
like she said, you can try your guitar in a different amp and a different guitar in your amp first.

Bass guitars and Electric guitar amps don't mix - the speakers used are not geared for those low end frequencies.

Speakers cost anywhere from $50 - 200 depending. You should be able to replace yourself but I don't own a Blackheart. Can you tell if the speaker wire connects to speaker with metal clips vs being soldered? You'll have to take the back off maybe unless you can see in there.
I think maybe its my tube screamer pedal. I can crank the amp loud and get some overdrive without the pedal, but at low volume with the distortion pedal on is when I notice the noise. Tried turning all the settings down and it didn't help. I'm gonna test this pedal through another amp make sure. If my pedal is the problem, anything I can do to fix it? I'd like to mod it anyway, its got way too much mids and all the settings sound the same.
are you powering it wt batteries? external power sources can cause hum.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
are you powering it wt batteries? external power sources can cause hum.

Im using an ac adapter. Are batteries a better alternative? Cause their also pretty expensive.
not really.

ac power and bad grounds and wires can cause interference. Batteries can either eliminate that or cause their own issues but good troubleshooting method either way.

generally, i would say you should have clean battery in anyway.