ok, so i was thinking about a back up guitar that could play some classic rock, like Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin. and i thought of this:

say i take an Epiphone LP 100, replaced the neck with a tele style one and replace the bridge humbucker with a DiMarzio Super Distortion and the Neck pickup with a DiMarzio humbucker from Hell.

why replace the neck you say? well, i like the feel of tele style necks more than les pauls, and i prefer the 6-in line tuners.

any thoughts? or ideas to make it better?
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
Wouldn't work.

You would have to move the bridge on the body if you changed necks, because les paul's have a few more frets. If you were willing to do all that, maybe it would work.

Plus the neck wouldn't fit into the Epiphone neck pocket. You would be better off building the body from scratch.
I don't think you could find a tele neck to fit the neck pocket plus it would be the wrong scale length.

Also, due to the fact that tele necks a bolt on the frets go all the way to the end were as the les paul neck is glued in and I believe goes into the body slightly so the frets don't go all the way down.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
I don't think you could find a tele neck to fit the neck pocket plus it would be the wrong scale length.

Also, due to the fact that tele necks a bolt on the frets go all the way to the end were as the les paul neck is glued in and I believe goes into the body slightly so the frets don't go all the way down.

I'm pretty sure the Epi's are bolt in's too. Or maybe thats just the SG's. I'm not totally sure.
hmm. i see. say i got a warmoth tele neck with fret extentions? t'would work then no?

btw, epi les paul 100s have bolt on necks.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Try covering some Neil Young songs, I mean, he's obviously not a girl but he's got more than enough estrogen to sound like one.
Quote by BrokenFingers
hmm. i see. say i got a warmoth tele neck with fret extentions? t'would work then no?

btw, epi les paul 100s have bolt on necks.

I guess, but you would have to make sure it fit your neck pocket, and that the neck had the exact same amount of frets as the neck on it now. Then maybe it would work.
yeah, the Warmoth pro tele necks have 22 frets. so assuming it'll fit in the neck pocket, than it should work. awesome.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Quote by BrokenFingers
yeah, the Warmoth pro tele necks have 22 frets. so assuming it'll fit in the neck pocket, than it should work. awesome.

Well not to be a pessimist, but I'm pretty sure Warmoth necks are fit to go in a Fender type of neck pocket, but I'm not positive. I'll bet for the right price they'll make you a custom neck though. haha
It will work if you make sure the distance from the 12th fret to the nut is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. It does not matter how many frets there are or what the scale length is, as long as you make sure this is true.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
search 'neck tutorial' something like that.
It has everything you need to know when putting a new neck in your old guitar!
The epi neck pocket is unique to their guitars so a tele neck isnt going to just drop in. If you want a LP with a tele neck then warmoth is the way to go but wont be cheap.
it's an LP100... the cheapest les paul style body on the planet. why waste your money on a neck that costs more than the guitar itself?

I say build the neck from scratch if anything. the wood will cost you like 30 bucks, fretwire (warmoth.com) another 6.50, you can use the old tuning pegs if you have them, a nut would be another 4 bucks or whatever... the biggest expense would be the fretworking tools
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by theskyline
I'm pretty sure the Epi's are bolt in's too. Or maybe thats just the SG's. I'm not totally sure.

Most LP's are set (glued). The LP100 and the Special II neck is bolt on.
As far as the SG's, the G-310 necks are bolt in, the G-400's, etc. are set.
The Goth Thunderbird-IV is bolt on as well.

You could probably get a tele neck (or any neck) to fit. It would just require S**tload of work. Or a ton of money. Or both.

Sounds though, like it could be an interesting project.
I was in GC a few months ago and played a Baja Tele. Fat baseball sized neck that felt wonderful.
Quote by theskyline

lp100 is bolt on
i understand wanting a strat neck for the comfort
you could sand the paint ant cut the neck thinner but i dont recomend it unless you really know what your doing because you could hit the trus rod ruin the fret binding and a number of things
but even after all that its still harder to put a fender neck on a gibson
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
It will work if you make sure the distance from the 12th fret to the nut is the same as the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. It does not matter how many frets there are or what the scale length is, as long as you make sure this is true.

Dude, the scale length is the only thing that matters when you are changing necks.

Pockets and heels can be shimmed or sanded, but if you have the wrong scale length you're plumb ****ed.

Measure the distance from your nut to your saddles, and that is your scale length. Make sure the neck you get has the same scale length. If it doesn't, the frets will be in the wrong positions and your guitar will never intonate properly.

When you mount your neck, make sure that the distance from the nut - 12th fret and the 12 - fret to saddles are the same.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.