So lately I have been listening to a lot of New York Noise/ Sound Rock like Sonic Youth. So how do the guitar players achieve that cool distortion? Like an example would be like the intro to this live version of Kool Thing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6hpV4NrR0
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Sonic Youth uses a lot of modded pedals. Good luck.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
look at Devi Ever effects for that crazy staticy fuzzy sound; the Aenima and the Shoegazer do that really well. Although in general, an analog delay that can self-oscilate is a must, so are a few modulations effects, the Line 6 DL4 and it's looper are indisposable, and what else to create crazy screechings and nasty sounds than the Digitech Whammy. All those pedals would give you a well rouded rig for noise rock.