do you guys in bands, have any band "rivalries"?
like locally?

my band (deathcoreish, kinda job for a cowboy, and grindcore influenced)
have a rival at our highschool.
im a junior and the singer is a junior, but the other 3 are seniors, and our bands "rivals" are all graduated axcept one.
we absolutley hate them because they always talk shit to and about us, and never back it up. ( and they suck, but thats vbeside the point)

do you have a rival?
friendly rivalry or not so much?
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
No theres only like three bands at our school and as far as I know we dont have a rivarly with the other two. Helps that they're different genres
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
I had a band my sophomore year, and we had a rival band that was 2 juniors and 2 seniors.
I was just jealous of them, but they didn't care what we thought and they were actually really good.

In the end, I quit my band, dropped my jealousy, and ended up starting a band with the guitarist when that band broke up. I got quite the sweet deal
I don't have a rivalry with the other band at my school, it's more like a sibling relationship, lol. We're all seniors in my band with the exception of our singer (she's a junior) and the other band is made up of juniors and sophomores. We're all really good friends and they really look up to us. We're even on their influences section of their myspace, lol.
yup a shitty pop band called infidel
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Naw. We're all cool with each other and fill in for each others' bands plenty. None of us have getting signed as the top priority, it would just be nice; we're all in college or have college degrees and day jobs and play music for fun.

There's no "Metallica vs. Megadeth" or "Beatles vs. Stones" type of rivalry, and I think Mustaine plays-up the Metallica drama to stay in the news.
No....I have a rival guitarist but our bands play fine together....

Its funny about how Im better than him but thats a whole nother story....

(his band asked me to play for them....)

lol
We have one rivalry started by an ex-member with a grudge.We kicked him out because he was a 400 pound lazy un-talented high school drop out who could kinda write good songs.But when we kicked him out he got some other dudes who cant play near as good as us,even though they all are like 30 and we are 16 and 17.But they are dicks and start fake rumors that we are splitting up and stuff which is pretty annoying that we are now getting a decent fan-base.They have even gone to the point of hacking our myspace and deleting our frinds and stuff and putting fake songs up.But yeah thats our rivalry
In our attempt to seek individualty,we have all become the same

Im so hardcore I could kick a puppy right now
no, i didn't realize that music was a competition
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by WhoPhlungBass
We have one rivalry started by an ex-member with a grudge.We kicked him out because he was a 400 pound lazy un-talented high school drop out who could kinda write good songs.But when we kicked him out he got some other dudes who cant play near as good as us,even though they all are like 30 and we are 16 and 17.But they are dicks and start fake rumors that we are splitting up and stuff which is pretty annoying that we are now getting a decent fan-base.They have even gone to the point of hacking our myspace and deleting our frinds and stuff and putting fake songs up.But yeah thats our rivalry

^ that is fretarted....
Quote by groll01
no, i didn't realize that music was a competition

Irony!!

Here's why....

The music business is one of the most competitive industries on the planet.

And yet...

Band rivalries were a big thing in the '80's. Culturally, it was the 'me' generation and everything was all about the individual. Competition was king. Cooperation was for wusses. People would sabotage other bands' sets, refuse to share information like promoters' phone numbers, booking agents' names, etc. They'd deface other bands' posters, talk trash about them, etc. This was the era of the Metallica/Mustaine rivalry, along with the Bridge Wars rivalry in hip-hop between KRS-One and the Juice Crew.

But something interesting happened...

People found that they got further individually when they cooperated with other bands. United we stand, divided we fall. In the end, the cream would always rise to the top, and the bands that would make it anyways still did. The bands that wouldn't make it anyways, at least had more fun and had a little bit more success than they would have.

With the internet leading the way of what is currently a very collaborative culture, the whole 'music community' psyche is really alive and well, and is really the dominant ideology at the moment.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Not so much a band rivalry but more a guitarist rivalry.

I am not taken near as serious as one of the metal guitarist at my school because they think he is SOOO much better than me even though we play two WAY different genres.

He plays stuff like Trivium leads and I play thinks like Pink Floyd leads. Both require some amount of skill but I am always tossed backseat to his playing because he can play "faster" and "better" than me even though you shouldn't compare us.

The only reason this is a problem is that it has prevented me from playing with other musicians in my school because they don't think im anywhere near as good as this other guitarist. On top of that he is one of most popular kids in school so im sure that has something to do with it.
I used to be in a band that had a very public rivalry with another local band, the thing is though, it was all just a big publicity stunt done by both bands.
We were actualy really good mates with them, but we realised that our fans had a cirtain amount of friendly rivalry so we played it up a bit, which eventualy was picked up by a local newspaper reporter who used to print whatever was the latest news on our rivalry.
Actually, my old band started a "rivalry" (I'll explain the " bit in a minute), thanks to our lead singer's comments at Battle of the Bands.
Mid-way into our set at the semi-finals, he started ripping on them, as well as other Catholics in general and saying they couldn't sing etc.
We played an improvised grindcore song entitled "The Adventures of Mr. Slippyfist and the Vatican Boys" (The Vatican Boys is their nickname, not the actual band name).
We beat them and got through to the next round.
People started writing letters of complaint to the local paper about us.
People started writing abusive stuff about ME on our bebo/myspace pages.
Final time: The singer writes "X BAND GETS ME STIFF" across his chest and requests a cheer for them. Everyone chants their name and he yells out "Ah, you're all retarded," then we play the Slippyfist song again. People write more complaints etc. and it basically ends in me leaving the band.
Ironically, both bands remain good friends, and the guitarist of the other band's brother is one of my best mates - the ripping on them was a joke between the bands, which others failed to pick up on, meaning our paper published anti-defaced letters.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
no not really. most people in the music scene look down on that sort of thing as petty and lame. of course I'm not in highschool so that may have something to do with it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
There used to be rivalries between guitar players, but most of em moved away.

There is an almost silent rivalry between my friend's band and mine, because we share the same rhythm section (bassists/drummers who are dedicated and good are hard to come by)
Well we don't have any rivals i usually diss up the bands i play with at supernova shows (not to there face of course because thats just mean) because 90% are cover bands that sing yellowcard songs thinking their almost famous... but if they approach me and compliment me on our set then i compliment them too because its the right thing to do .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i was in a band which was actually hated by 90% of the other bands in the city; it was actually alot of fun.

we were a basic, bluesy hard rock band, who partied hard. our songs were pretty simple, but fun, with some fairly out there lyrics.

our singer thought he was morrison, our bassist thought he was nikki stix, our drummer was an ass! and i could out play most on lead guitar (yea, we were a pretty cocky bunch of guys).

we had all sorts of crazy stuff happen at gigs, the stage got rushed by a bar full of women; it happened twice, you could feel it coming, it was great!

other bands didn't like the way we walked, we were actually really nice guys!

when i look back at it, it seems that we might have been disliked so much because of the type of music we played. not many other bands even came close to our brand of rock, it was a brand which just wasn't 'cool' amongst my generation of musicians, and they probably didn't like the fact that we had a strong little following in the city.
Cream fan club member #11.
No not really, with bands that don't go to our school that we play with.... we've either just kind of ignored them if they weren't the same genre (they ignored us too, don't get the impression that were assholes or something) or in 4 cases we've became good friends with the other bands and have continued to play shows with them.

With bands at our school we throw parties together and play together all the time, jump around on the stage during each others sets and have a great time every time so...no rivalry there at all. We hang out before all the parties for like 2 days and cause mayhem around the city hahaha.

I kind of wish we had a rivalry though it sounds like fun. Except I would want them to be total assholes and us just be us and not give a shit.
We don't have any real rivalies with bands or other musicans but there is a bar that refuses to book us and hates the fact we host a jam night the same night as their jam night.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Not exactly a rivalry, but there is a bit of sporting competition with another local band. Our drummer/guitarist (we also have a guitarist/drummer, and they switch off) used to be the drummer for another local band, but got kicked out for drummer-like behavior.

Anyway, anytime we play a show together, there's a lot of smack-talking backstage before the show, in between sets, and afterward. It's all in good fun, helps loosen the mood a bit, and pushes us all to do our very best.

My personal favorite was telling the lead guitarist from the other band that I was glad they added his girlfriend's favorite slow song to their set - that way I could dance with her while he was stuck on stage.

Folks get the snobby rivalry attitudes in my area quite a bit, and I think that's part of the reason the music scene is much weaker than it could be. I gone a few times to this new songwriting circle where the host is basically trying his best to convince local talent to network together and create a sense of community.

I don't see anything wrong with friendly rivalry that is kind of done in jest, but being open to the other musicians around you will ultimately leave the whole musical scene more healthy.
my town kinda has rivalries between bands but its not the bands doing it. its the fans of this one band who are telling people they should give up and that the band they are friends with are better than everyone and a bunch of high school BS but lately once the other band found out the progress of my band they have started to get people to tell us to quit cuz well never be as good as them. its quite funny actually
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Quote by P.B.
i was in a band which was actually hated by 90% of the other bands in the city; it was actually alot of fun.

we were a basic, bluesy hard rock band, who partied hard. our songs were pretty simple, but fun, with some fairly out there lyrics.

our singer thought he was morrison, our bassist thought he was nikki stix, our drummer was an ass! and i could out play most on lead guitar (yea, we were a pretty cocky bunch of guys).

we had all sorts of crazy stuff happen at gigs, the stage got rushed by a bar full of women; it happened twice, you could feel it coming, it was great!

other bands didn't like the way we walked, we were actually really nice guys!

when i look back at it, it seems that we might have been disliked so much because of the type of music we played. not many other bands even came close to our brand of rock, it was a brand which just wasn't 'cool' amongst my generation of musicians, and they probably didn't like the fact that we had a strong little following in the city.

That sounds erotic.....

Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by AmpleSteak
Well we don't have any rivals i usually diss up the bands i play with at supernova shows (not to there face of course because thats just mean) because 90% are cover bands that sing yellowcard songs thinking their almost famous... but if they approach me and compliment me on our set then i compliment them too because its the right thing to do .

You sound like a dickhead.
Not really any outspoken rivalries in our area - however we just dont seem to get on with other bands if that makes sense? They don't really talk to us even if we try to talk to them, probably because we play classic rock and they play some screamo/emo nonsense (no offense!). However a few new classic rock bands have cropped up and we get on ace with them - so perhaps its just an unspoken music scene vs music scene kinda thing??? I don't really know lol
Mine is the only band in our town! There are lots of bands but they are all with members who are 20+ and they are from other towns around my town. I was talking with this one promoter and he said that there are no local bands in this town, and I was like you mean you've never heard our band? So he came to our practice and booked us. That show doubled our fan base.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
No, basically because the only place to record is my friends house, and he records for free. So basically everyone is there, and I'd have to say basically everyone has played on everyone elses album.
Quote by Riffrider300
Not really any outspoken rivalries in our area - however we just dont seem to get on with other bands if that makes sense? They don't really talk to us even if we try to talk to them, probably because we play classic rock and they play some screamo/emo nonsense (no offense!). However a few new classic rock bands have cropped up and we get on ace with them - so perhaps its just an unspoken music scene vs music scene kinda thing??? I don't really know lol

How can there be new classic rock bands if what they've wrote isn't a classic song?
Unless they're a cover band.

I get you, lol

Yeah, there was this time my band had a run in with some screamo kids who kinda challenged us to play one of their style of songs. We accepted and challenged them to play one of ours (kinda Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crueish kinda stuff). So eventually we came to an agreement that my band would play Artist in the Ambulance by Thrice (even though they aren't really a screamo band, weird ) and the screamo guys would play Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne.

It was kinda like a dance off thing at a coffee house some guys in the town set up. The little battle was like a headliner. Anyway, they went on first and pulled off the beginning pretty ok... in C standard tuning. It was different, but alltogether the song didn't sound to bad. Their guitarist played a pretty sweet guitar solo, but he couldn't figure out any licks to put in after the chorus parts (Going off the rails on a Crazy Train! *sick guitar lick*) and screwed up the verse riff a couple times. The whole thing was screamed which was interesting, but it worked.

My band went up, guitars tuned to drop C and we played the song pretty much just like it was recorded by Thrice except I threw in some different licks and pinch harmonix and stuff during the verses. We also did some vocal harmonizing in during the chorus, it sounded pretty sweet. In the end, the crowd liked our performance better (applause-o-meter) and the two bands shook hands and stuff. Now we have a friendly rivalry thing going on, thinking about maybe doing that again.

(oh and Artist in the Ambulance is now in our gig setlist :p
My band used to have a rivalry with another band in our year but they split up, so I guess we won

As a band we don't take the whole being in a band thing seriously - it's just a laugh and lot of fun for us! So we constantly poke fun at the local scene in general, have some jokes, as a consequence, other bands get offended (those that take it too seriously) and they don't like it. It's all kept below the board tho.

Having said that - we've made friends with loads of great bands. Everyone helps everyone out with gigs and that stuff as so we get plenty of gigs coming our way! Reputations are a very important thing - good rep = more gigs = more fun. Bad rep = less gigs = no fun!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Riffrider300

Actually, I recently saw a Classic Rock-inspired band play with a bunch of Metalcore bands, and they seemed to get along fine.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
My band, Destroy Within; rivals with a local band Deathpoint because they just keep talking shit; but they can never back it up live; we always step up the bar; always putting on a better live show. They are quite terrible.
Yeah, the very first gig my band played, we blew this other band of 30 year olds out of the water, and they have been at EVERY SINGLE one of our gigs since, I don't think they like us, they play alot of boring stuff, they play it well and all that, but it gets boring to hear 4 Pink Floyd songs, and Simple Man over and over again, they never really change their set, but we usually go on right after or before them and steal their thunder or blow them away.
Well, I'm not really sure about this one because only our friends tell us about this...

There's a certain guy on our school who talks about shit on our bands...

We play Metallica, Led Zep, Rainbow, and stuff like that and they play alternative rock like Paramore and the like...

I don't know why this guy throws shit on our band...

What do you guys think?