I'm saving my moneys and starting to check out some amps. I was thinking of getting a combo amp which would probably be the most practical since I don't play in a band and have limited space and volume could be an issue, I tried a valveking today, it was not bad. Then I tried a powerball and now I'm thinking a half stack is starting to have a nice ring to it heheh. So a few questions/whatnot:

Got any tips to get the best settings/sounds out of the powerball? EQs, ect.
I like a well defined and full sound with that bottom end that gives it the power. What I don't like with the distortion I have right now is that the plam mutes sound kinda fizzy and you hear the pick scratching the strings and not enough impact. My friends SS 60 watt randall combo had real bassy sound I liked. Good cleans are important of course.

Also any cab suggestions that would go well with said amp?
A 2x12 would be the most practical, I'd have to take this thing down stairs.
I know there are mesa, orange, marshall, bugera, behringer, cabs easily available and some others.

Aaannd: what other amps should I be checking out? I've tried a mesa roadking combo, a bugera 333, and a few oranges (good cleans )
I'm looking for something tube and high gain that can pretty much cover most rock and metal. Like for example Tiger Army, Loverboy, Scorpians, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Iced Earth, Mastodon, Death, and Nile.

Oh yes budget. Hmm well something that I can find in a store pretty much. So about $2000 for a head or combo. Cab I need sugestions.
Last edited by CapnKickass at Oct 7, 2008,
Marshall JCM 800
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Marshall JCM 800

haha your funny

try the peavey triple xxx. ultra and the 5150. personally i really perfer the triple x. amazing amp.
a 4x12 cab would give you a better bass response and you'll like the sound better if you want a defined bottom end to your sound.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
get an avatar 2x12 for a cab
and get it with speakers to suit your genre

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

dude i wouldnt recommend an engl. i find them a bit spongy and undefined. i would have a serious look at the peavey xxx (nice all rounder), a marshall jvm50watt head ( a very nice amp. and all rounder. can be made to sound evil with an eq pedal in the loop ), or a bogner shiva if you can stretch to afford it. i love marshall 1960av/bv cabs. the y have that tight bass response and those speakers push some air.

i find a lot of these 'high gain' amps actually have lots of distortion, but either no definition, or they have no balls, just fizz. you can get that from a decent pedal. good useable gain that you cant hide behind, and a really good speaker cab is all you need. those first two amps ive suggested are availible at reasonable prices and i dont think you would be dissapointed
Quote by kckyle
haha your funny

try the peavey triple xxx. ultra and the 5150. personally i really perfer the triple x. amazing amp.

Yeah, I didn't see any 5150s around, but if I do I'll check em out.

a 4x12 cab would give you a better bass response and you'll like the sound better if you want a defined bottom end to your sound.

Cool, so what are generally the tonal differences between a 2x12 and a 4x12? Bottom end is good. what else?
Quote by kckyle
haha your funny

Tiger Army, Loverboy, Scorpians, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Iced Earth, Mastodon, Death, and Nile.

huh
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kckyle
huh?

how is recommending a JCM 800 for the bands he listed funny? Sure it wont nail all of them, but there are a few it'd nail beautifully ( iron maiden, helloween, iced earth, maybe even death..)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
how is recommending a JCM 800 for the bands he listed funny? Sure it wont nail all of them, but there are a few it'd nail beautifully ( iron maiden, helloween, iced earth, maybe even death..)

well. from my experience a gain maxed out jcm800 is equivalent to the crunch channel on the triple x. so.......
Quote by kayman121

lol iunno I'll check it out anyhow, I'm sure the cleans are good at the very least. I've never been all that interested in marshalls, but I could give them a chance.
Quote by kckyle
well. from my experience a gain maxed out jcm800 is equivalent to the crunch channel on the triple x. so.......

Was it a reissue?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Was it a reissue?

not quite sure. how ever i did try out a anniversary edition which suppose to be 800,900 and the plexi in one. that sounded too bluesy as well.
The reissues suck.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
What about a Peavey JSX half-stack? Very versatile imo. Hunt the Vintage 30's on craigslist later on for your cabs eventually.

If only the Powerball wasn't that expensive, unless you can find that used on craigslist (good luck on that). That is one awesome ENGL amp.
orange have a tone of low end and the JCM 800 would be awesome with a overdrive im pretty sure death and nile use marshalls im guess scopians used em being an 80's band and maiden use em look into the dual channel model 2205 pretty sweet and by the way the gain isnt where the balls comes from on the 800's its the power amp section
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Last edited by angusslashdime at Oct 8, 2008,
The Engls are good amps, some people like them and some people don't. It's really a pointless argument when each of us are entitled to our own opinion.

TS, if you get the Powerball, try out the engl cabs. If you're limited in space then maybe take a look at the 2x12's they have.

As for people recommending the 5150, he said he has a limit on space and volume. The 5150 really isn't to great until it's turned up quite a bit.
I also recommend a Peavey JSX. Warmer and thicker sounding than the XXX, with a bit less gain. The gain on the JSX is also very defined and clear at high volumes.

If you don't want high gain fizz and more of a thick tone from amps like the XXX, JSX, Powerball you have to crank the master volume and keep the channel volume lower. The fizzy gain is what happens when the preamp output is higher than the poweramps output level.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I also recommend a Peavey JSX. Warmer and thicker sounding than the XXX, with a bit less gain. The gain on the JSX is also very defined and clear at high volumes.

If you don't want high gain fizz and more of a thick tone from amps like the XXX, JSX, Powerball you have to crank the master volume and keep the channel volume lower. The fizzy gain is what happens when the preamp output is higher than the poweramps output level.

That's a cool tip, makes sense to me, Poweramp gives the power. I've never heard the JSX yet.

orange have a tone of low end and the JCM 800 would be awesome with a overdrive im pretty sure death and nile use marshalls im guess scopians used em being an 80's band and maiden use em look into the dual channel model 2205 pretty sweet and by the way the gain isnt where the balls comes from on the 800's its the power amp section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEboEJGlls mmm I like, I've always thought of orange more for their clean sound and rock n roll kind of distortion.
Quote by metaligeologist
dude i wouldnt recommend an engl. i find them a bit spongy and undefined. i would have a serious look at the peavey xxx (nice all rounder), a marshall jvm50watt head ( a very nice amp. and all rounder. can be made to sound evil with an eq pedal in the loop ), or a bogner shiva if you can stretch to afford it. i love marshall 1960av/bv cabs. the y have that tight bass response and those speakers push some air.

anyway, generally i run engls with the bass and mids pretty high (7-9) and the treble and presence quite a bit lower (3-5). worth trying, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
metaligeologist lost the plot some way back i believe.....

and my advice as an Englman - is exactly what the other Dave said - as i also said in the other thread!
yeah, sometimes it feels like you're repeating yourself around here...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, sometimes it feels like you're repeating yourself around here...

ah, i see what you did there....the smilies.....nice touch!
i didn't actually mean that, lol, but
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CapnKickass
I was thinking of getting a combo amp which would probably be the most practical since I don't play in a band and have limited space and volume could be an issue.

A 2x12 would be the most practical, I'd have to take this thing down stairs.

You're getting a lot of great suggestions here. But if space, volume, lugging gear, and not being in a band are where you are at, getting a half-stack 4x12 is NOT the way to go.

Even with master volume, you're looking into buying heads that don't sound their best until cranked. I'm not saying you can't get a good tone with a half stack unless it's on 10. But who buys a sports car just so they can drive it in low gear in the city limits to do errands, and where the cops are everywhere making sure they can't speed with it? No one, because that's a stupid waste of potential, and it's also not practical for its use. The same goes with buying an all-tube half stack of this size to play in a bedroom on your own.

My advice: look into getting a Mesa or Marshall all-tube combo--a 50 watt combo with one or 2 12s will do you fine, and don't worry about bottom end either, if you're playing in a small space, getting that thump will not be difficult. Used JCM 800 or 900 combos, or new Vintage Modern or JVM ones, anything in between......just look around. A Peavey Classic 50, with a pedal, will also do quite well. That may be a timeworn response for people here, but still. What any of these amps can't get on their own, a pedal can solve to get that little extra boost to get the other tones. If you must go the head/2x12 route, don't go above 50 watts--there's no point for your situation. It's like dropping a nuke to kill a fly.
^ i disagree, to be honest, it's not like you could crank a 50 watt (even 30 watt) combo in those situations either... and if the 100 watter is more aimed at the tones he's after... EDIT: i know what you're saying, and in certain situations I'd agree, but it depends on the music he plays, if he plays modern metal (which i'd assume he does if he's looking at the powerball), i know i'd rather have a 100 watt halfstack which is aimed at modern metal than a classic 30 + od, no question.

also, a head + 2x12 cab is arguably easier to transport than a 2x12 combo...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The balance of all situations is definitely a head (30w-50w - no more is needed these days with great P.As) and a 2x12 cab.

Why? A 2x12 cab these days can be phenomenally light, yet massively projecting! Three off the top of my head are THD, Orange and Mesa - i put THD first because (why i chose it) it has the power and even more projection and bass than the other two, yet weighs 19kg to the other 28-29kg

A 2x12 sound is a lot more to do with the design of the cab over the speakers - over a 4x12 (the best 4x12 config is the classic Bogner X-placing)

I can place this 2x12 of mine next to a Marshall A/B and it blows it away.

I've owned a few 2x12 combo's and most have been a compromise - one that hasn't was the Silver Jubilee - but it was dangerous near my car and near my back with the single carry handle.

Anyway - it comes down to the fact that a 1x12 is loud enough, but lacks bass response - a 4x12 has more than enough bass response but use some roadies - AND a 100w head WAS used by professionals on big stages because of the lack of accurate and substantial P.As - 100w heads are far different today and can be adequately used on small stages because of the preamp design - yes, tonemonkeys will fall by the wayside weeping, but to the general audience in a rock band mix - it is pretty kick ass!

I'll write more when i can think of it!

And yes Dave, i thought my smiley would make you think i didn't mean that....never mind! haha
Last edited by davedoom at Oct 10, 2008,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
kewl. Let me say, yeah I'm not really into compromising tone, so that's a reason why I'm a bit wary of just going for a combo. The amp should be able to keep me satisfied for a long time and I don't plan on playing by myself forever. I did like the tone and options on the Engl quite a bit. 4 channels (modes w/e) and the bottom and focus buttons were cool.
yeah man get the engl for those bands. I have played a jcm 800 extensively for metal, and it (when using an overdrive in front) will give you the gain you need, but its very undefined, its not really what and 800 was made for. i am the biggest 800 fan, but not for metal. the engl is also what peavey products wish they were, i would not even consider 5150 or any of that other muddy stuff compared to the powerball. those amps all sound great when youre just chillin and playing, but if youre in a band and want an amp that sounds professional and comes across well live, spend the extra dough and get the engl.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.