Okay, so I'm tired of retuning my guitar every minute because the tuners blow.

Can you guys suggest tuners with good tuning stability, chrome, 3x3, and are on the cheap side (<$50)

Also:

Pickup covers without pickup holes. Would that affect my tone? Or should I just go for the ones with hoes, but are 1/16th of an inch too big?

Thanks!
Last edited by Mitchell? at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by drunkinkoala
It's weird, kids want to be adults and adults want to be kids.

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
grover, schaller,sperzal are all good.

the covers wont affect tone a noticable amount. get the ones with the holes, ones with no holes wont fit because the screws stick out.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
It only happens on the G string, and I've never had problems restringing any other guitar though.
Planet wave locking trimlok tuners. I swear by thise things. played my guitar 1-2 hours a day every day for a week, only tuned once.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Have you tried graphite lubrication? Use pencil lead.

It's got a Graph Tech nut, so I don't think it's the nut, but I'll try it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of guitar is it? Does it have string trees?

PRS SE Custom.

No string-trees, an angled headstock.

EDIT: Thanks for sticking with me by the way.
I have an Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard, and it came with Grover tuners. They SUCK. None of the strings stay in tune, and no, it's not my stringing technique or lubrication on the nut. Do not buy Grover tuners, I probably got a lemon set, but it was pretty disappointed when the guitar came and wouldn't even stay in tune for more than thirty seconds, after breaking in the strings for a few weeks even.
^I have a set of grovers on my acoustic. Haven't had to adjust them in weeks. The guitar is still in tune... I will admit however, that I use .14s but it's still remarkable...
Yeah, I think my action is too high as well, though I don't think that'd really affect the tuning? 4mm is the height of my low E string at the fifth fret, and it's definitely tougher to play than my others. I think the factory set-up is just shit. I'll go have someone stick a new nut on and lower the action, since Grovers are usually really reliable.

Any thoughts?

And to TS, I have 3x3 chrome Schaller's on a Schecter I have. I tune it once a week maybe.
Quote by CrossBack7
I have an Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard, and it came with Grover tuners. They SUCK. None of the strings stay in tune, and no, it's not my stringing technique or lubrication on the nut. Do not buy Grover tuners, I probably got a lemon set, but it was pretty disappointed when the guitar came and wouldn't even stay in tune for more than thirty seconds, after breaking in the strings for a few weeks even.

I'd blame that more on your stringing technique than your tuners. Why? THOUSANDS upon thousands of people like and use Grovers with great success.
not to mention that Epi uses grover ripoffs and not the real thing....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^really? damn then i got screwed on mine....now im pissed....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
mines '05 and didnt have em..so im guessin pretty recently..
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
locking tuners dont make a huge difference in tuning stability. i just lubed everything on my guitar with chap stick and it goes ou of tune like 3 times slower than normal. put a little in every place wher the strings touch the guitar like saddles, nut, tuners, string trees and it will help. locking tuners are mainly for ease in restringing. they are better quality than most tuners, which is the only reason why i see them staying in tune better.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
It's not my stringing technique. Two other guitars, they stay in tune great. I'm not a moron. I already lubed the nut and bridge, it helped a little, but not much.

I put on a pair of Schallers yesterday, works great now. I really think it was just a lemon set. I'll go sell them to a local store to make up for the Schallers.

And it was a Limited Edition Custom, the Grovers could have been one of the perks, though they didn't work out for me. I'll try them on a different guitar to see if they're worth keeping.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
not to mention that Epi uses grover ripoffs and not the real thing....

if they are grover knockoffs than why do they have the label "grover" on every single one of them

research facts before being stupid
^But he then goes on to say his is an older one. Don't be such an idiot before reading the whole post...