I have a quick question for any of you VHT users out there.

Do you have to crank these amps to get a good tone?
Or are they pretty good at low volume?
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
i dont own vht, but its given that any tube amp in that category WILL always sound better cranked. tubes are usually not great for super low volumes. you can however use a THD hotplate which helps the tone at lower volumes. and are you decided on VHT? i dont really like them at all but w/e.
Gear:
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Strat
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
2x12 cab
crybaby 535q
Yamaha acoustic
zoom fire 36
boss mega distortion
I haven't seen anybody on UG who owns a VHT. On Harmony Central, there's DeathMonkey or SteveVHT (not sure about spelling for either); I'm pretty sure they have a VHT though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah i might have to go over there and ask them.

yes i know tubes usually sound better at high volumes.
But i'm just looking for something thats better at low volumes than my 5150.

I've come across a couple VHT Pitbulls w/ GEQs within my budget, so i'd really like to get one.
Already read reviews and stuff, listened to a bunch of clips. I think they sound amazing.
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
get it. I tried one at a GC with the volume at around 1 or 2, and it was really sweet. I'm thinking my next amps gunna be an Ultra-Lead by VHT, but that's WAAAAAAAAY in the future. They're amazing amps.
I'm talking to a guy about buying a Pitbull 100/cl, The UL's little brother pretty much!

Someone buy my 5150 please?!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Oh God! I am GASing for a VHT Deliverance and Sig:X. I love the responsiveness of these amps. You can get a decent tone at low volume as part of their sound is derived from having loads of headroom (most of them run KT88s, which distort very late)
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by schecterboy3000
i dont own vht, but its given that any tube amp in that category WILL always sound better cranked. tubes are usually not great for super low volumes. you can however use a THD hotplate which helps the tone at lower volumes. and are you decided on VHT? i dont really like them at all but w/e.

Dammitdammitdammit, not this again...

This is a misconception. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CRANK AMPS LIKE THIS. They are high gain, they get their gain from the preamp. You actually want to avoid cranking amps like these too loud, you don't want power amp breakup. You just need to turn it up loud enough so that the sound opens up, which you can usually hear happening very quickly (should happen around 1 for most high wattage monsters, sometimes before).
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
I'm talking to a guy about buying a Pitbull 100/cl, The UL's little brother pretty much!

Someone buy my 5150 please?!

What kind of music do you play? I tried it with two guitars; a 6 string Schecter, and a 7 string Hellraiser. I generally play lots of rock and metal, but dabble in other stuff as well. I basically like a really clean sound, and a really heavy sound in an amp, and the Pitbull can deliver. If you want an idea as to their sound, listen to stuff like ISIS, Unearth, and Mudvayne.

Aaron from ISIS used to use several Sunn amps, but now uses just one UL, and he goes for REALLY clean sounds (basically to the point of making a JC-120 it's bitch), and a really heavy, sludgy tone, and through the UL he can achieve that, but it's never muddy and really clear. Ken and Buz from Unearth use the Pitbull in conjunction with another amp (Deliverance for Ken, 5150 for Buz). I think Greg just uses a 100CL for his live/recording amp.

But yea, they can get REALLY clean on the clean channel, to cranked AC30 with the gain up high, and the lead channel can go from something like SRV/Hendrix/Gilmour with a strat style guitar, to uber brutal with a 7 string with EMGs, or even just a 6 string in E or Drop D. Shit, even scooping all the mids out, it was still clear....the ONLY thing I could POSSIBLY find wrong with them is that I may have wanted a warmer clean sound, but hell, i mostly stick with the bridge pickup, so if I wanted to I'd just throw on the neck pickup and there, done.

Edit: also, look up the pitbull on youtube; one guy has a demo with an Ibanez UV and uses the lead channel strictly, and goes from teh brutal00rz with the bridge and neck pickup, then rolls off the volume and uses the inbetween position and gets pure tele twang that's as clean as...well...a tele!

Dammit, I really want one of these amps.... : [
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Oct 7, 2008,
Quote by Sonicxlover

This is a misconception. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CRANK AMPS LIKE THIS. They are high gain, they get their gain from the preamp. You actually want to avoid cranking amps like these too loud, you don't want power amp breakup. You just need to turn it up loud enough so that the sound opens up, which you can usually hear happening very quickly (should happen around 1 for most high wattage monsters, sometimes before).

well actually a lot of high gain amps still need to be turned up quite loud.
you still want the warmth of the power tubes effecting your sound, it gets rid of the fizz and harshness and also adds power tube compression. We don't just use power tubes for the break up.

I'm guessing you haven't played a 5150 or Mesa Rectifier, its a night and day difference between cranked (good sounding) and low volume (pretty damn bad sounding).

And thanks guys!
you make me want this amp even more!
just need to sell that 5150!

oh and the guy i'm potentially buying it from is going to make a bedroom volume demo for me so ill let you know how that goes!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Two things to know about VHT -

they are tight

they are dry

(i'll try and ignore that innuendo....)

Very good amps - but so different to the rival amps of Mesa, Engl, Orange RV, 5150

Im still not sure about the cleans - they are great but have very little dynamics imo - but looking at what you have - i think the cleans will still be better than that!
Quote by davedoom

they are tight

they are dry

(i'll try and ignore that innuendo....)

Usually you get one or the other.

...I'm sorry, I'll leave.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover

I don't own a VHT, but I think I may be able to help a little here.
There's a lot of truth to this for some amps in my experience. Many of you know I have a Soldano SLO 100, which is very similar to a VHT Pittbull 100W (I played one when I was shopping for the SLO). Dry, tight as all getout, roars like a mad beast. They both are deafeningly loud turned up to 2, & just become deeper & ballsier as you go up from there (which is virtually unusable in a band situation, even w/ a loud drummer). Once the power section starts to distort you're in a totally different tonal area, & it's not necessarily all great, which is why my SLO does not respond well to attenuation. I play at low volume often enough, & the sound is much thinner, but like the VHT, it thickens up quickly as you get to gig/practice volume. It does sound better at low volumes than MOST other amps, though. If you want a beastly amp that sounds really good at bedroom levels & incredible when cranked, check out a 5150 III. Just remarkable IMO. Does it all.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I don't own a VHT, but I think I may be able to help a little here.
There's a lot of truth to this for some amps in my experience. Many of you know I have a Soldano SLO 100, which is very similar to a VHT Pittbull 100W (I played one when I was shopping for the SLO). Dry, tight as all getout, roars like a mad beast. They both are deafeningly loud turned up to 2, & just become deeper & ballsier as you go up from there (which is virtually unusable in a band situation, even w/ a loud drummer). Once the power section starts to distort you're in a totally different tonal area, & it's not necessarily all great, which is why my SLO does not respond well to attenuation. I play at low volume often enough, & the sound is much thinner, but like the VHT, it thickens up quickly as you get to gig/practice volume. It does sound better at low volumes than MOST other amps, though. If you want a beastly amp that sounds really good at bedroom levels & incredible when cranked, check out a 5150 III. Just remarkable IMO. Does it all.

Yeah if i dont sell my 5150 combo for a while, my budget will be high enough for one of those 5153's used.
I've played them a few times at Guitar Center and they really are truly great amps.
I just couldnt find a good setting for a tight metal rythym, but i only had 10 minutes, i'm sure i would have found one.
You're thread a while back about this amp (and demoing it in GC) already made me GAS for one, now you're just adding to it!
Guitar:
Amps:
Engl Fireball