ok i didnt know to put this in the bass forum or the electric guitar forum so i put it here

i was wondering, i thought it would be cool

but

can you play a regular bass line to any song, with a regular six-string electric guitar?
Quote by Ahyoka
Pop goes the weasel...with the casket closed

Quote by Jsteele1408
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Quote by Tastytaco
mmm... if a girl has Tourette's and screams "f*** me!", would that be consent?

PSN: jermstar44
yes but it wont have the same tone... i practiced bass lines on my squier guitar so when i went to guitar center i knew how to play stuff when i tried out basses. but the feeling of a bass and guitar are very different.
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
would i play it in like standard tuning or would i have to tune way low?
Quote by Ahyoka
Pop goes the weasel...with the casket closed

Quote by Jsteele1408
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Quote by Tastytaco
mmm... if a girl has Tourette's and screams "f*** me!", would that be consent?

PSN: jermstar44
it doesnt really matter you wouldnt get the same tone as a bass no matter what you tune it to... but if you tune it down i guess your closer to the real sound of a bass.

never buy a squier!
The short answer yes, and you can play guitar solos on bass. Sound the same? No because of what BassmanArk has said and because the tonal differences between the two instruments.
you could get a guitar with a humbucker in the neck position and put in a Dimarzio Tone zone, or that emg select bass pickup that fits into a guitar humbucker housing. Or get either a jazz master or jaguar and use Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder replacement pickups for either, especially the Jazzmaster
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
It will never sound the same...the scale length and string guages are different, which has a huge effect on your tone. Plus, you would have very little string tension if you tuned down a whole octave..it wouldn't be very playable at all.

Your best bet is to find an octaver. Danelectro makes a fairly cheap one that would work fine...I think it's the "chili dog". Even then, though, it won't sound quite like a real bass.
Nope, no sig here.
^ ya, I know, but those are the three bassiest guitar pickups I know of
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Mutant Corn
It will never sound the same...the scale length and string guages are different, which has a huge effect on your tone. Plus, you would have very little string tension if you tuned down a whole octave..it wouldn't be very playable at all.

Your best bet is to find an octaver. Danelectro makes a fairly cheap one that would work fine...I think it's the "chili dog". Even then, though, it won't sound quite like a real bass.

For an example of MC's suggestion, go listen to a little song called "Seven Nation Army" by a little band called The White Stripes.

The question seems pointless to me though. You can play any part on any instrument. I could play a guitar part on an accordion, or a bass part on a trumpet, or a saxophone part on a glass harmonica. Because [effectively] all instruments operate in the same musical scale, and you can play any note on any instrument, restricted of course by that instrument's range.

If you play a bass part on a guitar, it becomes a guitar part. Simple as.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Yeah, unless the bassline utilizes a 5- or 6-string bass.

For that, you're going to have to tune to Low B with a high C (BEADGC), or get a 7-string guitar and tune to the Magical, Mystical Circle of Fifths (BEADGCF).

It'll still sound an octave higher, though.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
you'd have to use one of those effects which make your sound 1 octave lower
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by Mutant Corn

or... he could buy a bass?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
...or that, I agree it'd be better...but TS was asking about playing bass lines with a guitar.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Serjem
you'd have to use one of those effects which make your sound 1 octave lower

ಠ_ಠ

HAHAHA that is awesome.
or he could just play and let it sound a octave higher until he buys a bass.

never buy a squier!