Ok I'm in the market for a new guitar. I was looking at muscians friend and found that the Gibson Robot guitars are on a major sale!!!! They are usually in the $4k area, now the Les Paul Studio LTD robot is only $1700!!!!! The SG is only $1400!!

Now my question is has anybody played the robot?? Is it really that much better, does the tuner really work, or does it screw up alot? Is it a good sounding guitar? Any input would be awesome!

Thanks!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
seen tons. never played one. its like all gibsons. high quality but WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY over priced.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
i saw that the sg's were going for $1400, but alas, i have no money . i haven't played one though, sorry
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The problem with them is they're based on the Studio (LP) and Special (SG) models, which are pretty poor (yes, I have played both). You're paying Standard prices for something of sub-Standard quality, just because of the 'robot' system - and the robot system is only useful for people regularly playing big gigs night after night. If that's not you (and it almost certainly isn't), then there's no point, spend the money on a better quality Standard instead.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The problem with them is they're based on the Studio (LP) and Special (SG) models, which are pretty poor (yes, I have played both). You're paying Standard prices for something of sub-Standard quality, just because of the 'robot' system - and the robot system is only useful for people regularly playing big gigs night after night. If that's not you (and it almost certainly isn't), then there's no point, spend the money on a better quality Standard instead.

but something like that for 1400 does sound tempting... i would say you get a used gibson sg supreme or 61 reissued
i just saw that too, the silver Sg caught my eye. To bad im broke.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Oct 7, 2008,
I played a Robot Les Paul. It felt pretty average to me, the tone was decent, and I found the tuning presets a bit complicated. I used the manual correctly and used the dial properly but I couldn't seem to get the guitar to tune itself to anything other than standard.
It's overpriced for a Gibson that has crappy intonation and cosmetic flaws.
Quote by AiC75
that has crappy intonation.
Well, 1) intonation can be easily fixed on any guitar, and 2) the Robot even comes with a feature to help you intonate it properly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
"You're paying Standard prices for something of sub-Standard quality,"

I have been wondering about this, can someone discern the differences between the standard and studio in addition to the cosmetic ones for me?
and what does it mean in the big picture
Quote by MrFlibble
Well, 1) intonation can be easily fixed on any guitar, and 2) the Robot even comes with a feature to help you intonate it properly.

True, but I played a Swamp Ash Studio right beside it, and it plays and sounds way better.

I personally cannot justify spending $1,699 in that condition imo. But to each his own I guess.
Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Ok I'm in the market for a new guitar. I was looking at muscians friend and found that the Gibson Robot guitars are on a major sale!!!! They are usually in the $4k area, now the Les Paul Studio LTD robot is only $1700!!!!! The SG is only $1400!!

Now my question is has anybody played the robot?? Is it really that much better, does the tuner really work, or does it screw up alot? Is it a good sounding guitar? Any input would be awesome!

Thanks!

They're not better, they're worse - as far as a Gibson goes the guitars themselves are the bottom of the pile, that tuning gubbins isn't cheap.

Really not worth the money, you could get something amazing for that kind of money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright I think this is pretty much all I needed. I have decided not to get one. I'm pretty sure I have a solid idea of what to get though. Probably the ESP EC-1000 in vintage black or snow white, that will still leave me with $600-$800 left over that I would have spent on that gibson, and I will through that into an amp. I think that is gonna be the win-win situation.

Thanks everybody for you help.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by MrFlibble

sorry to flame you pal, but that is complete and utter rubbish!!!

The studio and special models are made in the same factory as the higher priced models, by the same people, using the same wood, using gibson pick ups, using the same techniques etc

they just dont have the binding and other cosmetic stuff that people seem to want.

if someone has played a bad studio, it will almost certainly be down to a bad set up, which gibsons are renowned for these days, a problem you will be just as likely to find on a herritage or standard.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
^ So true, I've played ****ed up standards, and customs, and ****ed up studios. But they are still the same guitar to begin with.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Correction LTD EC-1000.

Quote by kOoL AiD2420
Alright I think this is pretty much all I needed. I have decided not to get one. I'm pretty sure I have a solid idea of what to get though. Probably the ESP EC-1000 in vintage black or snow white, that will still leave me with $600-$800 left over that I would have spent on that gibson, and I will through that into an amp. I think that is gonna be the win-win situation.

Thanks everybody for you help.
The Les Paul is kindof ugly with the blue thing going, and the tuning system doesn't work satisfactory yet (lots of players complain about having to by-tune still) but if you're in any position to get it, get it, because it's a first gen Gibson Les Paul Robot guitar and either it's the future and you'll have the first gen or it will be discontinued and you'll have the only gen. Anyhow it's going to be worth assloads of money. Getitgetitget

and dont play it
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by hippyheaven1
sorry to flame you pal, but that is complete and utter rubbish!!!

The studio and special models are made in the same factory as the higher priced models, by the same people, using the same wood, using gibson pick ups, using the same techniques etc

they just dont have the binding and other cosmetic stuff that people seem to want.

if someone has played a bad studio, it will almost certainly be down to a bad set up, which gibsons are renowned for these days, a problem you will be just as likely to find on a herritage or standard.

Dude, let people believe what they want to believe. They try one studio and all studio's are junk. They also throw you the same crap about them using the spare shitty wood that they wouldn't put in a standard to make a studio. Do any of you guys understand how much work goes into putting the binding on a guitar and all the rest of that cosmetic stuff? A hell of alot of work when done by hand.

Also, to the guy buying an EC-1000...you ever play active pickups? Try them out first...personally i had to sell my EC-1000 because i couldn't stand them.
Quote by bornfidelity
The Les Paul is kindof ugly with the blue thing going, and the tuning system doesn't work satisfactory yet (lots of players complain about having to by-tune still) but if you're in any position to get it, get it, because it's a first gen Gibson Les Paul Robot guitar and either it's the future and you'll have the first gen or it will be discontinued and you'll have the only gen. Anyhow it's going to be worth assloads of money. Getitgetitget

and dont play it

yeah man, its a really ugly colour. I cant figure out why they didnt judt add the tech to one of the good looking studio guitars.

If your getting a guitar to play, play all the studios you can find and get the best one, but if your collecting guitars as an investment, then its the robot - in my opinion.

Quote by metaxis
Dude, let people believe what they want to believe. They try one studio and all studio's are junk. They also throw you the same crap about them using the spare shitty wood that they wouldn't put in a standard to make a studio. Do any of you guys understand how much work goes into putting the binding on a guitar and all the rest of that cosmetic stuff? A hell of alot of work when done by hand.

Also, to the guy buying an EC-1000...you ever play active pickups? Try them out first...personally i had to sell my EC-1000 because i couldn't stand them.

thats got to be the silliest thing ive ever heard!

if people are running round saying the sky is really not blue but green and that grass is red, should i let them believe that too?

yes the binding takes a lot of work, but is purley aesthetic and does not make it a better guitar.

they are also not made of "crappy" wood. They are made from the same wood. The only difference is that the maple top is not as highly figured - it still has the same tonal qualities.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Oct 9, 2008,
by a gibson standard and a tuner....

problem solved.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by hippyheaven1
yeah man, its a really ugly colour. I cant figure out why they didnt judt add the tech to one of the good looking studio guitars.

If your getting a guitar to play, play all the studios you can find and get the best one, but if your collecting guitars as an investment, then its the robot - in my opinion.

thats got to be the silliest thing ive ever heard!

if people are running round saying the sky is really not blue but green and that grass is red, should i let them believe that too?

yes the binding takes a lot of work, but is purley aesthetic and does not make it a better guitar.

they are also not made of "crappy" wood. They are made from the same wood. The only difference is that the maple top is not as highly figured - it still has the same tonal qualities.

I'm actually agreeing with you. What i'm saying is that I don't have the energy to go into every thread where someone bashes Gibson to try and change their mind.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
by a gibson standard and a tuner....

problem solved.

+10000000

Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by metaxis
I'm actually agreeing with you. What i'm saying is that I don't have the energy to go into every thread where someone bashes Gibson to try and change their mind.

fair enuff... its my pet hate.