ok...i myself have written the lead, rhythm, and bass for all of my songs which clock in at 12 i think

and well my friend comes in...and says he and i are in a band together...we have played in front of small groups together and he totally kills whatever he plays (it isnt my stuff thank god) and he claims he is just messing around and will play good when he is in front of a crowd...i hang out with him every day and all he does is strum a G. Am, C, and a Em

heh strums them in different arrangements but the same count...

the other day he said he was leaving "our band" for a new one..i said ok

then today he says we are still in a band...

how do i shake him off...he isnt willing to learn or anything...and he doesnt want to listen

i dont wanna be an asshole about it
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
"dude, i dont think its working out, i think we need to take some time off. Its not me, its you"

seriously,

just tell him the truth or just avoid jamming with him until he just looses interest
what exactly do you want? a band? a jam friend? just carry on with him while looking for actual members for your band. once you find a different guitarist just say, 'hey man, going to do this side project with this guy'
you won't hurt his feelings.
i have tried that and he doesnt seem to care...we dont play any of the same music..or practice..but if he shows up to where i am and plays his guitar..then says he is in my band or whatever..it makes me look bad

its difficult...

he is selfish and likes to hog spotlight too...which is weird considering his playing abilities
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by GaijinFoot
what exactly do you want? a band? a jam friend? just carry on with him while looking for actual members for your band. once you find a different guitarist just say, 'hey man, going to do this side project with this guy'
you won't hurt his feelings.

i dont want him to be a band member or jam friend..he is to selfish and wont let me play with him...he just wants me to watch him hit the same 4 chords over and over..and doesnt want me to comment or help him progress...

he started calling our band his band...even though we havent written anything...and im not going to share my stuff with him
Quote by jsbud11
Quote by Devopast
Quote by amazing FretMan
i dont want him to be a band member or jam friend..

In which case, it doesn't really matter what you say to him, just say to him 'Fu*k off man, you're cramping my style.' and you'll probably never hear from him again.

Although, you must take into account that he might go around bad mouthing you you behind your back, which isn't healthy (as a musician, your reputation is VERY important) so it may be a better idea to just tell him you're 'leaving the band for a new one.'
Advice I give in every one of these threads.

"GTFO n00b"

Then burn his house down.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.