I'm learning a song with bar chords, and the long side of my finger is extremely sore. Does it get better like normal "guitar-callouses," or not? It seems like it would take a long time...maybe they just get built-up and not necessarily callouses?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
No I can do barre chords and I never got any sort of callouses. What gauge/type strings you using?
For me I got callouses on the side of fingers when i used to play barre chords
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX

It's fine on electric, but this is for acoustic...
above are my current acoustic strings
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Somehow I have callouses on my knuckles! I imaging all callouses get better after a while, they just have to get thicker, stronger, etc.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
youll be fine it just takes a while
i got blood blisters there all the time
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
you can get them anywhere really. they're like protection.

i bite mine off and boil them into a tasty soup.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
i bite mine off and boil them into a tasty soup.

i prefer to make a bisque out of mine, nice and tender
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
do the dishes three times at day, and make sure your hands are emersed in water as much as possible, this makes them softer
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
its probably because your fingers arent used to barring, keep practicing in moderation, and about the calluses, you can get them practically everywhere on your body, its there to provide extra protection on the area that keeps getting "attacked"
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
The part where I tend to hurt the most when doing bar chords isn't my index finger at all, it's my thumb. The muscles cramp like hell even though I've tried various recommended positions to keep it from doing so (like this guy tells you). And no matter how hard I press I always flat out the G and/or B string. It's probably cause my fingers are very skinny, you can feel the bone right through them.

It's really bringing me down because not being able to bar really hampers my progress at this moment. I've started using this ehh.. squeezing device.. for sporters originally.. to train finger strength
one night of drunken acoustic playing from 7pm to 3am and my fingers on my fretting hand were bleeding, including the side of my index finger from playing so many barre chords