so one day, i was playing a trivium song, crusade, and came upon a section that seemed hard, but not impossible. i tried to alternate pick, but couldnt do it fast enough. i kept trying and trying and still i cant get it. so then i come to find out theres this thing called alternate picking...so i said, cool, how do i do it? looked at it, and said, WTF!!!! Tried it and said WTF!!!! so i dunno if im supposed to sweep pick for that song or what, and i dunno any exercises that would improve my sweep picking. having played guitar for only 4 years, i know that it takes time, but im at a point where i can learn fast.

so, my 2 questions are:

In "The Crusade" (the song), do i have to sweep pick on that last part? (i think its an arpeggio)

Does anyone know of sweep picking exercises that REALLY help?

Thanks!
i know a simple sweep excercise that im still practicing. just go up a scale in three string arpeggios. so for example, D, Emin, F#min, G, A, B minor, C#dim. ill try and write out a tab for you if you dont know ur theory too well.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
and btw i dont listen to trivium so i wouldnt be able to answer some of your questions
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html

This lesson helped me quite abit while i was learning sweep picking..

Its gonna be hard to do at first because your hand isnt used to the motion.. But once you get the sweeping motion down its really easy to go from slow to fast IMO. Just make sure while you're doing it slowly you're able to hit notes evenly and without much tension in you arm.. A metronome would help alot.

EDIT: I listened to the song and i assume you are refering to the part starting from 6.05?
Last edited by xyber56 at Oct 7, 2008,
ok, so could someone explain how to do that? i tried to sweep that part, but i dont know if im even doin it right, oh and btw, thanks for the warmups, they rly help!
so your saying that i can alternate pick that part? but even still, is it REALLY impossible to sweep that and if it is, is there any song that sweeps that would be great to start off with?
Yes you can alt. pick it.
No, it's not impossible at all to sweep it.
Just to work on the sweep pattern, take off the lower notes on the B and A strings so you essentially get the basic shape of a C chord played higher up as opposed to a C∆7. Then add in the second note on the A string, and then later the second on the B string. (sorry if that's worded confusingly, I can't look at the tab now and actually use the notes from the song....)
im still having problems....i can sweep pick up but goin downs a whole other story....are there any tabs or such showing how to sweep for begginers?
youve played for 4 years and dont know how to or havent even heard of sweeping?

thats madness lol.

lots of good lessons on youtube/UG, get to it man...

Quote by XianXiuHong
Those sweeps are beastly and near impossible...

They ripped it off MAB though.

hardly.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Oct 23, 2008,