Just name a couple on set number tell why though.

IMO Chuck Berry and BB king because they inspired soo many people.

DISCUSS!!!!!11
unplugged ftw
Robert Johnson. Clapton's biggest influence, and he could play melody, bass lines, and strum the chord all while singing the blues. Way too good.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Man, there are a lot of them, but I think Robert Johnson spawned the whole thing. From there: BB, Berry, Muddy, Buddy, Clapton, Jimi, Page, Gilmour, SRV, EJ... I think there are many others that fit throughout, but that list really runs the blues spectrum. You know, guys that kind of took blues into their own subtle direction. You know, putting their own little twist on the blues.
Quote by gtarhro123
Just name a couple on set number tell why though.

IMO Chuck Berry and BB king because they inspired soo many people.

DISCUSS!!!!!11

both very original and inspirational
My favourite blues players are SRV and Eric Clapton.
EDIT: and Angus Young, Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page and Colin James
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I really like Jimmy Page... He is bluesy. I end up stealing a lot of pentonic licks from him for soloing. Muddy Waters is another really great player.
Hey, Musicology, great minds think alike...lol. BTW, why'd you put your gear on there? Was I supposed to?
T-Bone Walker beats the hell out of BB, imho.

B.B himself admits that without him there would be no B.B, and he was the first electric guitarist utilizing fills, etc.
what about the guys who invented it, i reckon they probably were pretty influential.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
John Lee Hooker

/thread.
^agreed
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, BB, and Robert Johnson come to mind, but none of them would be around if it weren't for Lonnie Johnson and maybe Eddie Lang.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, BB, and Robert Johnson come to mind, but none of them would be around if it weren't for Lonnie Johnson and maybe Eddie Lang.

Don't forget Eddie James House and Huddie William Ledbetter.
There are many great guitar players here, but few who could be called "Most Influential Blues Guitarists". Robert Johnson, SRV and others did little to advance the blues-they simply played it an an incrediably high level of quality. Clapton, Angus Young and Jimmy Page were far more influential in popular music than blues. And guys like John Lee Hooker and Chuck Berry laid the ground for rock n' roll guitar-not blues.

I would say if you wanted to find the most influential blues guitar players, you have to go back into the late 1800s, when blues was born.

Come to think about, delta players like Robert Johnson, Willie Mctell etc. made careers decades after the blues was created. They are truly amazing musicians, but I think in terms of influence, the names of those who truly fashioned the blues are lost forever.
My infuences are from 60s /70s era, I try to model most of my playing style after Duane Allman , Hendrix and others. I like that psychedelic type blues (Janis Joplin, etc.) Robert Johnson, JLH, and others helped create the genre and have influenced any blues player but music progresses throughout time and i like the direction those artists took the genre. But i would never had like the blues if it werent for SRV, thats what got me into the genre and i have to consider him a big influence.
Quote by imgooley
John Lee Hooker

/thread.

+1

And SRV, Rory Gallagher, Hooker, Cray, Peter Green
the primal sounds of the slide guitar touched all guitarist that came after it...from the deep south, country and Texas blues to the strong electric city blues from Chicago and Kansas city..
from this evolution came more recognition of the blues medium and who were the key players in it...all the best players acknowledge the known and unknown players that influenced them

todays and tomorrows major influences will continue to develop the blues idiom and let it evolve..from the basic acoustic slide guitar to the hybrid blues of jimi hendrix and all of todays modern blues and jazz players...going beyond the limits and definitions of blues..

the names are many but some that molded the guitar sound we hear and expect to hear in a players execution, the three kings, BB, Albert and Freddy created a standard and their voices can be heard in almost every blues guitar solo..

play well

wolf
This is an odd one. Influences kind of go in a chain if that makes sense. The original blues guitarists (many unknown) started it, whom influenced early blues guitarists from Ledbelly, Sonny Boy Williamson, Son House, Charley Patton etc.. which developed and broadened the genre. Then we get the likes of Hooker, Walker, Berry whom interpreted the original blues and developed their own styles and so on up to present day artists. It's impossible to narrow it down. It's not that simple. Why narrow it down anyway? Your own influences are you're own influences, some might cross with other peoples' but it's never the same. I could be completely ridiculous and say the most influencial was the first human soul to clap out a rhythm. Ridiculous? Mr Blues' signature quoting BB King sums it up I think.
Surprised Albert King hasn't been mentioned, he's my most influental.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)