I don't know if this has been asked before, but why do many people think the bridge pick up is best for distortion? I've read stuff like the bridge pickup handles distortion better? Why? I personally like the neck pickup a bit more because it sounds fuller and more of my original tone stays intact. Also the distortion sounds fine too me.
it depends on your tastes and genres.
when i play guns n' roses i tend to use the neck pickup, but when it comes to iron maiden i use the bridge.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
I prefer bridge because it has more of a bite, the sound is sharper. Neck sounds a lot smoother.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
The bridge pickup is usually a humbucker, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Froboarder
The bridge pickup is usually a humbucker, if I'm not mistaken.

depends on the guitar.
and yeah humbuckers are good for distortion.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Well when playing palm muted stuff you want the note to end not ring on. So using the bridge pickup will give you the cut off you want where as the neck pickup will leave it humming for a minute. Personally I only really use it for solos because High up the neck the bridge gives off too sharp a sound.
The reason the bridge pickup is the traditional "distortion" pickup is its location. Since the strings vibrate at shorter wavelengths on the bridge side, they have more treble (hence the name) and that permits a cutting sound without the muddiness and more articulation. This is also why the bridge pickup must be higher output than the neck pickup to equalize the volume.
bridge gives a trebly tone which balances out bass from the low string tones when your riffing or chugging away

some bridge pups are so trebly they sound awful when using higher up frets cuz thats like treble on top of some more treble (mosquito sound etc.)
Quote by nido
bridge gives a trebly tone which balances out bass from the low string tones when your riffing or chugging away

some bridge pups are so trebly they sound awful when using higher up frets cuz thats like treble on top of some more treble (mosquito sound etc.)

Hence the fact that neck pickups are great for sweeping arpeggios.