Hi all, i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post but here goes

I've been teaching guitar for a few months now, mainly kids from 9~15 and most are doing good. They are psyched to be here and learn etc.

But some kids are just not motivated, no signs of improvement and just look kinda bored when i teach them (usually 2~3 kids per class)

And these kids don't seem to listen to any music or rarely practices during their spare time. I've tried talking to their parents and asking the kids what's wrong or what they want to learn etc.

They just don't seem to be that motivated

Is this my responsibility to kickstart their motivation and give them music or are the kids ready to give up..?

thanks for helping and reading to my rant
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
In my opinion, it's cause they're bored of all the theory and practicing, and have yet to realize the importance of the aforementioned. They just wanna rock out, plain and simple.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Tell them "If you aren't interested, quit coming" ... and when their parents ask about what was said tell them "I honestly don't think that your son/daughter/whatever it is is very motivated. They may have potential to do something else, but only if they are motivated."
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Teach them some metal song or which ever genre they lissen to.
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
I've been teaching for a few years now and what I've done (mostly for the younger ones) is have them set a goal for how many days they can practice in a month and if they meet that goal then give them a prize at the end of the month. It doesn't have to be anything big, just like a little chocolate bar or a pack of stickers or something. This obviously is mostly for the younger kids but at least its a start. Hope that helps.
Use something tthey can relate to.For example in North Hollywood there are many gangs here.Last week my algebra teacher used gangsters instead of integers. Many kids understand it like that. Same thing.two years ago when iwas in 6th grade,my math teacher used Scarface for the lower kids (im in honors) and they understood it.
During a lesson, just kind of look down slightly, and sit there for about 45 seconds. Then look up and say, "I'm back." That's the way my physics teacher does it, and it's ****larious!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
My bet is that their parents are making them take lessons and they probably just don't want to. Music is something that people should discover for themselves, and once they do they'll want it to be a part of their lives forever. It probably doesn't help that they're young and don't have the patience to practice or to even listen to you speak either. That being said, you should still try to reach them somehow. Ask them why the started lessons in the first place, what they plan to accomplish on the guitar, what they hope to learn, etc., and base your approach off of those answers.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez RGA121
Vetta II HD
Show em a scale and improvise on it.

Seriously. It's what got me started.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
HOW DO I REACH THESE KEEEDS????
haha south park FTW!
i think you should just see if they even want too learn.
if they dont then who cares? its their problem, and you already have their parents money.
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
I dont know about your teaching style if your teaching theory or just how to play songs.

Something I have found about teaching/coaching is most kids want to play (insert activity of your choice) but not many want to take the time to learn how to play (insert activity)

My son plays hockey and we have a few kids who love talking about the game, wearing the uniform etc but when its rime to practice the intrest is gone. It may be some of your resposibility to get them to want to learn,however you may need to also figure out which students have the true desire to learn and diplomatically dismiss those who dont, so as not to hold those wanting to learn back.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
thanks for all the replies, i think i know what i should do to reach these kids

it seems that the electric class doesnt have as much problem with motivation :\ maybe acoustic just seems less interesting to kids..

Quote by MetalheadforJC
Teach them some metal song or which ever genre they lissen to.

lol i've tried, but the kids that are having problems are in the acoustic class, and they DON'T listen to music which makes it hard on me to pick a neutral song that they'll want to learn

Quote by AbstractDeth7X
My bet is that their parents are making them take lessons and they probably just don't want to. Music is something that people should discover for themselves, and once they do they'll want it to be a part of their lives forever. It probably doesn't help that they're young and don't have the patience to practice or to even listen to you speak either. That being said, you should still try to reach them somehow. Ask them why the started lessons in the first place, what they plan to accomplish on the guitar, what they hope to learn, etc., and base your approach off of those answers.

yea i got a feeling thats the problem too. i heard some of the kids do like 4 other outside school activities. hopefully they can be honest with me next week about it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by AbstractDeth7X
My bet is that their parents are making them take lessons and they probably just don't want to.

This was my initial thought too.

Quote by Aftermath
But some kids are just not motivated, no signs of improvement and just look kinda bored when i teach them (usually 2~3 kids per class)

And these kids don't seem to listen to any music or rarely practices during their spare time. I've tried talking to their parents and asking the kids what's wrong or what they want to learn etc.

They just don't seem to be that motivated
Learn NLP and Tony Robbins their ass?
Si
Quote by dm1925
haha south park FTW!
if they dont then who cares? its their problem, and you already have their parents money.

lol thats exactlly what i thought when i seen this thread and i read it like cartam said it on the show.

but you just need to lay it out there for the kid by asking them what tey would like to do first. that will hel hook them into wanting to play more than you can get into the more theory side of music.
Quote by dm1925
haha south park FTW!

lol yea i'm gonna say that to them one day

to telemonster

I agree, when i began teaching my goal was to teach them prac and how to rock, but it just takes them a long time to get use to songs and licks thats not just basic open chords (even harder when they don't practice at home..). and once their fingers are use to the guitar i will then dwell into some theory. But obviously some kids just wanted to play the guitar as if its guitar hero

thanks again to all the advice
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

One thing that may motivate these kids is, at the beginning of each lesson, talking about what you're going to cover. Then play them an example of something that is obviously beyond their reach. People seem to be attracted to things that they can't have. That may be the secret here.

If all else fails, offer them a playboy each month if they make substantial progress...
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Well, you can't make students learn. But you can motivate them. Its not entirely your job to motivaste them, but give them enough motivation for them to find their own.
Your job is to teach. If your teaching to a good standard then it's not your responsibility to go out of your way to make them practise.

You could try simple things like showing them songs they like but if they can't then you don't have to feel bad if you don't put in huge amounts of time and effort just to get them to play. Just tell them if they dont want to they dont have to.
There's always that kid(s) who's only there because their parents put them there, and usually because they don't want to deal with the kid either. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make an effort to reach them, but if they won't let you, it's not your problem. Just keep collecting your babysitting money and concentrate on your students who want to learn.
In the next lesson, shred their asses off, this would (hopefully) impress them to go "waoh, teach me how to do that!"
Ask them Individually what music they listen to and want to learn. I used to get guitar lessons in a group and I never learned what I wanted to learn so i stopped getting lessons there.

What do you teach?
Some kids do genuinely have bad attitudes, they really expect the guitar to learn itself if they're at lessons, or they just don't enjoy playing except with their friends at lessons, or they just don't any attention span at all.

Sometimes you just get bad chemistry in a band or group - in one of my groups a girl sits and sulks because her sister is better than her (because her sister practices, obviously), and insists on being as awkward as possible if I focus on her individually.

What can you do?

Some kids wanna play loud. Some want to have one on one lessons instead of group, and vice versa. Some kids aren't getting to play the music they like. Some kids need things to be shown to them, or played along with a backing track. Some kids are on the wrong instrument. Some kids have sore fingers and need to be reasurred that this goes away. Some kids are intimidated by others in their group. Some kids think they know it all already. Some kids need to see mad shred to put faith in you.

Once you've tried those, I think all that's left is the kids that are there because their parents want them babysat or hot-housed, or the kids who expect that people should do things for them - and it's beyond your brief to be a parent.

Hope that helped.

Tbh, as long as the student is enjoying lessons and is active during them, I wouldn't say it's a problem if they don't practice. It's money for nothing for you, and it's fun for them - and you're right there if their motivation picks up!

Good luck teaching mate.