Ok I need a smooth lead sound. Kinda like Vai or Andy Timmons. Right now my amp sounds like ice picks. To many shrieking notes that don't round off at all. I refuse to use pedals to do it because I hate pedals, and they never do anything for me. So it has to come down to settings I guess. You guys know of any generic setting to get a smooth tone so I could then just tweak it from there? Also would pushing my amp harder help out more. I would hate to resort to buying a new amp if I don't have to. If it helps my amp is a ENGL special edition. Thanks for any help.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
wuts wrong with pedals? im sure a compressor would help smooth that out for ya
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
boost mids lower the trebs and bass some the mids should b hiest bass second then trebs under all of it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
My jealousy of your amp is never ending. Dont those run for like 4 grand?

Anyway, if your skillful with tone knobs on the guitar, I usually round the tone off to about 7or 8 before a lead, it makes a world of difference.

Another option is use a wah pedal even though you hate pedals for some reason, and find the sweet spot on it, and solo away.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I just took my wah pedal out of my chain because I don't use it and when I do I don't really care for it. I don't have a tone know either, I took that off a while ago. I'm done with pedals because I can't stand how any of them sound, and I've dumped enough money on them to stop caring. I will try screwing with the setting a little more. I think I will just crank the shit out of it tomorrow, and see where it goes from there.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Well it will get warmer if you crank it of course, but stage volume is rarely comfortable to practice with. Try edging off you highs, or if you have one, a presence knob. That usually does the trick for my 6505. Im a huge tone knob guy, i fiddle with it all throughout the song, I dont know how people get away without one unless all you play is crue hah.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I've just never used my tone know so I decided to replace it with a kill switch. you I lower my treble a hell of a lot, and keep the presence way down.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by forsaknazrael
Which pickup do you use for your lead tones?
neck pick up, which is a bill lawrence.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
yeah, I'm about to give up on finding my tone because I just don't believe its possible.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
yeah, but the kill switch is to much fun. I will fiddle with the amp in the morning. Maybe I can at least get close so I can tolerate it again.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god