If you've toured/know much about vans please read! Thinking about buying a van

Hey guys, our band is heading out on a 3-4k journey this December / January and need a reliable van. I've stumbled onto a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 van for a more than reasonable price, and it's from a guy who was in a band that had to split up so he understands being in a band and doesn't want to screw me (or so it appears). We've arranged where we can test it to one of our out of town gigs coming up this month. However here are some details about their history of the van.

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Van V8
115,000 miles, TV, fold down bed, no AC

They originally got it and their guage to check if it was overheating was off so it got too hot and caused some bigger damage than it should have and they've replaced the following:
Both head gaskets, catalytic converter, thermostat, water pump, radiator cap, one of the hoses, and a sensor ("basically anything that could make it overheat was replaced")

It's been tuned up/had regular oil changes, needs new tires which we would put snow tires on any van before we head out.

My question is, I don't know how to take all the replacements. It's another kid and he's real nice, not sure whether ot say "well all that stuff is replaced so it should be fine" or to say "well they had the problems in the first place i wonder what could happen again"... so I was wondering if anyone had any input? Let me know what you think and thanks a lot.

-Steve
If they seem honest, it's good, just ask them about anything concerning.. If all the parts that could have caused it to overheat are gone, it should be fine, but just check it out first, you can never be too careful.. Also, what's this more than reasonable price?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Dude, basic purchase procedure,

1 find awesome van
2 look at awesome van
3 get van history
4 arrange to take it to a mechanic/have a mechanic come and check it out (always a 3rd party mechanic)
5 buy/don't buy

Never buy a car without having it checked over by a mechanic, EVER!

He'll give you the go on the replacements (whether the parts are good quality and if the issues will arise again)

It'll cost you about 100 bucks, but it's worth it.

And it's a good test of the sellers confidence, if they refuse to let you get it checked out, the van is ****ed.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
$2000, my blue book results suggest it is worth approximately 3000-3500
I wouldn't go for one with no AC if you can help it, even if you are touring for the winter now you may want it for the summer too, and that will be hell.

as for the replacements, that kind of crap happens, and presumably they fixed the problem when they did the replacemens.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The no AC might be bad depending on your location. I'd look into renting a van.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I wouldn't go for one with no AC if you can help it, even if you are touring for the winter now you may want it for the summer too, and that will be hell.

as for the replacements, that kind of crap happens, and presumably they fixed the problem when they did the replacemens.

if no AC is the van's biggest problem, i'd say it's in good shape. roll down the freakin windows.
Quote by schecter_guy
if no AC is the van's biggest problem, i'd say it's in good shape. roll down the freakin windows.

That really doesn't do a whole lot of good if it's a paneled van (ie no windows in the back) I've toured in one like that during the summer, that was seriously one of the worst experience of my life, the heat and the smell are just horrible.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The only real problem people seem to be adressing is the no A/C.. If the Van is so cheap, I'm sure a little extra money is worth it for some kind of cooling solution.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo