This thread is in appreciation of that little bar down that road that has a nameless blues band in twice a week. You have no idea who they are, but they beat the crap out of their guitars and they make em cry and sing.

I was in JJ Smyth's on Aungier St in Dublin, Ireland on Saturday, and I saw one of these bands play. The guitar player was playing left-handed, but his guitar was strung as if for a right handed player. But he was still caning it. JJ's is a crappy little pub with a tiny, narrow venue upstairs. It serves the best pint of Guinness you will get in Dublin and one of the cheapest too. There's blues 3 nights a week and jazz the other 3. I have seen some really great bands play there and I make a point of going once a month. I've not yet grown the balls to join the first-Tuesday-of-the-month open jam yet...

Share your stories of your local joint. This would also be handy if you're visiting somewhere and want to catch a gig (I randomly wandered into a bar in Montreal when I heard a guitar call me from inside... it was awesome, but I have no idea what it was called...
Life is like a power ballad...
Gear:
Admira Ronda (Classical)
Squier Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty w/ EMG Select
Blue Daisy Rock Daisy
Faith Saturn
Custom Ran (http://ranguitars.com/gal1.php?z=54)
Johnson JX20
Marshall AVT100
i wish i had a bar near me that had blues, id be too young though, but still i can only hope...
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
I'd kill for some live blues...

live ANYTHING
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
My local blues club is now Buddy Guy's Legends, which is maybe 2 blocks away. What sucks is that you have to be 21 for shows, and it's also going to move within the next year or so (my college bought it and everything else on the block out). I've been there for lunch though, its great, there's tons of blues stuff on the walls and a guy playing acoustic blues was there.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I've been to so many of those blues joints. There are a ton of them in Cleveland and a handful around Toledo where I now live.

Major Hoopple's (with the legendary Glenn Schwartz), Fat Fish Blue (Robert Lockewood played there weekly before his death), Wilbert's, Savannah, Loose Moose, Broadview...

I miss Cleveland
There isn't a real blues joint in my city, but a fresh new jazz club has live blues once a week. We also got a little week-long annual blues festival which is pretty cool. I've visited a couple of blues joints during different travels, and I absolutely loved each and every one of them...There's a lot of spirit in the crappy underground blues/jazz joints, which other 'modern' clubs/bars just don't have.
There's no night out in the jail !

Last.fm --> mas0nic
There a palace in Lake Geneva called Bobby Rocket's that hosts blues. There's an open jam once a week and a band or two plays a couple nights. There use to be a place in Delafield ( a converted old barn ), it housed a coffee shop and bar that hosted blues 3-4 nights a week but it closed. Bobby Rocket's will get a blue player or two form Chicago to show up every so often. So you got to take what you can get.
Quote by Carswell98
I'd kill for some live blues...

live ANYTHING

YES mate - same here!!!

ps: Your post made me giggle
I would kill for a great all ages jazz club in my city, but unfortunately we're flooded with indie and metal bands. Not that I have anything against those genres, it's just I would much prefer jazz to the other two.

EDIT: By the way Dchild, that's a pretty sweet avatar you got there.
Quote by ohhey9040
I would kill for a great all ages jazz club in my city, but unfortunately we're flooded with indie and metal bands. Not that I have anything against those genres, it's just I would much prefer jazz to the other two.

pretty much the same story here, and I dig indie, but most of it sounds so generic, and the metal here is absolutely atrocious
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by ohhey9040

Hell yeah
Quote by Carswell98
pretty much the same story here, and I dig indie, but most of it sounds so generic, and the metal here is absolutely atrocious

I agree 100% with that statement. Yeah, Bright Eyes and Saddle Creek Records were started in my city (the label is named after one of our streets) so we're one of the indie capitals of the world right now. Which, I like a lot of indie, but because of the aforementioned indie prominence in our city, we have a lot of bad and generic indie bands and singer-songwriters dominating our scene, so it would be nice to hear some bands that know more then 5 chords.
According to Wikipedia the town I live in (Leek, Staffordshire) has the most pubs per population anywhere in the UK. I don't think that it still does, a lot of them have closed now aswell, but that statistic alone pretty much explains that all there ever is classic rock cover bands or horrible HORRIBLE amateur Karaoke..

WIth some exceptions..

The pub I work at puts on an acoustic session every monday night, full of really properly talented musicians and there is all sorts played but a lot of blues (I always play blues and I'm there every week!) AND in the summer we hold 3 free all-day concerts in the beer garden which usually has a decent blues act or 2..

Here is me playing at one of the festivals to show you how pro the setup is.. Usually about 600 people there by the end of the night.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6g5LqAzRNQ

Also we have a decent blues cover band who are all from the session on monday nights.. Reefy Blunt & The Biftas.. They play a gig usually every weekend at one of the various pubs in town.. http://www.myspace.com/reefybluntandthebiftas1

Apart from that though we have nothing for miles around. Everything is crappy indie.
There's a bar here, I forgot the name, right on the beach. It's so awesome because you can stay at the bar and dance or just wander off to the beach and chill watching the sun set while listening to the blues and people cheering in the background.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Also we have a decent blues cover band who are all from the session on monday nights.. Reefy Blunt & The Biftas..

That is the best name for a band that I have ever heard.
Life is like a power ballad...
Gear:
Admira Ronda (Classical)
Squier Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty w/ EMG Select
Blue Daisy Rock Daisy
Faith Saturn
Custom Ran (http://ranguitars.com/gal1.php?z=54)
Johnson JX20
Marshall AVT100
There's none in my city .

Why there can't Mar Del Plata be like Buenos Aires, but without the shitty weather and the 6 million people?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||