so basically today my teacher noticed a crack in the guitar i play (which is a good mates guitar), i really dunno how i missed it, but it wasnt there a fwe weeks ago. though most of the time it wasnt stored in its case, ive never knocked it over, dropped it, anything. its a schecter hellraiser, a c1 i think.

my teacher was gonna get onto one of his mates and see what he suggests, so until he contacts me, ill ask here i realize this could be serious, n ive heard expensive, so im hoping its minor as i don't have much cash currently (n don't expect friend to pay cause it was in my care).

regardless of my seemingly pointless story, heres a pic of it. its 2nd-1st frets sorta thing =\ sorry bout bad quality.

thanks, any help is most useful.
Yeah, it looks like a scarf joint to me too. To do that so the guitars headstock won't snap off like they do so oftend on gibsons. It may not look good, but it makes the guitar better.

I guess it is possible that it is really a crack and that is just isn't a very good picture, but it looks like a joint to me.
Not taking any online orders.
It could be a scalf, but the curve of the line doesnt really look smooth enough to me

can we get some better pics, from all angles, if it is a scalf give your teacher a slap lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
oh thanks heaps! the old man also had a look just before n said it looks like a joint as well, much thanks. regardless, some more pics

cheers!
In the last pic it doesnt look as if it extends right up to the fretboard,

here you can see a smooth line that extends from the fretboard, all the way round to the other side joining up against the fretboard again

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/neck_onepiece_scarf.jpg

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/neck_bubinga_scarf.jpg

what guitar is it? Looks like a gibson style with a volute, which means its less likely to have a scalf.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
it looks like it's cracked just above the scarf joint...

put a little forward pressure on the headstock and see if the crack opens up. if it does, hold it open and fill it up with a sh*t load of titebond original or 5 minute epoxy and then wipe off as much excess as you can and clamp it together overnight. Then take some 320 grit paper and sand the glue flush and then spray it with a little clearcoat.

projectguitar.com has a tutorial about fixing a cracked headstock
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
oh wait... it's a schecter... yea, there's no hope for it...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
you can fix anything with enough glue, saw dust and duct tape

Quote by forsaknazrael
Better pics. That last one looks odd.

+1 I did see something resembling a crack in the last pic
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yeah, that last ones does indeed look like a crack... BUT, a crack in the finish, not the neck. I know from experience(a Schecter C1 my cousin owned), that sometimes Schecter finishes do crack and a tiny piece will fall off. It does look like a finish crack and not a crack through the neck though.
It does look like a finish crack.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
well, thanks to those who have been helpful, its definately no scarf now i know what that is :P

i will consult my mate (who owns the guitar) before i go about any surgery though