I have a friends who have both offered to buy a guitar for me. With, guess what, a +$3000 USD budget!

Now I have always, always wanted to buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Now that they're discontinued there are only two left where I live, and I want one before I miss my chance. A Standard Limited Edition that's teal with pure white bindings. And a honey burst standard with a matte finish. Which one?

EDIT: My choices are now a custom or the limited edition teal standard.
Last edited by meakel at Oct 8, 2008,
honey burst is a better look imo
Gear: I haz some

Quote by RCA1186
hah its ok besa, i still love you

^ guess someone has too
Get a custom or standard ESP with JB/'59 pickup set or buy some Gibson pickups and get them installed instead?
Or get a DECENT guitar and an amp/some good pedals.

I think Gibsons are a little overpriced nowadays....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
This is a second guitar, and as mich as I agree with the overpricing, I want the gibson standard before it goes.

(Someone else offered to buy another one for me! I'm getting her to get me a tele... )
(Ok for what you are about to read will not add anything to the post.)

WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU MEETING YOUR FRIENDS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Can I borrow them? I've never had a friend offer to buy me more than a meal or something really. And I have some awesome friends. Maybe we are just poor

You hang around rich friends??

Okay, I guess I'll add something, get the teal with white bindings. That'll look sick!!!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Hahaa, I knew this would pop up soon. I go to an international school so you need money to get in, in the first place. My parents spend a whole bunch of money on my edu so I'm like one of the poorest in my school. (Which is still like upper-middle class) And fortunately enough the people in my class are richest.

The girl that's buying me the LP? $3000 dollars a month. Crazy.
Quote by dunda130
Get a custom or standard ESP with JB/'59 pickup set or buy some Gibson pickups and get them installed instead?
Or get a DECENT guitar and an amp/some good pedals.

Based on what, exactly? Why should he get an ESP? He said he's always wanted a Gibson LP Standard and wants to choose between 2, and you come along and tell him to get an ESP based on nothing... right...

I'd say the teal one. =]
Why getting a standard?
They wont gain any value. They are discontinued because they are replaced with the std 2008.
Get a custom.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I know that, but why dont you buy a custom with the 3000$? Custom > std imo.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Really?......hmm....well that's a third choice I have now.

The main reason I want a std. is because I won't be able to get anymore.

^(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That sounds so wrong.....HAHAHAHAH.....)^
Quote by LP_CL
I know that, but why dont you buy a custom with the 3000$? Custom > std imo.

I always thought the Standard was nicer, flamed maple ftw.
Nah, custom has front AND back AND headstock binding (multiply!). The fretboard is ebony, and its body is unchambered. The custom also has a long neck tenon, while the std has a short one. And the woods used in the custom of a selected higher quality than the std.
Sorry, but custom ftw!

EDIT: and they have better tuners!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference on the 08 standard a slightly different neck? Anyway, you should buy an old Les Paul, they were better in the old days. I have one which is almost 20 years old, and it's awesome.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Joey Radical
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only difference on the 08 standard a slightly different neck? Anyway, you should buy an old Les Paul, they were better in the old days. I have one which is almost 20 years old, and it's awesome.

New tuners, straplocks, neutrik silent plug jack, long neck tenon are all new as well.

and I think the Custom's are a hit or miss. The one I palyed was terrible compared to the Standard.
If you're going to spend that much then Gibson is a ripoff IMO. I don't get the point of spending thousands more for small differences.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by meakel
Well, I want a standard because the 08 std is almost a completely different guitar.

The Standard isn't much of a different guitar, it's still chambered and things.

If you want a full on solid mahogany Les Paul, look at the Custom VOS line. They will be some of the best guitars you will ever play.

EDIT: Right, that's about $5000, so maybe not. But maybe a Traditional, which is weight relieved, not chambered, or the Custom. But get the one with 3 pickups, the 2 pickup one is ugly.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 8, 2008,
I simply can't believe three people are throwing 3000$ guitars at your feet. You must have the sweetest tightest anal cavity in Hong Kong
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!!.... it`s FREE, my best bud has a Spider 2 75 HD 1/2 stack, your damn right he`d be getting that Gibson Lp b4 he even thought about up grading to a better amp.

why your even asking is beyond me... it`s FREE!!!!
Hehehe......the two girls that are buying me my guitars are not some of the richest. Some of these other kids have double or triple the amount of money....

Unfortunately enough, I'd be pretty low on that ladder.....
Can I come to your school? I'm an excellent man-*****.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales