So I was just curious, how does it work? I'm after a simple explanation of the American hierarchy.

For example, here in Aus, we have local government (council local to your division), controlled by the state government, which is controlled by the federal government. That's a really really basic explanation anyway.

Yes?
A U S S I E
our government is run by evil monkeys
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Thanks for the useless response. But, add me on XBL when you get the chance (I won't be on for a couple of days) gamertag = HxC FTW
A U S S I E
ahaha, sorry it's pretty much ran the same way? Aren't aussies democratic or something around there?

HxC? original haha lol. you play COD4?
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Quote by Jcore44
So I was just curious, how does it work? I'm after a simple explanation of the American hierarchy.

For example, here in Aus, we have local government (council local to your division), controlled by the state government, which is controlled by the federal government. That's a really really basic explanation anyway.

Yes?

The Separation of Powers principle basically means separating the three main powers of government (executive, legislative and judicial) into three separate bodies to prevent corruption

In Australia, the Governor-General is technically the executive however in practice the power of the executive is vested in the party/coalition of parties with the majority in the House of Representatives, effectively making cabinet the executive. legislative is the parliament and judiciary is the high court.

as explained before the executive is drawn from the legislature meaning the two can barely be said to be 'separate' and there is minimal checks and balances that one can impose on the other.

America's system which in my opinion is far better and sticks more to the separation of powers principle:

The President and his secretaries are the executive. the president is not elected with nor does he sit in on the legislature

the legislature is congress, the judiciary is the supreme court

all have checks and balances on each other, such as the legislatures ability to impeach supreme court judges or the president; the presidents ability to veto a bill passed by congress or appoint a judge the supreme court; the supreme court's ability to deem an action (if it has been brought before it) of the legislature or executive as breaching the terms of the constitution
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
by the way our state government is NOT controlled by the federal government
not constitutionally, nor in practice
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by MHDrunk
by the way our state government is NOT controlled by the federal government
not constitutionally, nor in practice

this is true, however state government has to abide by federal law, so there is some conrol, but it's not a direct hierarchy.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
this is true, however state government has to abide by federal law, so there is some conrol, but it's not a direct hierarchy.

ill explain the division of powers

Exclusive powers are powers that according to the constitution only the federal government may exercise. these are things that need to be managed at a federal level such as immigration, tax, etc and effectively defence (not explicit in the constitution, but the constitution prohibits states from raising their own armies)

Residual powers are powers not mentioned in the constitution and thus left to the states

Concurrent powers are powers which both the federal and state governments may exercise. in the event that a federal and state law on one of these matters comes into conflict, the federal law prevails

as of 1983, if the commonwealth needs to legislate in an area that is considered a residual power, but it needs to legislate in the area in order to fulfil an international agreement to which australia is party, it can do so

Quote by MHDrunk
ill explain the division of powers

Exclusive powers are powers that according to the constitution only the federal government may exercise. these are things that need to be managed at a federal level such as immigration, tax, etc and effectively defence (not explicit in the constitution, but the constitution prohibits states from raising their own armies)

Residual powers are powers not mentioned in the constitution and thus left to the states

Concurrent powers are powers which both the federal and state governments may exercise. in the event that a federal and state law on one of these matters comes into conflict, the federal law prevails

as of 1983, if the commonwealth needs to legislate in an area that is considered a residual power, but it needs to legislate in the area in order to fulfil an international agreement to which australia is party, it can do so
yeah that's more or less how the US system works too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Okay thanks guys, I guess I wasn't very clear in what I was after, but you hit the nail on the head, so cheers.
A U S S I E
Quote by CoreysMonster

Fixed.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales