Page 1 of 3
So, Ive been checking out the religion thread, and the evolution vs creationism thread and seen a a few arguments of "the bible is so full of contradictions." That annoys me a bit because so often its taken out of context, which us christians are often accused of doing.
I'd just like to use this thread (if anyone actually reads it) to create an opportunity for people to post any questions or problems they have with the bible. Ill do my best to answer it.

Please dont turn this into a "your religion is wrong" type thing, take it to the religion thread.
Cheers.
The Bible is full of contradictions when you compare it to real life.

Quote by Twyman88
So, Ive been checking out the religion thread, and the evolution vs creationism thread and seen a a few arguments of "the bible is so full of contradictions." That annoys me a bit because so often its taken out of context, which us christians are often accused of doing.
I'd just like to use this thread (if anyone actually reads it) to create an opportunity for people to post any questions or problems they have with the bible. Ill do my best to answer it.

Please dont turn this into a "your religion is wrong" type thing, take it to the religion thread.
Cheers.

But, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Do that.
You're*
I recon this belongs to the Religion Thread.

Re..re...re...re...Reported! (Sorry for my stutter)
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

How was god created? Can you answer that one please. As I have had many conversations with Christians and they could not answer this, so i am hoping you can inlighten me.
The object of war isn't to die for your country it's to make the other bastard die for his.

New amp fund $51.53/$7000

Quote by j-e-f-f-e-r-s
If I'm in love, I use chloroform.

I know, I'm such an old-fashioned romantic.
Well I dunno but today people rising from the dead doesn't happen that much.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I'd like to know why there are two contradicting canonical references to the death of Judas.
The Gospel of Matthew says that, after Jesus' arrest by the Roman authorities (but before his execution), the guilt-ridden Judas returned the bribe to the priests and committed suicide by hanging himself.
The Acts of the Apostles (1:18) says that Judas used the bribe to buy a field, but fell down, and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by el-ECTRO

Well technically it didn't happen "that much" in the bible either. Just once.

But since you're female, I'm willing to forgive you your slight error
Quote by RoamingConflict

Quote by BloodMoon666
Well technically it didn't happen "that much" in the bible either. Just once.

But since you're female, I'm willing to forgive you your slight error

i know he di-int

lol
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
in the creation bit, how is it that god made two people, adam and eve and they parented two male children (cant remember their names) but then they breed the whole of humanity???
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Judas fell down and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Wow so he just exploded. Cool.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
Quote by snouta
in the creation bit, how is it that god made two people, adam and eve and they parented two male children (cant remember their names) but then they breed the whole of humanity???

i'm not religious but i do know that daughters werent frequently mentioned in the bible
Quote by snouta

After Adam became a priest, he had his female children executed for obvious reasons.
Quote by RoamingConflict

TS hasn't answered any questions yet...
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Quote by snouta

I think after Adam & Eve God created more people but they weren't as famous I suppose.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
The Bible can't be taken on face value given that it's been mistranslated and rewritten several times, often to put whoever was in charge in a more favourable light.
Quote by saphrax
Bibilical Fact: Jesus fed 5000 with a loaf or bread and a fish.

Hypothesis: A modern day Jesus could rescue the world's economy with a fiver.

Whaddya reckon?

he's ****ing jesus, he's supposed to be able to do stuff like that.
Why do some people take it literally, and others not take it literally? Also, why does the bible tell us to stone children to death if they steal?
Bible never specifies the sizes of the loaf of bread of fish, nor does it say how much each recived. It might be a giant loaf that everyone got a crumb of, technically he's feeding them.
Why doesn't god heal amputees?
I want to go as far to the edge without going over. Out on the edge, you can see all kinds of different things.
Quote by ricy_12
How was god created? Can you answer that one please. As I have had many conversations with Christians and they could not answer this, so i am hoping you can inlighten me.

I can't help you with the God issue, but I can help your english. It's spelt enlighten.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
he's ****ing jesus, he's supposed to be able to do stuff like that.

i don't care who he's sleeping with, it's still impossible.
Quote by JackalUK
The Bible can't be taken on face value given that it's been mistranslated and rewritten several times, often to put whoever was in charge in a more favourable light.

so how should it be taken?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
It is believed that Adam and Eve also conceived daughters, but since they weren't nearly as important as Cain and Abel they weren't mentioned. So, yes, you could say that incest created humanity through the Christian viewpoint.

As for resurrections, it happened more than once in the Bible. Jesus, Lazarus, etc.

And for the Acts vs Matthew on Judas' death, there's quite a lot of explanations, ranging from typology errors to the account being similar, but having different expressions in the original translations being confused. As well, when it says Judas bought the field, and then the Priests bought the field, it could indeed be both if you consider that Judas bought the field, died in the field, and then the Priests bought it.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by JackalUK
Bible never specifies the sizes of the loaf of bread of fish, nor does it say how much each recived. It might be a giant loaf that everyone got a crumb of, technically he's feeding them.

It does say that everyone was satisfied and that there were 17 baskets (or so) of leftovers.
Quote by ricy_12

Why do you think God needed to be created. He existed before time and is not bound by time so there was no point that he needed to be created.
Quote by Amalgam
It is believed that Adam and Eve also conceived daughters, but since they weren't nearly as important as Cain and Abel they weren't mentioned. So, yes, you could say that incest created humanity through the Christian viewpoint.

Incest created humanity from the scientist's viewpoint as well
Quote by Amalgam

And for the Acts vs Matthew on Judas' death, there's quite a lot of explanations, ranging from typology errors to the account being similar, but having different expressions in the original translations being confused. As well, when it says Judas bought the field, and then the Priests bought the field, it could indeed be both if you consider that Judas bought the field, died in the field, and then the Priests bought it.

But as it written in the modern day Bible, it's still a contradiction?
Quote by chrismetal86
Why doesn't god heal amputees?

When did he say that he would? Find the verse.
Quote by saphrax

Whaddya reckon?

Hungry people and the economy are different things. Infact, if Jesus were to come along and feed everyone it would probably make the economy worse off.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Why do some people take it literally, and others not take it literally? Also, why does the bible tell us to stone children to death if they steal?

much of these radical laws people find in the Bible are in the Old Testament--the law given to the Jews, the Israelites. Not to Christians. Christians are products of the New Testament.
stuff. :
PRS SE Singlecut
Peavey Triple XXX Super 40 Combo - for sale? considering selling it.
VOX Tonelab LE
Old stuff:
Ibanez GRG270CA (for sale)
Amteq LG15 (for sale)
Zoom G1 (for sale)
Wow, popular thread, most of mine get ignored. Theres just something about religion that draws people in. How interesting.

Quote by saphrax

Whaddya reckon?

This argument lies along the same line as, if god is real then show it to me by moving this pen. God isn't here to save the world. He also isn't bound by the laws of logic that we operate on.

Quote by BloodMoon666

Why does God need to be created? Once again you're comparing him to our known laws of logic. Time and space didnt exist before it was created, so therefore the idea of "creation" didn't come into effect till then. God is not a "thing" he exists outside of it, so even if he was "Created" it would be in a form we cannot understand.

Quote by el-ECTRO

Yeah but it does happen. I dunno where you live, but in America have you heard of the Florida Revival? In a few third world countries like Papua New Guinea I've heard stories of it happening. And thats even without Jesus around.

Quote by SlackerBabbath
I'd like to know why there are two different canonical references to the death of Judas.
The Gospel of Matthew says that, after Jesus' arrest by the Roman authorities (but before his execution), the guilt-ridden Judas returned the bribe to the priests and committed suicide by hanging himself.
The Acts of the Apostles (1:18) says that Judas used the bribe to buy a field, but fell down, and burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

He would of hung himself in the field, and perhaps the rope snapped or something happened that caused him to fall which could have broken his bowels. As for buying the field, it says in Matthew that Judas threw the coins on the ground and the religious leaders used them to buy a field. Which, strangely enough, both fields come to be called the Field of Blood. Its probabaly just some confusion over whther Judas owned the land or not because he "gave over" the coins"
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Really?

Well, yeah...
The theory of evolution pretty much says that we are all inbred mutants.
Simple! Everything is simple!

How does Jesus prooved, that he is Jesus? He created a miracle.
Did anybody of you see a miracle? I think even you haven't heared about miracles, appeared in last 1500 years.

What is this all for? - No miracle-no God.
fgsfds
Quote by BloodMoon666
After Adam became a priest, he had his female children executed for obvious reasons.

He didn't want them cruising UG forums.
Even Adam thought we were full of fail
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by penguinsarecool
much of these radical laws people find in the Bible are in the Old Testament--the law given to the Jews, the Israelites. Not to Christians. Christians are products of the New Testament.

Old Testament laws still apply to Christians.

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

So, eaten shellfish lately? Enjoy hell.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 3