OK.

I have the Monterey MJB-4 Ash bass. Jazz Bass with Maple neck fretboard and Ash body (I think, could also be a maple body, its REALLY heavy)

at the moment the only thing I've changed is are the strings

It sounds good, I was going to just leave a set of strings on it for ever and such and use it for blues and jazz. But even with dead strings it has a bright attack to it that reminds me of metal. so that idea is out of the question so I will be using it as a Take around bass, as it was a cheapy.

For a cheapy the wood is amazing, the electronics and stuff stink, bad

So, if you could kindly fill out this form with recomendations and a reason as to why and lets not limit the price, but nothing ridiculous

Pickups (Jazz Sized):
Bridge:
Tuners:
Nut:
Pots:
Anything Else You Deem Necesarry:

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I do like a Brighter Tone, so when the strings went dead it was like a sharp dullness that I would would rock for metal, not what I play, I do a lot of Funk, Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock and I can get into a bit of Punk

Also is it worth getting it Routed out and putting in a Darkstar Humbuckers and have it as quite an individual Bass?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Oct 8, 2008,
Pickups (Jazz Sized): Duncans
Bridge: Badass 2
Tuners: Gotoh, Grover or Hipshot
Nut: Brass
Pots: Vol/Tone Stacked Neck and bridge with individual outputs
Anything Else You Deem Necessary: not a whole lot, maybe straplocks
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I'd go with a Gotoh bridge...BAs are just too much trouble, and there's a good risk of only beind able to get medium to high action on them.

Bartolini pups sound like something you'd like
Nope, no sig here.
Im doing exactly the same thing on a cheap jazz 5 i picked up. I intend to defrett, repaint, new wiring and pickups.
Pickups Bartaolini
Bridge Badass 2
Tuners Hipshot light?
Nut no idea
Pots: any thing really go look up fender and seymour duncun sites for wiring diagrams
Some straplocks maybe defret it and anything little.
good luck
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
BAs are just too much trouble, and there's a good risk of only beind able to get medium to high action on them.

what bridge are you using? i can have the strings flat against the fret with mine (not that i would want to though!).

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
The risk of that being a problem is with basses that have necks set deep into the body...my SX, for example, has about 1/4" between the top of the body and the face of the fingerboard, and it's fretless. Most BA bridges wouldn't agree with that at all without new saddles.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 8, 2008,
Pickups (Jazz Sized): EMG JHZ's (if you want passive, if active, go for other EMG's) beautiful attack. For a smoother sound, go for the Fender noiseless set, though by what you said, I'd say EMG.

Bridge: Leo Quan Badass II, best bridge possible for Jazz atyle basses, in my opinion.

Tuners: Hipshot, maybe an extender on your E string for instant drop D.

Nut: Whatever you want, I'm not picky on my nuts.

Pots: EMG BQS system. Amazing versatility.

Anything Else You Deem Necesarry: Schaller Strap Locks. Used em, great product.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
if you dropped in some nordstrand jazz pickups and a j retro preamp you would have an amazing sounding bass. It would be expensive, but it would sound awesome.
The badass II bridge is simply amazing. Screw the "Rebels" :P
By the way, i've found that ash bodies are actually heavier than maple.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
ash really can be quite heavy. especially cheap bass ash. I played a fender 51 P reissue that felt like a sexy brick.

expensive basses tend to be more consistent in the weight of their ash though.

+1 on Bartolinis. and what makes the j-retro different again? I've heard it before, but I forget. and it's relevant anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Pickups (Jazz Sized): Bartolinis
Bridge:BadAss2
Tuners:Gotoh
Nut:Graphtec
Pots:CTS
Anything Else You Deem Necesary:Strap locks, Tone switch?, Wire your pickups to where they can be turned on as humbuckers (I heard of this being done, but not sure how to do it.)

Just go crazy. The tone switches are nice really, and I can help ya out with it if you need it, just PM me. I have the plain pickup tone, tone knob on about half, and tone knob cranked bassically as the settings on mine, and its handy to have that way.
Quote by derekwalden_-33
Pickups (Jazz Sized): Bartolinis
Bridge:BadAss2
Tuners:Gotoh
Nut:Graphtec
Pots:CTS
Anything Else You Deem Necesary:Strap locks, Tone switch?, Wire your pickups to where they can be turned on as humbuckers (I heard of this being done, but not sure how to do it.)

Just go crazy. The tone switches are nice really, and I can help ya out with it if you need it, just PM me. I have the plain pickup tone, tone knob on about half, and tone knob cranked bassically as the settings on mine, and its handy to have that way.

Almost all jazz bass pickups are wound like this.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
OK, Sweet

Thanks for all the responses

So far I've decided I will go for

Badass II Bridge, As my neck is not set deep into the body
Hipshot Tuners with that Low E Extender thang
some kind of Bone Nut
And for the Pots I was thinking just the standard Fender Replacement Pots

And I'm still tossing up the Pickups.

now its between the Bartiloni's and Re-routing it for some Darkstars.

I'm leaning towards the Darkstars
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"