Anyone ever did their precious guitar buy online? Fears? Experiences?

Any bad stories? What are some trustworthy sites?

My idea is to try out one now and order the same model via the internet. Good idea?
Good idea. Try it out first. I found Musiciansfriend to be very good. Good prices, I got free shipping, I ordered it on suday, got it on thrusday. Of course, if there is not that much of a price difference, I think it would be better to support your local store.
I read a Slipknot interview with Mick Thompson (I'm not a great fan, just got the mag for the interview with Les Paul and Slash), and he said that if you find a guitar in a shop that just feels right, then get it right there, because each guitar is always gonna be different because no two pieces of wood are exactly the same.

But if you want to buy from online, eBay is a pretty safe bet; just go for a guy with really good feedback. Also try musiciansfriend and zzounds.
no no no no no no no

mick thompson is soooooooooo right !!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Anyone used Project Music in the UK.....??
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
no two guitars will ever sound the same (except Danelectros, they're made from masonite for Christ's sake!). luckily, some sites like Music 123 and Musicians Friend have a good return policy. In my town, all the guitar shops are matching the prices to keep up with the internet.

i'd say get a guitar from your local guitar shop. if you order a Schecter, will the local guitar shop know how to service it? most places will have a "(insert brand name here) Authorized Dealer" sign in the window to show which brands they specify in.

plus, they normally throw in some free stuff like a strap, picks, maybe a cord.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 8, 2008,
A lot of it is bullshit and he's basically just rambling, but the point he's trying to get across makes sense.

What guitar should I buy:

"Don't go buy X brand of guitar or whatever model because it looks cool. It's not an accessory for you visually. You've got to play the guitar that's right for you and that fits the music you play as well as your style of playing within the style of music you're playing. There's so much more to education about the guitar than just getting notes to come out. For kids in the market for gear, if you play a guitar in a shop and you love the way it feels and sounds, don't then go low ball and order the mother****er from some mail order house. Buy that one. If it sounds great and plays great and the frets are all perfect, because you order one you could have shit frets. . . if you think about it the guitar is made from wood, multiple pieces of wood, and each one of those pieces of wood is from a different tree in a different place with different atmospheric conditions and all that shit. A piece of mahogany is not just a piece of mahogany. If you put two pieces side by side they are going to be sonically different. If one really sounds great, buy that one right there. If you approach the guitar as an accessory to be looked at then **** you really. I've spent too many years playing guitars that didn't really do it for me. If it sounds good it doesn't matter what it looks like. Hang on to it." Mick Thompson

tl;dr every guitar is different, don't buy one as a visual accessory
Like everyone else I try to buy guitars at a store like guitar center. But cables and strings and whatever else I buy online. I buy them at musiciansfriend.com

They are great for this. Fast shipping. Great prices. If they mess up an order like if you order 5 set of strings but they send you 3. They will send you the 2 sets without questioning it
A while ago I wouldn't have seen a problem at all with buying a guitar on the internet, but after doing some serious guitar shopping for the first time there is no way in hell I would ever buy off the net. Even in looking at different guitars of the exact same model (Ibanez SA120, specifically) I ended up finding each one slightly different even if I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was. Plus when you actually shop for a guitar you are more then likely to look at and try guitars you wouldn't have considered otherwise.

In addition, shopping for a guitar is also just a ton of fun so why pass up the opportunity.
places like ebay are safe. I've bought thousands of dollars worth from there and when you get a bad seller who wants to be funny and doesn't post your item you just open a paypal dispute and get your money back in 2 weeks.
Quote by kenan6346
A lot of it is bullshit and he's basically just rambling, but the point he's trying to get across makes sense.

What guitar should I buy:

"Don't go buy X brand of guitar or whatever model because it looks cool. It's not an accessory for you visually. You've got to play the guitar that's right for you and that fits the music you play as well as your style of playing within the style of music you're playing. There's so much more to education about the guitar than just getting notes to come out. For kids in the market for gear, if you play a guitar in a shop and you love the way it feels and sounds, don't then go low ball and order the mother****er from some mail order house. Buy that one. If it sounds great and plays great and the frets are all perfect, because you order one you could have shit frets. . . if you think about it the guitar is made from wood, multiple pieces of wood, and each one of those pieces of wood is from a different tree in a different place with different atmospheric conditions and all that shit. A piece of mahogany is not just a piece of mahogany. If you put two pieces side by side they are going to be sonically different. If one really sounds great, buy that one right there. If you approach the guitar as an accessory to be looked at then **** you really. I've spent too many years playing guitars that didn't really do it for me. If it sounds good it doesn't matter what it looks like. Hang on to it." Mick Thompson

tl;dr every guitar is different, don't buy one as a visual accessory

Thats a good point.
HI
Quote by Grawgos
Good idea. Try it out first. I found Musiciansfriend to be very good. Good prices, I got free shipping, I ordered it on suday, got it on thrusday. Of course, if there is not that much of a price difference, I think it would be better to support your local store.

yeh i would also, mainly because you know what it looks like before you get it, it will be set up and ready and shall it fail, you have a warranty on it, then you can simply take it back and get a refund
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
I've purchased 4 guitars online. All have been outstanding. The 1 guys service is so good (bought 2 from him) i'll probably never purchase a guitar from anyone else. Trust is a huge thing. If you ever find a good salesman stay with the guy for the rest of your life if you can.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I always buy strings online so I can get them in bulk for a lot cheaper. As for guitars, like others have said, it's nice to hold it in your hand before you buy. I'm not incredibly picky and I knew what I wanted so I ordered 2 guitars from zzounds.com. Both guitars play great and they don't have any defects, so I'm happy.
"Puberty was very vague. I literally locked myself in a room and played guitar."
-Johnny Depp
I buy about 80% of my guitars online. I think I'm not as picky as most because I know how to do a setup and I tend not to buy crap.
Quote by Shabadoo
A while ago I wouldn't have seen a problem at all with buying a guitar on the internet, but after doing some serious guitar shopping for the first time there is no way in hell I would ever buy off the net. Even in looking at different guitars of the exact same model (Ibanez SA120, specifically) I ended up finding each one slightly different even if I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was. Plus when you actually shop for a guitar you are more then likely to look at and try guitars you wouldn't have considered otherwise.

In addition, shopping for a guitar is also just a ton of fun so why pass up the opportunity.

I think what folk are getting at is this: nobody is saying you are likely to experience a problem with buying a guitar online, its just that a guitar is a kinda personal thing and you should really (if you want the right one) get the chance to feel it, play it etc..

i kinda believe that there is an intangible quality about the "RIGHT" guitar for you. You will know which oneyou should buy when you play it.

you might well get a decent guitar online, but will it be "your" guitar??? maybe... maybe not... is it worth the risk??? definately not!!

I dont think im explaining this very well, i hope u all understand what im driving at
Quote by stratdud39
i would never buy a guitar from a shop, because all guitars are different.
mick thompsons right.

surely you mean youd never buy a guitar onlne?
What about a limited edition model only available online, and by limited edition i mean, it dont just look differnt, like it may have an ofr instead of an lfr or might have active emgs over passive emgs. What would be good advice their
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
yeah... i guess... im just kinda overly attracted at the really low prices. u__u im all the way over in australia and things here are super pricey.

amp online ok?
Quote by wolfofmibu
yeah... i guess... im just kinda overly attracted at the really low prices. u__u im all the way over in australia and things here are super pricey.

amp online ok?

Well, if you've played the amp in person and you liked it, you could go for an online store (although with tube amps there might be some slight variations).

I've bought two guitars online: my archtop (which I had already tried before) and my fretless (impossible to find in a store).

Buying online is always a bit of a gamble; I prefer buying from a regular store, but sometimes you have no choice.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!