I've got this song by the chilli's down pretty good now, but 1 part always screws me up, because I can't get it to sound right.

There is an open A string in the opening Riff that sounds punchy, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop the not from ringing out. I've tried to mute it by resting my pick on it and Ive tried to rest multiple fingers against it, but all sounds terrible.

Anybody here have any suggestions on how to stop this string from ringing out.

I've only been playing for about a year, so am still fairly new and just started to play electric last week - never had this problem on an acoustic.

Thanks
instead of playing the open A, can you play it on the E string, (5th fret). And use your fingers to stop the not ringing out?
Quote by samjackson1990
instead of playing the open A, can you play it on the E string, (5th fret). And use your fingers to stop the not ringing out?

My bad, it's actually the open D string, not the A -

So, I tried to actually play the fifth fret A string, but it doesn't really work, because you are supposed to play it fast and the rest of the notes you are playing are on the 7th, 8th, and 9th frets. I guess i could try to get fast at moving hand up and down there for the individual notes, but it feels better keeping all the fingers between the 7th and 9th frets.

Any other suggestions??
It's played on the 5th fret of the A string. It takes a bit of practice to get the timing down, but it sounds right once you get it.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
10th fret on E string?

Palm mute?
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
Use the meat of your index finger to stop it from ringing while holding down the 7th fret.

Stop at this point and play the D-string. If it rings, you need to move your finger more over to stop it. If it makes a click sound for a dead note, congratulations.
Pinch Harmonics are all about luck. The more you practice them, the luckier you get.
i play this song by using a standard barre chord shape except using the index finger to mute over all of the strings and only fret the notes you want. I like the sound of the string muting...it gives it that funky kinda sound
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Thanks for all the input...

Just like everything else I think it is going to take a bit more practice. Will keep posted on what method works best for me. I like the idea of trying to barre the 6th fret, but will have to try.
def try the 5th fret on the A, thats how I play it, the speed will come...but its easily feasible to be able to play fast doing it like that
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by nemjeff13
def try the 5th fret on the A, thats how I play it, the speed will come...but its easily feasible to be able to play fast doing it like that

Took a while to respond, but thanks for the help. This is definitely the easiest way to play it for me and it sounds good.
I played it for my Year 12 exams at school, I use my thumb to stop the open D ringing out, my drummer (who also plays guitar) uses the 5th fret of the A string... experiment with it, you'll get there. =]