I searched, but was not quite sure what to search on other than string mute and I got a bunch of palm muting threads so here goes:

I have been "faking" the following by simply playing teh adjacent strings which suits my needs pretty well so far, but I would like to get this down technically.

I have been trying to mute the middle string with my index finger, but it never really works and I have a hard time changing positions with this configuration. Any help from the veterans here?

|--------------------------------------------| 
|--10--5--7--7--7--9--9--10--10--12--14--17--| 
|--10--5--7----------------------------------| 
|--8---3--5--5--5--7--7--8---8---10--12--15--| 
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by headmunke
I do it with my index

So you would have your index finger on the top and muting the middle string?

Sounds logical, why didn't I think of that. I will have to try that tonight.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by Rio38
I have been trying to mute the middle string with my index finger

That's the right way to do it. Don't arch your index finger as much as your normally would so it mutes the middle string.

Also, these are octaves and they see some heavy use in certain genres, so it's a good skill to have.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
if you by middle string mean the D-string I usually mute that with my ring finger and the low E and B-string I never hit anyways if I'm not supposed to so that's no worry for me.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Yeah what I do in that situation is more lay my index finger on the A string. The tip is touch the E, fretting the needed fret on the A, and touching the D string at the same time. That way I don't have to worry about hitting either the E or D string and i get a nice clean tone from the A and G strings I'm playing.

It takes a little getting used to since you are taught to curl the fingers to fret chords cleanly. But you will have to alter almost all techniques to suit another one. This is one of those. Just lay that index finger more, and fret the G string with the ring finger and just slide accordingly.

Hope that helps man.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Thanks guys. I will try this out tonight. Just another thing I will have to get used to I guess.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky